Do NOT buy DLP or RPLCD ..You will be sorry

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 171
Just read down this page and notice how in a Rear Projection thread there are a myriad of issues with the new technology and hardly ANY threads regarding RP CRTs...

I came into this forum just like you looking for information on the new sets. The I started reading about Bulb issues (at $2-300 a pop per year in many cases) VGame issues with lag, audio video sync issues, noise issues, a plethora of screen artifact issues and then when service is called in the service men are clueless and messing with $3000.00 toys.....Scary stuff.

My logic is this. If RPCRTs are so bad why is not that reflected here except in DEFENSE of the new technology? IF the new technology is so good. Why all the complaints and issues on not only this forum but a few others? Only the affected complain? Well apparently there are not many affected RPCRT users here.

This technology is still in "beta testing " stages. People are paying a premium to own (and test) a technology that is clearly not ready for the masses. If one were to buy a RPCRT today which is a great value considering size and picture for around $1000-1500. In my opinion they would be able in 4 years to purchase a digital TV which will then be of a format universally accepted be it DLP, LCD or whatever. That format will be proven beyond issue and only refined (not reinvented each year as now) for the SAME cost.

One would then have both TVs for the price one pays today for a much inferior and problem laden technology where even the service techs do not know whats up.

Television studios (ask in your town) are replacing their bad CRTs with NEW CRTS (NOT digital screens) That should tell you something about the quality issues.

I say let the boys who have to be on the bleeding edge pay the R&D costs for the technology to get better. There is just not that much quality HD content to jump in for the expense and issues today. The government will mandate digital broadcast only but not for quite a few years and keeps pushing it forward. When that happens the TVS will be much better, cheaper, techs will have a better handle on them as well. Win Win

Until then you will be taking a chance with your hard earned dollars. The payments will last long after the wow factor is gone and the issues may not be worth it.

An alternative opinion I know but sometimes thought and research does save one aggravation and always money.

Objective Observer
Unregistered guest
Just read any forum and notice how in Rear Projection threads there are a myriad of issues with any display technology.

There is no reason to believe a person who has taken an unsubstantiated position against LCD and DLP by posting over 300 times in less than a month. His obvious bias is in favor of CRT.

This person has offended, ridiculed, and harassed micro-display owners all along the way in his effort to prove his opinions.
People like this don't deserve to have their comments considered as truthful or credible in any way.

All A/V forums mostly represent a negative bias toward products. The vast majority of consumers with trouble-free products don't post in these forums. The fractional minority with issues ranging from minor operational to major factory defects will post in forums.

Use common sense. Be objective.

Beware of preaching zealots with biased ideas.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
Do I have to wait for someone in my home town to ask me or can I chime in? I work in a television station. Have done so for 31 years. When a CRT display finally dies, goes soft, or we redesign a room, we replace the CRT devices with LCD. Next year, we will replace a then, 7 year old standard definition plasma monitor in our lobby with a new HD plasma monitor. All computer monitors bought in the last 2 years have been LCD. All monitors used in our edit suites are LCD. We have a few 19" CRT monitors that cost about $4000 that, if we can find them, replace the CRT in them to keep them going before we get into HD origination. At that time, those CRT monitors won't display HD anyway so we will replace them with LCD. I am not saying the CRT is not HD capable but the actual monitor electronics isn't. I say LCD right now because that's what is available. If SED pans out, we might consider that. We also have a Sony LCD RP in a room to monitor our off air digital channel.

So, that's one TV engineer's answer for you. Any other questions?

Silver Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 107
that is interesting grfunk

are they replacing crt's because of quility or becaue of space? because lcd look better or crts take up to much room?

grfunk
Unregistered guest
As far as for computer use, the quality is there and space is also a factor. We use LCD in edit suites because they are all computer based. As far as using one in our quality control area, that's another story. That's why we try to keep the $4000 CRT monitors going.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us