Samsung DLP Tweaks or Upgrades?

Username: Afrogeek

Post Number: 7
Hello, I have the DLP 5063. I'm not sure which revision this is , but I was wondering what modifications or upgrades can be done to the 5063 to make it more dependable? In other words can you take parts from a 5078 and install them into a 5063 to make it work better?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 232
The P63 you have is a 720P display with a 3rd generation light engine.

The R78 you mentioned is a 1080P display with a 6th generation light engine.

The parts are definitely not interchangable.

Post Number: 8
FYI are you sure? The boxes look like they are the same size. When the technician worked on my TV. He basically told me that the TV has two main internal pieces. The housing for the light engine and then the housing for the DLP chip. If the box is the same, I would think, if both items were replaced the TV , in a global way, could be upgraded. Maybe I'm thinking too much like a PC technician. But maybe it will work.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 235
I'm afraid not!

There is a different digital main board for different light engines.

If you are trying to replace everything in the set but the power supply, you might as well sell yours and get the one you want, like I did.

Even the lamp housings have changed from the P63 to the R67. (3rd gen eng vs. 5th gen eng)

Post Number: 9
FYI, thanks for this information! I purchased my 5063 for a pretty low price. Under 1500. Do you think it's worth paying the extra ($500.00 minimum) to upgrade to a new generation? What do you think about other brands in DLP? I heard JVC is really good. What do you think about Toshiba ? Maybe they have capitalized on Samsungs mistakes?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 236
Actually, Samsung has capitalized on their mistakes.

The P63 you have is much better made than the one I bought last year. They had a Toshi lamp in mine that was quickly replaced with the better Phillips that I'm sure you already have. The color wheel is better in yours too.

I upgraded to the R67 for the increased contrast ratio and the 5th gen light eng. Also, I like the floating screen design.

It kills me that you paid under $1500 for the same set I paid $2800 for a year ago, but that's the nature of the biz. It's not too different than computers. Bought one in 98 and it was obsolete by 99. Still works fine, though. My P2 400mhz is still faster than my broadband internet connection.

JVC doesn't make DLP, but they have a very nice D-ILA LCOS coming out next month with a faster refresh rate than previous models. Pricey, though!

Toshi is not my favorite since their lamp failed in my Samsung in two months.

I thoroughly enjoyed my P63 and for the price you paid you have an excellent entry into HD. The HD picture is really very close to my R67.

Post Number: 10
FYI, Here's a tough one... I have the 5063 now(as you know) This dealer is selling a brand new Toshiba for the same price. I'm not sure if the technology or quality is better. But, maybe it has less bugs than the 5063 and maybe they upgraded their bulb. It's the Toshiba 52HM84. What do you think ?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 239
The 84 is last years model. The 94 is this years model.

It's a personal preference.
I chose the Samsung for the picture.
Some choose the Toshi for gaming.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us