Is this a DLP defect?

Stan Thomas
Unregistered guest
Could someone please explain what the grey/white circular spot actually is (in layman's terms) in the centre of our new 62" DLP Toshiba 62HM85 TV? This is highly visible in a lighted room ,even when the set is not turned on, and still apparent when the room is completely darkened from glare. We have had the set replaced and the replacements also had the same problem. Is this condition a normal occurrence with DLP TVs or is this a defect in the production? We went back to the store and noted the same spot on the floor model. We are trying to determine whether we should return the unit or not. The spot does show through on the screen when something black is being viewed infront of that area (ie. a black shirt etc.). We purchased the TV from Best Buy and their staff cannot explain what is causing this. If anyone is familiar with this, we would very much appreciate an explanation. Much thanks

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 220
This is a normal occurrance on all DLP screens and many other RPTV screens. It is a refractive concentration of any available room light. The screen is made to refract this way.

You need to close blinds and soften or move lamps if you see any reflected light while the set is on.
Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 8
I concur, and add that "halo's and and stuff can be reduced by taking the set apart, and adding XYZ lining inside the set to absorb light that bonces around inside the cabinet...

Read about it here a while back, it's on the site somewhere, unless it got deleted somehow (about 2 years ago, the fabric is like a black velvet type material that absorbs light)...: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/experttips/greggloewen/5steps_to_videonirvana.htm l

You might want to consider removing the protective screen if it bothers you.

PS: Don't worry about the spot" being there when the set is turned OFF :-)

Another idea would be to wear grey/whiteish shirts, instead of black shirts when standing in front of the TV when your standig there looking at the set when it's turned OFF.... (sorry, couldn't resist)

At least the thing WORKS...

Last big screen I had serviced took right at 8 months to get a working set.

Post Number: 9
Ah... Here is the link: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/learnabout/generaltips/blacklevel/blacklevel_duve tyne.html

Stuff is called duvetyne.

Post Number: 10
PS: Duvetyne will help reduce Halo's when watching a dark scene, and a bright object is on the screen.... without it there will be Halo's around bright objects...

Anonymous

I have just about the same problem with my Samsung HLR-6167W (2weeks old), except my spot is at the very bottom center of the screen just above the Samsung badge. It looks like light from the cabnet leaking onto the screen. I only notice it when there is no picture. Well this get worse?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Anonymous,

RE: WILL this get worse?

I don't think so. (AFAIK)...

If your set is a rear projection type it has a MIRROR that the light from the light engine/tube/ or whatever bounces off.. and then projects onto the rear of the screen thereby making an image.

The light from the ROOM lighting, and light that is generated by the set itself is bouncing around inside the cabinet...

As the screen is NOT like a one-way mirror.. light can go BOTH ways thru the lens.. which means any light from the ROOM will bounce around inside the walls, sides of the cabinet.. going back and forth bouncing off the back of the screen, the mirror, and or tubes, light engine or whatever.

Same goes for light generated by the set itself.... you may notice "halos" during dark scenes..and bright objects. Last time I checked (and this was from several years ago)... The halo's are caused by the light bouncing around inside the cabinet, and or off the back of the screen, OR light that goes thru the screen, and then is refracted back because there is on most sets a "screen protector" that will refract some of the light back thru the screen, and back into the cabinet to some extent.

The fix... is to use the duvetyne http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/learnabout/generaltips/blacklevel/blacklevel_duve tyne.html

And remove the "screen protector". http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/toshiba/generaltweaks/screen/screen removal_rogerclark.html

Last thing to do is while viewing to keep your room lighting LOW... to keep light from the room from going BACK thru the screen and bouncing around inside the cabinet.

PS: Check around on the above site for info on your brand /model set.... The above info may, or may not apply to you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us