1980, 1580 and 1080 resolution

California+Kid
Unregistered guest
About ten years ago, I saw three HDTV's in Denver at the National Western Stock Show that had those different resolutions. They said the government was deciding between the three. Does this mean they chose the lowest of the three? What happened to the 1980 and 1580 resolutions? I saw all three with my own eyes at the show. Now only 1080 is available. Does anybody have an answer? Seems like once people have bought the 1080 tvs, then they will trot out the higher def standards! (Planned obsolesence in action!)

fx
Unregistered guest
Without some additional info those numbers mean nothing. Since the HD standard has been in existence HD is either 720px1024 or 1080ix1980. I believe you are confusing apples, oranges and grapes. Of course there is also 1080px1980 at 24fps and 60fps. However none of these numbers are relative to the numbers you posted without correlation.

Besides it wasn't the government it was an independent association that initially established the guidelines then the FCC incorporated these guidelines in FCC Regulations.

xvxvxvx

fx
Unregistered guest
Correction to above post:

1080ix1920 and 1080px1920

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 981
fx, I'm impressed...again.

Anonymous

impressed that 720px1024 is wrong and should be 720px1280