Samsung HLR4667W / Directv H10 ... tweaking help

Username: Rcraig3

Post Number: 1
Hi,

First timer here, so please be gentle! :-)

About my setup: I just purchased a Samsung HL-R4667W and had Directv upgrade me to their H10 HD Satellite receiver. I have a HDMI cable running directly from the D* Receiver into the Samsung DLP. I have an optical audio cable running out of the D* Receiver into a Yamaha HTR5280 AV Receiver.

My main area of confusion is with the settings within the D* Receiver for HD. Under the HDTV setup there is a Resolution Tab. I currently have TV Res set to "All" .... is this correct? I also currently have Native set to "Off." With this configuration, let's look at ESPN-HD. When I hit info on the Samsung remote it says it's running 1920x1080i @ 60hz.

If I go back into the settings and change Native to "On" and hit the info button on the Samsung remote again, it says that ESPN-HD is now running 1280x720 @60hz.

Here's the problem & confusion. When I have Native set to on, when I go from a channel that is Native 1280x720 to the next channel that is Native 1280x720 it works like a charm. *BUT* (for example) I just changed the channel from ESPN-HD to HBO-HD and this channel is 1920x108i and there is a screen black out (green screen) and pause/flutter that is driving me nuts. Likewise, if I go from either EPSN-HD, Show-HD, or HBO-HD to a non-HD channel that is running native 720x480, I get the same horrible behavior. So, any recommendations on what HD settings I should be using is greatly appreciated. Is just turning Native to off the recommended option or is there a flaw in the technology or is this just a setup issue?

Also, I just found this forum and see many recommendations to us Component cables for video where I am using HDMI. Any explanations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the help.
Rob

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 242
Hi Rob,

Since you have a native 720P set that means any signal it receives will be scaled to 720P. So, if you feed it a 1080I signal it will scale it to 720P.

On the H10 you should have the resolution set to "720P" instead of "All". That way the set doesn't have to scale it. Keep "Native" off.

That should correct any black out or green screen.

If that doesn't stop the problem then it lies with the HDMI connection, which isn't a trouble-free exact science yet. Keep the same suggested settings and switch to a good set of component (Pr, Pb, Y) cables. They will look every bit as good and solve the problem. You can use the HDMI for an upconverting DVD player.

I just learned something about HDMI connections from Direct TV. They came out with a firmware upgrade, which is sent down the bit stream. It is supposed to correct a darkening condition for H10 owners who use HDMI. I don't know the version of the upgrade. I just know it exists.

Manipulating these ones and zeros is obviously a daunting challange. I have battled several firmware upgrade problems with my Samsung Direct TV TS360.

Username: Rcraig3

Post Number: 3
Thanks much for the response.

Yes, I can set the H10 to a resolution of 720P, instead of all. When doing so (and even with HDMI) it looks good and the channels change with no issues (no flicker, black-out, etc). I just thought that channels like HBO-HD and Showtime-HD would look better being displayed at 1920x1080i on my set. I still have a learning curve to get past with all this HD stuff.

Thanks again!

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 244
Yea...took me a while to realize that an HD set only displays in the format it was made to display.

If someday we can afford the 1080P sets we will want to set our DTV receivers to 1080I.

Unregistered guest
My establishment (a sports bar&grill) only uses Direct tv for the Football and NCAA basketball, and we get a couple HD channels (espn, espn2,...), everything else comes from Comcast cable. Is there any way to get the cable channels thru the H10? We have other brands of HD receivers and they will pick up the cable channels, but I can't figure out how to do it thru the H10. I appreciate your time and your much needed help.

Unregistered guest
Rob,

I believe FYI had some good info for you there .. but I think he may have misunderstood your setup. Even though your TV is DLP, you said yourself the Samsung said the resolution was 1920x1080i on certain channels. Since your TV supports this, you will have more resolution if you set your H10 to use '1080i only' - and you are right for thinking some of those HD channels look better at that resolution (since they are probably ACTUALLY broadcast in full 1080i and not 720p).

You should also not get the 'flicker' in changing channels - as I have my H10 set this way and am also using the HDMI output to my TV - and I don't get the 'flicker' changing channels with '1080i only'. Just make sure to set Native to 'OFF' so that the H10 doesn't try to change the resolution on 480p/720p programming. It should display ALL programming at the 1080i resolution - even though you obviously won't get the benefit of 1080i if the original broadcast is in 480p, you shouldn't get the annoying flicker effect when changing channels - and will enjoy the better HD programming like Discovery HD and occasionally ESPN HD in true 1080i HD.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Username: Arazkilam

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,

I just purchased a samsung hl-5667w. I don't know if I am being paranoid but I think they sold me a opened box item at full price.

First, when I went to go set my TV guide menu, the zip code was already set to zip code of a city nearby the store, but not the stores. Also, I noticed none of the manuals were packaged in a plastic bag and the batteries were already in the remote. Hopefully, I am being paranoid but if anyone can tell me how these items should have been packaged that be great. Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 95
Hm, the battery thing is all I need to hear. It was opened previously. I would go to the store with my reciept and tell them your problem and say you want either a new set or ten percent off the price of the one you purchased. Option two would be epspecially attractive provided the set is in good working order with all manuals, remotes warrantee cards etc.... Option three is they eat a 2900 dollar or so return. I assume you bought this from a brick and mortar store and not online? CC Or BB are not allowed to sell open box items as new.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us