You have $2500. You have to spend it tomorrow. What will you buy?

Username: Phoenixnik

Post Number: 2
I know that this question is probably overly used in this forum, so I thought I'd at least phrase it in a creative 'Mission Impossible' way.

In short, my tv went on the fritz and the cost to fix it is not worth it. My wife has given me an unexpected, sudden (and limited) window of opportunity to spend up to $2500 on a new tv.

What would you buy for this??? Please help?
HDTV preferred. At least 42" preferred. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 120
42-55 RPHDTV and put $1000 in the bank for three or four years. Buy that time the myriad of issues with the DLP,LCD,PLasma technology will be for the most part resolved, the reliability will be known, and the price will most likely be $1500 or less. Thus you will have a still good RPCRT TV and a brand new fixed digital display with all the then NEW bells and whistles as well there might be more HD content worth watching. Standard TV will be like satellite sending a digital signal...Maybe then Standard TV will finally look good on a fixed pixel display.

Read this and other HD forums before you waste $2500 of today's money....I did.

Username: Phoenixnik

Post Number: 3
Thanks Tom. I appreciate your help. From what I've read, I believe it's pretty good advice and I'm going to take you up on it.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 63
You are going to take the advise of a guy that calls himself BONG? Have you read his posts? I totally dislike the RP CRT. Have you really looked at them in the store and compared the pictrues? What size are you buying? If you are not going too big, I would look at Direct View way before RP CRT.

You need to read more information and realize that Bong is just a broken record that keeps saying the same thing over and over with no credibility whatsoever. Look at what FYI and HelpfulSmurf have to say. These guys seem to know quite a bit about what they are talking about. Don't make a mistake based on what this Bong guy says.

Personally right now, for the money I sould buy the Samsung R5067. But that's just me based on what I have read, and it's been quite a bit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
Those guys he refers to have agendas. Jeeeze SMURF Sells the TVs at Best BUY...duh. Oh and has anyone ever spoke to a Best Buy sales person? Yeah a bastion of infomative information. BUY THE EW...thats what they are BEst at.

BAsed on the quite a bit you read JIM, and your resulting opinion on what you would buy....... denial seems to be your strong suit along with masochism.

NIck is a smart man who will revisit the technology in a few years when there is enough worthy content and the technology hopefully is much better and as a bonus MUCH less expensive as well. He will have two great TVs for the price of a rubbish fixed pixel today.

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 51
LOL. Stroke your own ego much "Nick' er I mean Tom. You're so pathetic you have to carry on both sides of the conversation to make it appear that anyone agrees with you. And by all means take as many potshots as you want at BB employees, I'm sure it's not anywhere near as glamorous and technically demanding as your job . Let me know when they perfect Slurpee machine technology so I can invest 79 cents in one at the store you work in.

HS

Username: Douxguerrier

Post Number: 1
I have seen the new RCA HD50LPW175 at Best Buy yesterday and I was impressed by the TV (I am not working at best buy). I believe that they are selling it at $2300, good picture and very good looking 50". I have heard also that RCA reliability in DLP was great. I think that it is worth to take a look at this new model.

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
YEah IM NIck,,,LOL Nick registered in OCT 04 . I have not been l;ooking that long for a TV...Eienstein. But as a Best Buy sales person I cannot expect you to know or research the details. Your career befits you Smurf. I'd rather sell slurpees then lie to perspective customers about the technology and extended warranties,,,,of which Best Buys is not too highly rated.

Before you cream your jeans on the RCA DLP Albert you had better find out if the replacement lamps for the RCA are still $600!!!

DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
Nice one, Smurf!

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
YEah nice...HE claims IM NIck...YEah I registerd last OCTOBER and waited 9 months to replay to myself in REVERSE!!!!!!

Yeah real nice...Would you buy a $3000 TV from that kind of smarts? He is over his head at even Best Buy where they are quick to tell you they are not on commision as if that is going to make them more credible!!! LOL

No Credibility, bongboy
Unregistered guest
DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 11:52 am:

From the article, here is a statement that counters everything you have been saying!

"For now, because they're (micro-displays) priced at a "sweet spot" between CRT-based RPTVs and flat-panel LCD and plasma sets, the market is hot, there's plenty of competition, and quality and performance are high."

The only thing that will cause a drop in quality and performance is this statement, which by the way, was the death of CRT.

"But once flat-panel prices fall to within striking distance, the RPTV microdisplay market will become price-driven, regardless of technology, and quality and performance will drop."

I'll leave you with this from the article.

"the days of the deluxe, maximum-performance CRT-based RPTV are over......manufacturers can't afford to make them because only cheap CRT sets continue to sell in quantity."

Price driven forces have brought about the death of CRT, and with it, your argument to purchase one of any decent quality.

Unfortunately, the same forces are predicted to trigger the demise in quality of any popular display technology and I don't see how plasma could be excluded.

RE:
http://www.guidetohometheater.com/michaelfremer/805mf/

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
No your are wromg (As usual) and misunderstand his point

He says "As I pointed out in this column recently, the days of the deluxe, maximum-performance CRT-based RPTV are over. Even if you're smart enough to want one, and you're willing to pay for it,

cheap is a reference to price NOT quality. The implication is a smart person would want one but manufacturers can't afford to make them because only cheap CRT sets continue to sell in quantity.

Because people are all caught up in the allflash no substance of fixed pixel which has NO reliability track record and a lot of issues. Ignorant geeks are driving the market...go figure. I cannot feel much empathy at their issues as they diod not do their homework.

Broken Record bongboy
Unregistered guest
DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 11:52 am:

From the article, here is a statement that counters everything you have been saying!

"For now, because they're (micro-displays) priced at a "sweet spot" between CRT-based RPTVs and flat-panel LCD and plasma sets, the market is hot, there's plenty of competition, and quality and performance are high."

The only thing that will cause a drop in quality and performance is this statement, which by the way, was the death of CRT.

"But once flat-panel prices fall to within striking distance, the RPTV microdisplay market will become price-driven, regardless of technology, and quality and performance will drop."

I'll leave you with this from the article.

"the days of the deluxe, maximum-performance CRT-based RPTV are over......manufacturers can't afford to make them because only cheap CRT sets continue to sell in quantity."

Price driven forces have brought about the death of CRT, and with it, your argument to purchase one of any decent quality.

Unfortunately, the same forces are predicted to trigger the demise in quality of any popular display technology and I don't see how plasma could be excluded.

RE:
http://www.guidetohometheater.com/michaelfremer/805mf/

RandyM
Unregistered guest
"you had better find out if the replacement lamps for the RCA are still $600!!!"

I work with RCA. The bulbs are just over $200 on RCA.com for those who want to replace it themselves. And, yes, the 175 has an outstanding picture. We believe it's better than anyone else, but of course we are biased.

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
Looks like they went down. Good. I still would not spend $2500 on any of the new DLP or RPLCDs.

You can buy a 50" Plasma for that if you have to have a fixed Pixel Tv that won't cost even $200 every year or two. NO millions of tiny little mirrors flipping reflected light through spinning color wheels in DLP's case.

bong is a fraud
Unregistered guest
Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 12:41am

Quotes from the link that tom bong posted in the samsung problems thread:

"In the old days, color imaging was accomplished by tickling phosphors with an electron gun. Surprisingly, this system produced (and continues to produce) the most life-like images of all, which is why CRT front projectors are still preferred by a small number of high-end customers for home theater applications."

"That's because CRTs are capable of a wide grayscale and can show images with very low luminance levels (shadow detail) as well as very high luminance levels (highlights) in the same scene. More importantly, when a CRT is idling, it is essentially shut off. I mean REALLY shut off, as in black. Not a deep gray, as you'll see with LCD, DLP, and LCoS projectors and AM LCD and plasma monitors."

If you ask people who really know this technology, they will tell you that a properly calibrated CRT is the reference that all others are measured by.

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/shmontrast.htm

A 2003 article that groups DLP black levels in with LCD and Plasma isn't very credible. Everyone knows that DLP black levels are matching CRT black levels while LCD is still unable to.

Using wording from a 2003 article as your own is pretty lame. It's pure plagiarism. It's misleading and outdated.

This proves beyond doubt that tom bong is a fraud.

Bronze Member
Username: Agentxfile

Post Number: 15
I know once I pay off my Best Buy credit card by the end of this year I will be getting the "RCA 50in Widescreen Digital-Cable-Ready DLP Rear-Projection HDTV with HDMI Inputs - Model: HD50LPW175" from Best Buy, and with a 3-year no interest payment plan just like on a "RCA 36in Stereo TV(tube) - Model: F36650" that I am currently paying off.
I just can't wait, because watching movies on the "RCA 50in Widescreen Digital-Cable-Ready DLP Rear-Projection HDTV with HDMI Inputs - Model: HD50LPW175" will be so freaking cool!!! :-)

agentxfile

Silver Member

Post Number: 324
Enjoy..MAybe someday if you stop wasting money you will be able to pay cash for what you want up front.
That 36 should last for another 6 years...Just sit closer LOL..

Don't hiccup on a payment. (read the fine print very clearly. 23%-30% intrest is only a very small mistake away.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
tom bong,
Trust me I know all about the Best Buy credit card payment plans, as I have had a Best Buy credit card for 4-5 years now.
Whatelse should I spead MY money on? What you think is wasting money is me trying to enjoy what pitiful life I have.
I can't sit any closer to the tv then 6 feet away, so imagine sitting only 6 feet away from a 50in tv compared to the 36in tv I have now. :-)

agentxfile

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Oh yea I forgot to say about six months ago I bought a nice 4-year old car that only has 19,000 miles on it, and I paid for it with money up front.
Which is my I am practically broke now, but it was and still is worth be practically broke compared to the car that I had before.

agentxfile

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
Good for you. Paying up front for cars four years old is the MOST economical way to own a vehicle. You have the least amont of appreciation incombination with the most life left per dollar spent and the coup de grace NO interest.

You are a smart guy. Just be careful with those store credit cards. Household Finance or another low life financier will screw you if you hiccup on a payment...sometimes they will bump you to the default rate if you hiccup on ANOTHER card payment! Use store or bank credit cards for convienience not installment loans. If you are good you can buck their expected odds and pay your purchase off with no interest in one year thus using THEIR money for free...Most people do not and thats why they offer those "enticing" plans.

Although I would nnever have bought into that particular TV technology Good Luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
As I have already said "Trust me I know all about the Best Buy credit card payment plans, as I have had a Best Buy credit card for 4-5 years now.", I have always paid-off before the due date on what I have had on that card.
So, I guess you can say that I had/have/am doing it the smart way.

agentxfile

Silver Member

Post Number: 340
YEs indeed. IF everyone did what you are doing BEst Buy could not offer those interest free deals.

I cannot fathom buying anything at Best Buy I have not done extenive research on though. The misinformation is appalling. The turnover is as well.

Actually i find Circuit City reps a bit more professional and knowlegeable but as always do your own research and read the forums.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us