What projector to buy for a restaurant/cafe?

Username: Griddy

USA

Post Number: 6
I am remodeling a small cafe in upstate NY and I plan to show movies once or twice a week (for free). As you can imagine, there are some unique issues involved. I will not be able to control sound absorption very well as I need floors that are easily cleaned and take very heavy foot traffic -- I have planned for wood floors. Any recommendations on how to improve sound quality? Should I put fabric on the walls? I don't want a hulking rear projection tv taking up valuable space so I am looking at a ceiling mounted front projection tv. But I am VERY limited in the amount of money I can spend, at least initially. I plan on buying used/refurbished only. If the movie-showing idea takes off and my business is adequately profitable, I can always upgrade. I have been searching eBay and there are lots of projectors out there but which brands do you recommend I keep my eye out for? I am not aiming for the top of the line stuff -- what modestly priced projector will do a decent job for the average customer? I have absolutely NO experience with home theatres -- I am a baker and a future cafe owner! HELP! Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Username: Sd_1080p

Post Number: 1
The sound is one problem another is the light issues. What is the lighting like in the place? Home theater projectors are designed with dark movie theater lighting in mind. You'll probably want to look at "multifunctional" projectors design for both business (data) and home theater use. Also, something with relatively high light output somewhere are 1200-1600 lumens. InFocus makes some good multifunctional projectors.

Username: Griddy

USA

Post Number: 7
Thanks B Shuto for your reply.
The lighting is not yet determined. The space is empty and I will be remodeling it which is why I am asking for advice before I begin. It currently has only 4 smallish windows. I was planning on having a friend make drapes with light-blocking liners. I don't know what the interior lighting will be -- I guess maybe recessed can lighting in the ceiling? A few sconces? All on dimmers? I will be replacing the current drop ceiling with a higher ceiling. Are there materials that are sound absorbing that are not exceedingly expensive? I know there are paints that are supposed to absorb sound and also a kind of sheetrock. Anyone have any experience with those products?
Infocus seems like a reliable brand and I have been watching the X1 and X1a auctions on eBay. I will keep the lumens in mind as I shop.

Username: Lcrutcher

Plano, Texas USA

Post Number: 4
He is right you need a high lumens projector if not in lighting high enough to see the food and friends the picture will not be that good.

R Sorrenson
Unregistered guest
Forget the x1, real bad rainbow effect and can give some people headaches, Plus if it dies you can forget service

I would look at the NEC LT 265, Lots of power, 2500 ansi or 2200 in low, really dependable

http://www.plasma.com/necprojectors/lt265.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us