Cable Amps?

Bronze Member
Username: Psu828694

Post Number: 13
Has anyone had a situation in which they liked their HD picture more prior to installing a cable Amp in the line? I had this done recently by Comcast and now I cannot get my HD picture to look as "crisp." I have a Sony WF55655 LCD Rp.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 274
One would have to ask why you needed to put the amp on in the first place. It's seems obvious you liked the PQ better without the amp, and installing the amp could be driving too much signal that you don't really need.

Bronze Member
Username: Psu828694

Post Number: 14
I originally had them out for my cable modem speed bouncing around. they boosted the signal for that and the 6 televisions in my house. I wonder if I try just unhooking my HD set from the amp?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 279
Cable operators all vary on how they make connections when it comes to HSD, as I've learned from other members posting how they were connected. It would appear that your HSD modem is connected off a normal 6-way splitter, hence why they needed to amp the signal. You have an option, if you get a two way splitter:
connect the modem cable line to one of the output connections on the two way splitter, the other output connection run into a five-way splitter. Connect the main cable feed to the input on the two-way splitter(thus removing the amp from the picture) and see what happens.

You could try unhooking the amp, but then from your description, you're going to have HSD problems again. Running the HSD line off a two-way splitter will minimize the amount of signal loss to your modem, and the other five lines in the house won't be on the amp anymore. Usually I recommend an amp on anything 4 and over, but I'd make sure there is nothing wrong with your line feeding your house before I do that. Low levels amplified=a bad problem amplified. Grainy pictures are usually caused by low levels...putting an amp in increases the signal levels, but doesn't correct what was causing the poor pics in the first place.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us