Looking for a new TV?.....Stay away from digital for now,,,,

Bronze Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 35
Just read down this page and notice how in a Rear Projection thread there are a myriad of issues with the new technology and hardly ANY threads regarding RP CRTs...

I came into this forum just like you looking for information on the new sets. The I started reading about Bulb issues (at $2-300 a pop per year in many cases) VGame issues with lag, audio video sync issues, noise issues, a plethora of screen artifact issues and then when service is called in the service men are clueless and messing with $3000.00 toys.....Scary stuff.

My logic is this. If RPCRTs are so bad why is not that reflected here except in DEFENSE of the new technology? IF the new technology is so good. Why all the complaints and issues on not only this forum but a few others? Only the affected complain? Well apparently there are not many affected RPCRT users here.

This technology is still in "beta testing " stages. People are paying a premium to own (and test) a technology that is clearly not ready for the masses. If one were to buy a RPCRT today which is a great value considering size and picture for around $1000-1500. In my opinion they would be able in 4 years to purchase a digital TV which will then be of a format universally accepted be it DLP, LCD or whatever. That format will be proven beyond issue and only refined (not reinvented each year as now) for the SAME cost.

One would then have both TVs for the price one pays today for a much inferior and problem laden technology where even the service techs do not know whats up.

Television studios (ask in your town) are replacing their bad CRTs with NEW CRTS (NOT digital screens) That should tell you something about the quality issues.

I say let the boys who have to be on the bleeding edge pay the R&D costs for the technology to get better. There is just not that much quality HD content to jump in for the expense and issues today. The government will mandate digital broadcast only but not for quite a few years and keeps pushing it forward. When that happens the TVS will be much better, cheaper, techs will have a better handle on them as well. Win Win

Until then you will be taking a chance with your hard earned dollars. The payments will last long after the wow factor is gone and the issues may not be worth it.

An alternative opinion I know but sometimes thought and research does save one aggravation and always money.

Anonymous

Another ranting fool!

You can have your CRT with it's convergence issues, burn-in issues, cooling fluid replacement, the electron gun failures, the rolling picture problems, the picture geometry issues, the high voltage power supply failures, and every other expensive repair problem.

You are not convincing! You're just repetative!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
All those issues are valid....after 7 or so years.

The issues I read of here are issues during the first two years.....Not good at all.

I have never bought an extended warranty on anything in my life and would not buy a product if there was a documented need for one.

In this case there is a lot of documentation there is indeed a need for one. (Although most don't even cover $200-$300 bulbs needed)And WHEN not IF you need service you get an inexperienced tier one "tech" who is clueless and you have to watch those guys are messing with your Multi thousand dollar technological nightmare. Yeah count me in. I'll take two LOL. NO thanks I'll stick with the "issues" you point out after enjoying many years of troublefree service. When those issues show up in 5 years I'll buy a digital that will hopefully be ready for the masses and content to match.

Anonymous

Rant, rant, rant!

Why don't you tell us what fantastic CRT HDTV you intend to buy.

Give us some choices.
Be helpful for a change, instead of being an insulting, condescending, self-rightious jerk.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
I am limited by the service centers in My area. You see I first find LOCAL service centers then look for the brand. IM in Myrtle Beach SC and I don't want someone to have to come from Charleston. SO I have narrowed my choice down to Hitachi RPCRT and RCA. Both have a number of local authorized service centers.

Unfortunately Toshiba and JVC's closest Auth service centers are over 40 miles away. Sony auth service is 175 miles away in NC. Imagine the hassle there.

You may be wondering why (given my trust in CRTs over DLP) I would even consider service when buying a RP CRT. Because as with all electronics. If you are going to have a problem, the weak component will most likely show up in the first few months of service. After that it is most likely to be trouble free for years. DLP does not have that track record yet.

If I buy from an intenet based store, they will most likely send me directly to the manufacturer for warrenty service out of the box.

That said the Hitachi has an excellent picture and the 1080P video processor is impressive. I like the automatic day/nite modes as well. Saves adjusting levels for extreme ambient light situations.

USB inputs as well as the CRT technology which is light years ahead of my old Toshiba. My brother has a 4:3 non HD RP Hitachi now for three years and has had no issues and he watches TV 5 hours a day...on Cable AND Satelite.LOL.

SO yes so far the Hitachi 51F510 is in the lead. Im going to look at the Sceniums....but I think the Hitachi will be a better long term bet then RCA. That is the fantastic TV I am currently leaning toward as a hedge until the truly digital TVs are proven reliable and there is enough content available to warrent to move. By that time the prices will be very much lower and the technology better as always.

Anonymous

Yep.....Hitachi is the better animal.

I here bad things about RCA anything.

OK....thanks for the decent non-insulting post!

I knew you had one in you.

Try to give us "bleeding edge" fixed pixel "beta testers" a break. We like our purchase for our own reasons. We like our extended warranties too because we know we are the beta testers.

We have the bucks and we are willing to do it.
So, lighten up a bit and maybe we will too.

Cheers!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
I am not sharing my opinion for those who already have jumped in the water such as yourself or Joann. I hope to offer an alternative opinion for those like myself who came here undecided.

I have no ill feelings for those who bought the technology nor do I have alot of empathy for those who are now having issues. I WISH THERE WERN"T ANY. I would love to have the lighter crisper TV myself. Too many issues for me right now and I'm suggesting for many who are looking for an issue free solution for the next 5 or more years. Even 10.

I would hope those who do not agree with me just pass the message and not feel the need to defend their decision at every pass. I do feel there is a certain need for some to have the very best of what's available and feel that is a noble thing as it does serve to act as the real beta test. I am not one of those people and I suggest an alternative view as I did not see one on these boards. I am not trying to offend even though attacked but sometimes words find a soft target I know.

I wish you well....as for the extra bucks,,,I'd rather spend them on a new boat.

Anonymous

A boat? Better get the extended warranty. LOL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Never. Never bought one on a CRT of any kind. Never would have gotten my money back on one. And I had restful sleep and peace of mind free for years! With the DLPs and LCDs I believe you had better add that as part of the cost and for that reason alone they are worth steering clear from in my opinion.

IT's funny. Someone buys an extended warranty on a car for $1200 (where they have some value if only as a much better percentage of the purchase price), uses $800 and feels he's "lucky" to have bought a warranty and always buys them after that. Amazing. Giving away $400 plus 5 years interst on that money in the meantime.....LOL.

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 56
Mr. Bong brings up some good points. Although one thing that I would like to mention though is that the reason you do not see as many posts on CRT problems is because the popularity of CRT's has fallen off, and the microdisplays (DLP,LCD,LCoS) are what people are buying right now. This technology is really not that new either. It is borrowed from front projection systems that have been around for a decade or longer. Although revised over the years and packaged differently.

There is no doubt that CRT technology is more mature than anything else, but I firmly believe that the new technology is coming on strong, and will soon surpass CRT in terms of reliability.

I bet if you were to count up all the failures on micro-displays on a per/1000 bases, the difference would not be all that great from CRT's as these forums seem to suggest. Just my two cents worth...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
HD fanatic I would love to see documented results on a per 1000 case. I would feel much more comfortable with the technology. As for less CRT posts I agree there are mostly "phile types" on these boards who buy specs and therefore more posts regarding latest technology. I accept that. What I find difficult to accepot is the shear amount of issues with the technology as rep[resented in many of these forums.

Ipod has a forum. Tascam has forums. Dell has forums. Searay boats!

In none of those "phile" forums does one read of so many ISSUES in the first year or two of problems as a percentage of posts. Many of those forums discuss content or the technology at hand in more positive terms.

This has been my rant and concern here for those who are NOT vidiophiles like myself who are researching the technology before jumping in. I buy by my own eye, ear and real world research not white papers or "phile hype".

I would love to see a real failure report by an independant source. I know CRTS. I have personal experience with RPCRTs. There is a known there. I am aware of the good and bad there. I KNOW what Im paying for and the GENERALLY expected useful life of such. I have no such information except what Iread in these forums regarding fixed pixel based replacement to the CRT. I LOVE the display from them...but suspect the reliability, cost to operate, and use PAST the 3 or 5 year EW. Any tested well made electronic product will or should last 3 years. I want to see that technology last as long as a CRT before paying twice as much for a "brighter" picture that can be viewed from all angles.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 60
I know my daughter and her fiance bought a Samsung 50" DLP close to two years ago. They have not had one single problem and are still on the original bulb. People like that do not post here. I have watched the price of these sets drop from the mid $3,000 range to the low $2,000 range while the technology is improving. You don't see the same problems with the newer models that you were seeing with the ones a year ago.

I have not bought anything yet because my old 40" Mitsubishi is still working. I put about $600 into repairing about 1.5 years ago. It started out at $450 and had to be redone two or three times. I'm now thinking that was well spent money, because what I can buy now is way better than what was there 1.5 years ago and the price difference is way more than than the $600 I ended up spending.

If my TV would go today, I would buy the Samsung HL-R5067, and I would not be upset at all. I know I can now get it for about $2,000 delivered. My TV listed for close to $5,000 back in 1992. I actually bought a display model for $2600, so I'm having trouble with what Bong is saying about the ridiculous prices of this new digital technology. In my mind the prices have come way down.

I would not buy RP CRT then and I will not buy it now. The picture quality sucks in my opinion. I would still buy Direct View if it came in a big enough set, but I can not find anything in widescreent bigger that about 36 inches, and they must weigh a ton.

Just my .02 cents also.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Well it is encouraging to hear of those with no issues for sure. Especially in the first two years. I want to know what the reliability is after 5 years though. With $3000 spent on a TV and $100 a month for content so after two years your daughter has paid over $300 a month for television. Thats a lot to me but I guess I just don't put such a premium on TV watching.

I went out today and looked again at the RPCRTs, DLPs and LCDs. One of the issues I have with all of them is that Standard TV looks terrible on all of them and there is still a whole lot of SD content to put up with the terrible picture quality.

The HD stuff looks great but there just is not enough HD content out there yet.

If you bought a the 40" Direct view Mitsu that was the most expensive TV at the time. I bought a 52" Toshiba for less then $1500. MAny do not like the RP Tvs as they are used to that in your face bright video picture. I prefer the more filmlike less contrasty and softer look. Im

Anonymous

Did tom bong have an opinion?

I couldn't bring myself to read his illiterate composition.

I'm sure it had insulting and condescending remarks, though.

What a waste of good posting space.

Rant on tom bong, you worthless troll.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Who are you kidding? LOL You read every word.

Your name calling is incredibly mature son and serves your own credibility well. Seems you are the only one who has issue with my opinion. Why don't you take the advice of another thread and ignore me?

Really, I can handle your lack of blessing!!!

bonghater
Unregistered guest
Actually, I didn't, but your last one was short enough.

Your thread title says "stay away from digital".

How stupid. Analog as a source signal and a display technology is on it's way out.

Rant on, tom bong.

CRT's suck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
You are right. It is on it's way out. NO argument here.

BUT..it's not gone yet and fixed pixel digital technology is not reliable yet nor does it offer a decent sloution to watching the analog still available which dwarfs the digital TV available. Im speaking od JUST digital SD not even HD which has very little content.

Analog is still relavant and will be util it is in the minority of signals present for recpetion and that will not be for 4-5 years to come perhaps more.

gnob mot
Unregistered guest
Analog transmissions will be outlawed by the FCC between 2006 and 2009. Anyone with an analog CRT will need a digital converter to downgrade the already available EDTV signals so they can view network broadcasts.

The FCC already has plans to resell the VHF spectrum to cell phone companies for new services they want to provide.

This is all common knowledge.

There is a bill in congress to extend the VHF cutoff from Jan 2006 to Jan 2009, but the FCC is expected to defeat the bill. There may ultimately be a compromise of a year or so, but that's it.

Pushing obsolete display technology is a fool's rant.

You really need to stop, tom!

It's rediculous.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
I will bet the FCC is not succesful and it will be extended to 2009. Watch and learn. The technology is not ready nor is the content.

The cell companies will have to wait and with the rool outs of EVDO, VCast, and other 3G technologies they have plenty of bandwidth for their current technologies. There will be no spectrun log jam there for many years to come.

More common knowledge?

VCRs are obsolete. CRTs are still being developed improved, and sold. Not exactly the behavior of an obsolete technology as you are trying desperately to convince us of.

Pushing incomplete,expensive, unreliable, display technology that is benchmarked to but cannot even EQUAL your "obsolete" CRT technology for minimal content enjoyment is something only a FOOL would buy in to. I'd rather be a fool with money in my pocket then one whinning becasie their $3000 TV is crapping out after a year or the SDTV channels look horrible......Yeah the bigger fool theory is alive and well and it is you.

No Credibility, tom
Unregistered guest
Rant, rant, rant....

You're simply not believable!

You still can't compose or proofread, either.

Foolish ignorance is not sellable.

CRT's suck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Foolish ignorance is indeed sellable...ask Samsung!!!!

No Credibility, tom
Unregistered guest
Rant, rant, rant....

You're simply not believable!

Foolish ignorance is not sellable.

CRT's suck!

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Bump

No Credibility, bong
Unregistered guest
Is dinner over?

I see the CRT zealot has returned.

CRT's suck!

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Bump......

People need to know thos stuff. The DLPs and RP LCDs are junk technology. PEople are paying thousands for this junk then having many many issues. Not to mention the surprise they get after it's home when they switch to a Standard DTV show. YIKES,

Read the issues on this board and others. These are NOT the exception. They seem to be the rule.

Save your money and buy in a few years when they get it right and there is enough HD content to make it worth while.

No Credibility, bong
Unregistered guest
He says, "People need to know thos stuff."

It's a wonder this ignorant fool can post at all.

EDTV and HDTV content is plentiful.
If you need a replacement set, buy what you like.

Forums are a fractional representation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
Forums are a fractional representation. Yes INDEED!

Read the "fractional represantative" statements of the CRT ownwers right here on this forum. Their "fractional" issues are on TVs 7-10 years old. The issues with DLP.LCD owners are LESS THEN 2 YEARS OLD!! Go Figure.

Theres your "fractional representation"
argument up in smoke fan-boy.

OH and post the percentage of HD to Standard TV content today fan-boy. Let those who don't know see what is really out there!

No Credibility, bong
Unregistered guest
"represantative
ownwers
LESS THEN 2 YEARS"

Still can't proofread your type, dumbass?

I guess it's to hard for you to spell, punctuate, and compose a few sentences correctly.

Tough life being stupid.

It's not very smart to tell people to buy a display based on the diminishing history of broadcast technology rather than the future.

Ignorant composition and ignorant ideas don't fly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
Its very interesting you will correct my typing mistakes but cannot form a decent rebuttal to my message which althouigh draped in typos still is very understandable.

Yes it is smart to tell people to wait until THAT very broadcast technology is the norm and not the exception. Especially when they have all to gain and nothng to lose. The future is NOT now as you seem to think. An inexpensive RPTV as a hold over for a few years is a very smart thing to do. Plenty of cash saved for a time when you will spend the difference in savings on a better TV WHEN possibly at that time there will be a MAJORITY of content with which to justify that expense...and as a bonus have TWO TVs!

Where is the idiocy there? The only ignorance is that which buys into the hype and keeping up with the Jones' mentality which is always dumb and never inexpensive. I offer an alternative IDea in all it's glory with all the typos and grammatical errors.....Smarter people then I can read through that.

chinese poet
Unregistered guest
Tom,

proofread or not you have hit the target on this one!!

I have been a electrical engineer for over 22 years ... I have and do develope digital circuits for 3 major audio/video companies
for their tv's and audio equipment.

crt is the only perfected technology in
use right now and a well calibrated hitachi
will beat the piss out of any other tv on the market.

as for demeaning and personal comments about your
typing ..let morons be morons they show their
lack of intelligence by falling for over hyped
technology .
c.p

To tom bong
Unregistered guest
Why can't you learn anything?

Now and THEN
Better THAN

EDTV is beautiful on fixed pixel displays.
It's on 24/7 with primetime HD programs and HD sporting events. They keep adding more HD content every day. Why is that so hard for you to understand. It really represents a lot of content. I'm not a big "fanboy" of oddass cable and sat channels. I doubt anyone else is, either.
The real meat is being served up in eyepopping splender.

What source is connected to your plasma?
Have you even tried an ATSC tuner with UHF digital off-air signals? It's definitely not a shiney "turd". You owe it to yourself to pick up a cheap ATSC terrestrial receiver and check it out. Sat isn't digital, not really. True digital networks are either on cable or off-air and require an ATSC tuner.

You might learn something if you could stop complaining for a while. You will gain respect if you stop bashing people.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
Although I am not here to gain kudos, I appreciate your words..

The "moron" you refer to knows his argument is weak. Usually in any debate personal attack reveals the loser of the debate.

I am offering an alternative opinion for what it's worth.

It's funny, Those like yourself who have agreed with my opinions claim to be in the engineering field, Go figure. I believe it though becasue only an engineer can understand the issues through the hype and "me too" mentality that drives the sales of this crap.

If I could find a decent new 480i RPCRT to watch for the next few years I would buy it. But I'll have to buy an HD with crappy SD performance.

To tom
Unregistered guest
Answer my questions!

What source is on your plasma?

Have you ever seen EDTV signals from ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc on an ATSC tuner?

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
I have TW cable and DVD. The EDTV looks fine, The SDTV looks terrible. As I have stated Iam not a huge fan of many network TV offferings. I read there are those who watch ONLY because of the HD..Thats pretty funny to me.To each his own.

My issue is with the cost/reliability issue. I have never seen a product where an EW is mandatory. LOL. Usually they are not worth a dime.

ALL the FPs look great in HD mode. BUt IMO There is not enough content and the reliability is questionable enough for me to feel the technology is NOT worth the entry fee TODAY for extended viewing and I expect will be in a few years.

My message is an alternate view for those on the fence. SOme agree most don't. If I save someone a few thousand so be it, If not I don't feel bad at all when they complain of issues here. They should know better.

To tom
Unregistered guest
Do you have an ATSC tuner in the plasma?
Do you have a seperate ATSC tuner?

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
I lease a Time Warner DVR/HD box. I don't believe I need anything else to get HD on the plasma. I don't watch a lot of network TV and not going to start now becasue the picture is more detailed. Like I have said before; A polished turd is still a turd.

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
One of the biggest voices (FYI) in support of the DLPs made this statement in another thread:

"I think you're ok with the R78 series.
I have an R67 now and a P53 before that".

and "I have been fighting that optical audio dropout in the same fashion as you...."

I have to ask if the TVs were so good why have paid for TWO Samsungs in two years? Either this guys is obsessed with being on the bleeding edge and cannot stand there being better technology out there at which case who will want to listen to that advice......or he has had issues with one and is pissing in the wind trying another or he is just flush with cash. Would you make a decesion based on someone who bought TWO of these in two years...for any of the above reasons?.

When is the last time someone had to buy back to back models?

And his second comment reflects a common thread here.... :""I too am experiencing that issue"

Yeah defend this technology all you want. Its just not ready, unless of course you have cash to burn and the patience of a saint....

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 224
It's not clever or unique for you to take my words out of context and twist them for your own purpose, but it is trite.

If you cared to look, you would find posts of mine that praise the P63 and Samsung for standing by some production issues with the new technology.

My P63 has a happy new owner because I wanted the latest generation of 720P DLP technology with higher contrast, a faster chip, the air bearing frictionless color wheel, and a fifth generation light engine. I'm very pleased!

If you had read my entire thread you would have found that my optical audio connection doesn't even go through the set. It's not even a constant occurrance as it only happens during the switching of channels on the STB. The connection is straight to my Onkyo SS receiver and has nothing whatsoever to do with the set.

You are free to express your opinion here, tom, but I ask that you refrain from using my posts out of context.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
I was absolutly correct in stating you had perhaps replaced your first Samsung ONLY to stay on the bleeding edge for "the latest generation." Peopl do not noramally replace a $2500 TV each year for that reason.

I also stated that those who always feel the need to stay on the bleeding edge are not very good tudors for those ordinary people seeking advice on buying a TV to last 10 years for obvious reasons.

I read your thread...You said you said you were experiencing the "SAME ISSUE" albeit in a different setup.issue was the word you used regardless of how you went around it and solved it.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 225
It's clear that you were attempting to disparage DLP with my words.

Your wording was an attemt to tag an audio drop out issue to DLP that didn't exist.

I've told you before that there are many people who are excited about the new technology and are willing to weather the growing pains.

I don't really care what you think about my intentions. I just wanted a better DLP. I don't care if you think I shouldn't be sharing my experiences with folks on this forum. You're not going to stop me. Most are directed at existing owners of DLP and a very few who have expressed interested in purchasing one. I don't think you own one, so, the folks I talk to probably don't care what you have to say.

You're out here trying to talk people out of buying DLP and other displays and from what I've read, it appears your opinion isn't very popular. I'm out here to help people with my first hand knowledge of A/V and DLP, not poke fun at people or ridicule them, or tear down some other technology, like you.

Let me be perfectly clear. If you use my name and words out of context, I will have your posts removed from this forum. I've dealt with people like you before. Do it again and see what happens!

DLP Owner,

Try to refrain from egging this guy on, please.

DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
He's an idiot!

Idiots should be exposed!

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 57
Bong,

I think we all get the message that you are trying to get across, and from looking at the number of posts you have, you have been rather busy. I am not saying that I totally agree or disagree with you, but how about providing people with some good suggestions for a RP CRT? You could list model #'s and maybe even reference in a review or two from a reputable website like cnet.com. I think most people appreciate your efforts here, but why don't you give people some info that they can use to go out and make a good buying decision? The article that you posted in another thread sounded like it basically said that there are no CRT's worth buying, right? Maybe I interpreted it wrong, but that's what it appeared to say to me.

BTW, everytime I have went to the stores and looked at CRT RP, I have been turned off by the narrow viewing angle and the inherently darker picture when compared with the micro displays.

Silver Member

Post Number: 156
FYI let me be pefectly clear. I could give a rats azz if you whine to the moderator and censor my posts. Easy to get around that fan boy. Your threats will not stop me from sharing MY opinions using the words expressed by others if needed.

YOu are a fanatic and therefore your opinon and information is extremily biased, You claim to have the same issue then you "qualify it" asa not the same. Nice back pedal.. You claim to buy another TV a year later becasue you have to keep up with the technology. Thats a real stupid example for those who want a TV to be relavant for more then 1 year...

I do not think those who are interested in buying this technology want to listen to someone who cannot even hold on to a TV for more then a year before replacing it.

Your words HAVE disparaged DLP purchases for me and there are a few others who are not fanatical about the technology and are looking for HONEST information, not glossy reviews from ther likes of you! I have read the forums and decided BASED UPON the information in the forums there needs to be an alternative view to the fanatical fan boys like yourself. THey listen to your drivel then runout and buy a huge dissapointment.

There are others who see my pint of view and have said so. I am no fan of the technology and my reasons are clearly stated,

So go ahead FYI do what you have to do....I will be back

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
HD fanatic I know you allwho peruse this board alot get the message. You can ignore it. It does not apply to you.

Those who are on the fence and asking for advice should read my opinion as well as those who are as fanatical as to buy a new DLP "to stay with the lastest generation" I find that the other extreme and that needs to be tempered by saner opinion.

As far as reccommendations, I have none. People have to decide which RPCRT is best for them. I am saddened that the technology although more reliable and less expensive is going away in favor of the stamped chip based TVs that are issue ladden in the name of profits for the makers.

I would love to have one though as I have said BUT...no the unreliable, expensive beta test models the manufacturers are pushing on the public and then not supporting. MAybe three years or four the technology will be ready.

No Credibility, bongboy
Unregistered guest
DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 11:52 am:

From the article, here is a statement that counters everything you have been saying!

"For now, because they're (micro-displays) priced at a "sweet spot" between CRT-based RPTVs and flat-panel LCD and plasma sets, the market is hot, there's plenty of competition, and quality and performance are high."

The only thing that will cause a drop in quality and performance is this statement, which by the way, was the death of CRT.

"But once flat-panel prices fall to within striking distance, the RPTV microdisplay market will become price-driven, regardless of technology, and quality and performance will drop."

I'll leave you with this from the article.

"the days of the deluxe, maximum-performance CRT-based RPTV are over......manufacturers can't afford to make them because only cheap CRT sets continue to sell in quantity."

Price driven forces have brought about the death of CRT, and with it, your argument to purchase one of any decent quality.

Unfortunately, the same forces are predicted to trigger the demise in quality of any popular display technology and I don't see how plasma could be excluded.

RE:
http://www.guidetohometheater.com/michaelfremer/805mf/

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
Price driven forces have brought about the death of CRT, and with it,

Thats right but the AUTHOR correctly states If you were smart you would buy a CRT. His tone is more like its a SHAME CRT is going away because of the economics. I think its becasue many have run to the bleeding edge feeder and makers have seen peope are fools and will buy anything flashy for any price even if its not particulary reliable....and you know what they are right. If I were them I would not be making expensive CRTS when I can have a much bigger profit margin fleecing those who will pay for flash over substance.

Broken Record bongboy
Unregistered guest
DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 11:52 am:

From the article, here is a statement that counters everything you have been saying!

"For now, because they're (micro-displays) priced at a "sweet spot" between CRT-based RPTVs and flat-panel LCD and plasma sets, the market is hot, there's plenty of competition, and quality and performance are high."

The only thing that will cause a drop in quality and performance is this statement, which by the way, was the death of CRT.

"But once flat-panel prices fall to within striking distance, the RPTV microdisplay market will become price-driven, regardless of technology, and quality and performance will drop."

I'll leave you with this from the article.

"the days of the deluxe, maximum-performance CRT-based RPTV are over......manufacturers can't afford to make them because only cheap CRT sets continue to sell in quantity."

Price driven forces have brought about the death of CRT, and with it, your argument to purchase one of any decent quality.

Unfortunately, the same forces are predicted to trigger the demise in quality of any popular display technology and I don't see how plasma could be excluded.

RE:
http://www.guidetohometheater.com/michaelfremer/805mf/

Gazzy
Unregistered guest
LOL!! This made an interesting read today, lots of flaming! What were we talking about again? TVs? Oh my god! Go outside, turn off that superior CRT and enjoy the sunshine :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
Yeah been on the beach all day...Still think DLP and RP LCD is a problem laden mess for masochists and those who have more money then sense to which PAnasonic,Sonym Samsung,LG and all the rest say....... A MEN

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
bump

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
Don't believe tom bong!
He's a ranting repetative idiot.

I'm not sure why he keeps repeating false information. It seems more like a self affirmation of his own propaganda.

He acts like he's on some kind of self appointed mission to save us from technology advances.

What a total moron!

Buy what you want, when you want it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 230
bump

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
bump

chett1t
Unregistered guest
I'm a newb, love the tech talk - just starting to understand - but what the heck is a "bump"? Must admit I am on the fence on this whole debate and really cheesed that my 27" JVC died now...after 18 years..thought replacing it would be quick.

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
I'll bet it was a CRT!

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
Bump raises the thread to the top.

I know how you feel. All I can say is read read read and do not get caught up in the hype. Only the facts and opinions of those who have done some research and those who own the TVs. There are extremes to each side. Find your middle. I did and it's people like you I offer my not so popular opinion too.

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
Do not get caught up in bong's hype.

He's a complete blithering idiot.

Don't follow a fool's rant!

Username: Chett1t

Post Number: 1
Would you all agree that any new set should be 16:9, regardless of technology?

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
YEs and no. I do not like stretched or zoomed standard TV on those screens.

And a 52" 4:3 standard picture will be larger then the same picture on a 52" 16:9 widescreen.

But in the end it comes down to personal preferance and whats available. Not many 4:3 screens out there so you will have more choices with a wide screen.

To Tom T
Unregistered guest
You bet!

bong-exposed fraud
Unregistered guest
Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 12:41am

Quotes from the link that tom bong posted in the samsung problems thread:

"In the old days, color imaging was accomplished by tickling phosphors with an electron gun. Surprisingly, this system produced (and continues to produce) the most life-like images of all, which is why CRT front projectors are still preferred by a small number of high-end customers for home theater applications."

"That's because CRTs are capable of a wide grayscale and can show images with very low luminance levels (shadow detail) as well as very high luminance levels (highlights) in the same scene. More importantly, when a CRT is idling, it is essentially shut off. I mean REALLY shut off, as in black. Not a deep gray, as you'll see with LCD, DLP, and LCoS projectors and AM LCD and plasma monitors."

If you ask people who really know this technology, they will tell you that a properly calibrated CRT is the reference that all others are measured by.

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/shmontrast.htm

A 2003 article that groups DLP black levels in with LCD and Plasma isn't very credible. Everyone knows that DLP black levels are matching CRT black levels while LCD is still unable to.

Using wording from a 2003 article as your own is pretty lame. It's pure plagiarism. It's misleading and outdated.

This proves beyond doubt that tom bong is a fraud.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us