Comcast DVR doesn't do 5.1 surround sound?

Username: Asincero

Post Number: 1
I just received my DVR unit from Comcast. One thing I've noticed that when I use the timeshifting features (pause live TV, instant replay, etc.) or record a program, it doesn't preserve the 5.1 surround sound. It gets downmixed to stereo sound only. Is this how it is supposed to work, or do I need to configure something somewhere?

Username: Greyfell

Mobile, Alabama USA

Post Number: 3
Interesting. I noticed that sometimes the same show on the same channel was 5.1 on one tuner and not 5.1 on the other. I just read your post and confirmed that it is when I have one tuner timeshifted and the other live. I hadn't noticed the pattern before.

Did you have any luck with this issue? I'm also curious, which of the DVR's do you have? I have the 6412 III (series 3) now. I don't recall having this problem with my previous 6412, but might just never have noticed.

I upgraded the to the series 3 to get HDMI (the previous model only had DVI). Since I have problems with HDMI (the signal scrambles for a couple of seconds when I pause, rewind, or even mute), I would honestly consider downgrading to the older 6412 model if it would get me 5.1 back. If you can determine which model you have, I'd love to know. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us