Can't record when watching another channel

Username: Bluebaby101

Post Number: 3
I had basic cable
Cable ready TV
VCR/DVD player

I used to be able to watch one channel and record another.

Yesterday I got Digital Cable.
Which added a cable box to the mix

Now I can't record one channel and watch another.

Any ideas?

I am about to cancel this digital cable. What a mess

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1442
You can't watch a digital channel while recording another one.

Username: Bluebaby101

Post Number: 5
so my vcr is no longer good?

What is the point of having a VCR if you can't record a different channel?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1448
You can record analog channels if you have them. Digital channels need the box to decode them, so unless you have a dual tuner box, I don't know if they make them or not, you are stuck with one digital feed at a time.

Username: Scm2000

Post Number: 2
If your digital cable box has both composite video and rf output, you can do the following:
1. Get a bidirectional RF cable splitter, possibly an amplified one, have the cable out of your wall go to its input.
2. have one of the splitters output go to the digital cable box RF input.
3. have another of its outputs go to the vcr rf input.
4. put resistor caps on any unused splitter outputs.
5. take the vcr RF output and send it to your TV's rf input.
6. take the cable box's composite video output and send it to your VCR's composite video input.

Now to watch digital cable channels, with your cable box and vcr powered on, tune your TV to channel 3 and select video input on your VCR. You will now be able to watch whatever is on the box via your VCR.

To record a digital channel, follow the above paragraph and press record on your VCR. Now to watch another channel, press the TV/Video button on your VCR remote. This passes Cable RF directly to your TV tuner and you will be able to use your TV tuner to select any ANALOG tv channel.

There are other hookup possibilities that will allow you to watch a digital channel while recording an analog channel. For that you will need a cable box with two composite video outputs or a composite video amplifier distribution box (about $35 from radio shack) AND a TV that also has a composite video input.
For that setup, modify the setup above by passing the composite video output of the cable box to the distribution box. Then take one output from the distribution box to the VCR composite video input and another output of the distribution box to the TV composite video input.

Now when you want to record an analog channel while watching a digital channel, do the following:
1. turn on cable box, vcr and TV
1.5 Set TV input selection to RF.
2. Set TV to channel 3.
3. set VCR tv/Video so that the VCR is sending the output of its tuner to the TV.
4. Set the VCR to take its input from RF
5. Tune the VCR to the desired analog channel and press record.
6. Set the TV input selector to the Video input you are using from the Distribution box.
7. use the cable box to select the digital/or analog channel you want to watch.

I hope this helps. There are probably a number of other ways to accomplish the same thing.

Username: Harvey61

Post Number: 1
Totally over my head here, but does having a Sony HD TV have any bearing on watching one channel and taping another from a HD Digital satellite hook up. Dish Network says you can't do it and Sony hasn't bothered to answer my e mails. I switched from cable to digital satellite with a new TV, but, other than a great picture I'm not crazy about the set up. Any ideas ?
Garey

Gold Member

Post Number: 1849
If using a satellite, you need 2 receivers.

Username: Bissolom

Post Number: 1
I've just upgraded to digital cable & purchased a sony dvd recorder/vcr combo I'd like 2 be able to 1 watch a channel, while recording another channel. Q#1 Is it possilbe to continue 2 watch 1 channel, while watching another? Q#2 Is it (easier?)possilbe 2 use the S-compant, and the audio video cables

Gold Member

Post Number: 2244
You can watch a digital channel and record an analog channel or vice versa, you can't watch a digital channel and record another digital channel.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us