Samsung HLP 5063 NO PICTURE

Username: Afrogeek

Post Number: 1
Hello, I have just aquired the above mentioned DLP TV. I got it home, hooked it up and turned it on. I heard a light buzzing sound (color wheel?) and there is light coming out the back of the TV. However, there is no picture and I cannot even get the menu to show. I did notice a very faint flashing when seen in the dark. When the TV is turned off there is a constan red light under the switch. I thought, maybe I did not have the TV's video set to the right input. But, I cannot really tell.

Can someone give me any troubleshooting tips or ideas on how I can solve this problem? I tried calling some service centers, but I could not reach anyone. It's saturday and I would really like to watch this ball game tonight. I'm hoping there is a quick fix or that I missed something simple. please help!! Maybe there's a switch I'm missing ?

thanks

Anonymous

What signal source? Cable, Sat, Off-air.
What input? Coax, DVI/HDMI, Comp 1, Comp 2.

Does anything come up on the upper left side of the screen?

Is the remote in TV mode?

Tried the "Source" button ?

Any sound?

Tommy Bongo
Unregistered guest
The switch you need is away from the 5063, it's a piece of junk. Let me guess, Costco right? It was either that of a floor model at CC or BB.

Return it immediately and look at the 5067, it'll cost you more in cash but MUCH less in headaches.

Bronze Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 54
Or better yet...buy a CRT and wait. Those who bought and beta tested 5063's a short time ago obviously wasted their money when they were new. What a technology.

bonghater
Unregistered guest
I've owned a P5063 for 18 months.
No trouble whatsoever. Great value!

tom bong is a ranting fool.

CRT's suck!

Post Number: 2
So far I have tried to toggle different inputs. Nothing happened. There is audio, but no video. I have tried composite and component. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 61
I wish I could help this guy. From what you said, I would probably return the TV and see if they can get it to work. If your lucky they will exhchange it for another one. Which they should do unless you bought it off the internet. Good luck.

I can't believe that every thread turns into Bonghead saying you're stupid for buying what you bought unless it's a RP CRT. People are coming here to get help. Not to be criticized by some idiot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
And I can see they are getting that help!

From statements like.."Jeeze you paid too much for your TV to accept that....Call tech" to Your own "RETURN THE TV"

Now theres help someone could oinly come here to get.......Give it up.

People are dumb to buy a technology before thorough research. IN this case there is so much information that implies this technology is not reliable it is dunb to hope you will be the exception when there are those IMPLORING you to buy noramlly worthless extended warranties.

Yes it is indeed dumb to spend $3000 on this technology at this time. OH and for the poster with issues...

I would return it.......IF YOU ARE LUCKY (LOL) they will exchange it. If not. Well education does cost money..........Good Luck (the ultimate help line)

No Credibility, tom
Unregistered guest
Rant, rant, rant....

You're simply not believable!

You still can't compose or proofread, either.

Foolish ignorance is not sellable.

CRT's suck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Foolish ignorance is not sellable?

Obviously thats not true..there are those foolish people who are now whinning because their DLPs are crapping out...right and left

I would say the DLP technology and their makers are proving beyond a doubt foolish ignorance is indeed sellable.

No Credibility, tom
Unregistered guest
Rant, rant, rant....

You're simply not believable!

There are 100's of thousnads of trouble-free DLP's.

Your narrow-minded insight is limited to this forum.

Foolish ignorance is not sellable.

CRT's suck!

Post Number: 3
Wow, this is interesting. I was really looking for a technical solution. Who knows, it may have been something minor and someone with technical knowledge of this technology could help.

1. I did my research and overall it is suppose to be a very good TV.

2. I bought it from a well known dealer and a return is no problem.

3. I got a pretty good deal on it. So, I did not get ripped off.

My goal is to find a technical solution.

Anonymous

I sounds like a digi-main board.
It tells the light engine what to do.
Exchange the set. You can't fix it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
Return it and buy a CRT for now. Try again in a couple years IF these boards are filled with more dicussion of the merits rather then help for issues which arer always ansered with......"Return it" and "Good Luck"

No Credibility, bong
Unregistered guest
Is dinner over?

I see the CRT zealot has returned.

CRT's suck!

Post Number: 4
OK, I used this oppurtunity to compare the After market warranty to the Samsung warranty. Samsung's warratny is winning so far. They setup an appointment to have a repair man come out between 10-12 tomarrow. The third party warranty gave me a number of a repair unit that does not work on Samsung. The repair unit was nice enough to refer me to two other units who do. One of which did a horrible job on my existing wide screen so they can kiss mah ...A**. The other one I'm not sure about either. Hopefully , they bring out every part that could be causing the problem and replace it. Better yet, updated parts that don't break down.

Post Number: 5
Ok, Here's my update. The Samsung Tech arrived one day later and installed new guts. The TV did come on. However, I have the below concerns and would like to know if these are minor adjustments or is the TV still busted?

1. Even with a HD signal @1080i The picture is grainy, compared to my 5 year old Mitsubishi 46805. I was expecting this picture to blow away my Mitsu.

2. The TV tends to have an inside the bottle" effect. What I mean is the picture sort of rolls or something. It's slight, but it's there.

At this point I am disappointed with the picture. The Technician is Scheduled to come back. Does anyone know if there is something I can so to improve the picture.

My Source signals are:

1. Samsung SIR-TS360 HDTV Tuner
2. Samsung DVD-HD850 HDMI DVD player (using HDMI cable)

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Get rid of it. Get your money back. Sit on the sidelines until the issues are resolved and you are not beta testing the R&D you are paying for.

The bigger fool theory. Build it and they will come.
There are major issues with the technology.

Never remembered a product in history where an extended warranty is MANDATORY and even at that, when you need it (and you will) it's rubbish and the techs know nothing......

Enjoy.

Post Number: 6
Hello Tom, I appreciate your concern. However, I'm going to give this TV 29 days. If, by that time, it does not impress me. I will return it. If I knew of something around the same price that would perform better, I would have purchased it. It's only competition I know about in my price range is this 42" HD plasma by Olivie'. Please check it out and let me know what you think?

No Credibility, bong
Unregistered guest
bong is a real b^stard!

He calls anyone a fool that buys a fixed pixel display.

He owns a plasma, himself.

A troll with a fool's rant is unwanted here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
YEah I admitted awhile ago...I bought a Plasma for less then $900. No EW . Not exactly a bank breaker. I only bought it for the bedroom .It may get a whole 5 hours a week use. Not worried about not getting many years of service at that rate.

One thing I think people overlook in the face of all the HD flash......MAke VERY sure you are happy with Standard TV on your box. The resolution and stretch factors. It is NOT worth paying any kind of premium for a TV that is only good on less then 10% of the signals available. Ya think?

As far as your plasma choice. I could not find info on your choice nor am I an expert in name brands as many get their parts from the same source, but I will offer I believe plasma will soon be the bargain in fixed pixel, (actually it is now in some cases) Sony is dropping the line and others might as well as the market chooses a "winner". I have no faith in the "market" as people tend buy flash over substance.

As you know, I have no faith in any fixed pixel solution right now for more then 10 hours a week of TV watching which means the main theater system. Tooo many issue not enough bang for the buck and a DEGRADED picture on that which is broadcast the most, Standard TV digital or analog it is still converted badly to fixed pixel fixed resolution TVs.

No Credibility, bong
Unregistered guest
"No EW" is not a badge of honor.

"Not worried.....at that rate" is not justification for yourself when you're slamming people who buy a similar set.

Standard tv is always worse on an RP CRT.

With full time EDTV networks that broadcast HD during primetime and a half dozen HD channels there isn't 90% of any channel line-up worth watching in standard def.

Funny to see you trying to justify your plasma purchase with less hours of use.

You're a dumbass hypocrite!

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
The only way to justify any fixed pixel purchase is LIMITED USE! I would not buy any FP if I were going to have it on 5 hours a day. Read the forums.....denial is costly.

Full time EDTV networks? where? Only primetime and most of the network stuff is rubbish. I agree standard TV is not very good on a RPTV its not good on ANY FP TV. Would you rather pay $3000 for crappy TV or $1200....Don't tell me I already know....LOL

6 HDTV channels? and network EDTV THATS your argument for spending thousands on terrible technology? Thats it?

Ignorance is certainly bliss.....

To tom bong
Unregistered guest
You really don't know about full time EDTV networks? You ask where?

They're free with any UHF antenna and can be received with inexpensive ATSC terrestrial receivers.

If your plasma doesn't have an ATSC tuner you need to pick up an external one and see what a difference it makes on that plasma.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
There are not many fulltime EDTV broadcasters yet as a percentage of the hundreds of channels. NEtwork TV is rubbish for the most part. Most Primetime shows chewing gum for the eyes. Yeah they are free and worth every penny.

To tom
Unregistered guest
I don't know where you live, but most every city is broadcasting EDTV on ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, and other local networks.

Most people don't think it's rubbish. They call all those nothing cable channels trying to sell you something, rubbish.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
Fair enough for most people. IF network TV offerings are your bag, by all means spend the $3000. I'd rather wait for quality content worthy of the money and the unrelenting technological risk involved in these FP TVs.

I wonder why most people (96%) have never even seen an HD picture or why most people don't even care about it especially for thousands of dollars.,

To tom
Unregistered guest
Nice percentage number!
Too bad you made it up!

Man, you quote $3000. fixed pixel displays when they are available from $1000 these days.
You quote yearly lamps for $300 when most people haven't even bought a lamp yet and when they do, it's under $200.

You're making this sh!t up as you go.

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
If you say so! It must be true, That percentage is real. I will find the source. I will bet you can even figure it out yourself. Ask the next 10 people you meet randomly if they have seen HD or have any interest in spending $3000 for a TV in order to experience it. I know FP is available for less then$1000 I have one. BUT I would NEVER use it for my main home theater system. Nor would I spend OVER that to get one.

MOst having issues here are having those issues on $3000 TVs, not the $1000 ones . Read the forum and do the research I did. I have correctly quoted lamps from $200-300 not even considering the $600 RCA lamp.

IM getting my information from TV geeks like you!!!The issues, the costs, the content.....All of what I base my opinion on can be researched right here in this very forum.

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11827

Currently 13% of US households have a HDTV set, up from 10% at the end of 2004. I stand corrected. But 1 out of 10 is not exactly barn burning. Nor is the measly 3% increase from 2004. Thie content ids not worth the cost for MOST people, Someday it may...and when that day comes, a 52" FP TV will cost less then $1500 and be more reliable.. Thats when maybe the public will get onboard,

DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
What does "ids" mean dumbass.

Ooooo...cdfreaks.com....what a reference!

You're an ignorant broken record.

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
Truth sucks,,,,, I know. The name calling is not working. Im not offended.

No Credibility, bongboy
Unregistered guest
DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 11:52 am:

From the article, here is a statement that counters everything you have been saying!

"For now, because they're (micro-displays) priced at a "sweet spot" between CRT-based RPTVs and flat-panel LCD and plasma sets, the market is hot, there's plenty of competition, and quality and performance are high."

The only thing that will cause a drop in quality and performance is this statement, which by the way, was the death of CRT.

"But once flat-panel prices fall to within striking distance, the RPTV microdisplay market will become price-driven, regardless of technology, and quality and performance will drop."

I'll leave you with this from the article.

"the days of the deluxe, maximum-performance CRT-based RPTV are over......manufacturers can't afford to make them because only cheap CRT sets continue to sell in quantity."

Price driven forces have brought about the death of CRT, and with it, your argument to purchase one of any decent quality.

Unfortunately, the same forces are predicted to trigger the demise in quality of any popular display technology and I don't see how plasma could be excluded.

RE:
http://www.guidetohometheater.com/michaelfremer/805mf/

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
No your are wromg (As usual) and misunderstand his point

He says "As I pointed out in this column recently, the days of the deluxe, maximum-performance CRT-based RPTV are over. Even if you're smart enough to want one, and you're willing to pay for it,

cheap is a reference to price NOT quality. The implication is a smart person would want one but manufacturers can't afford to make them because only cheap CRT sets continue to sell in quantity.

Because people are all caught up in the allflash no substance of fixed pixel which has NO reliability track record and a lot of issues. Ignorant geeks are driving the market...go figure.

Broken Record bongboy
Unregistered guest
DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 11:52 am:

From the article, here is a statement that counters everything you have been saying!

"For now, because they're (micro-displays) priced at a "sweet spot" between CRT-based RPTVs and flat-panel LCD and plasma sets, the market is hot, there's plenty of competition, and quality and performance are high."

The only thing that will cause a drop in quality and performance is this statement, which by the way, was the death of CRT.

"But once flat-panel prices fall to within striking distance, the RPTV microdisplay market will become price-driven, regardless of technology, and quality and performance will drop."

I'll leave you with this from the article.

"the days of the deluxe, maximum-performance CRT-based RPTV are over......manufacturers can't afford to make them because only cheap CRT sets continue to sell in quantity."

Price driven forces have brought about the death of CRT, and with it, your argument to purchase one of any decent quality.

Unfortunately, the same forces are predicted to trigger the demise in quality of any popular display technology and I don't see how plasma could be excluded.

RE:
http://www.guidetohometheater.com/michaelfremer/805mf/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us