Toshiba D-R4 and Dish Network

Username: Bobraker

Aiken, SC USA

Post Number: 1
I just purchased the Toshiba after trashing the POS Classic DVR I had. The Toshiba records mosts stuff fine, but I tried to record from a movie channel (from Dish Network connected via s-video) to a DVD-R. Would not record and told me source was copy protected. Records fine with DVD RAM. I would like to be able to watch the movie on a regular player. Will a stabilizer solve this problem? What stabilizer is recommended?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1417
Maybe and maybe not. Stabilizers are made mainly for macrovision. What you are having problems with is copy once, it's a different type of copy protection.

Anonymous

I was looking at buying the Toshiba DR-2 model. I downloaded the manual from Toshiba's website and it does say that for copy-once video it will only work on the DVD RAM. Check the manual for your model - it may say the same thing.

Username: Bobraker

Aiken, SC USA

Post Number: 2
OK is it possible to load the RAM onto the computer and then burn to DVD-R or RW or anything? Any suggestions...say we want to keep a pay per view or something...gotta be a way around this.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1423
If you have a RAM drive and an authoring program. I do them on my PC with TMPGEnc DVD Author, it's free for 30 days, then it's $70 to buy. It's a little time consuming. 20-25 minutes to load the disc in, there are probably faster drives than mine these days, another 5-15 or so to edit, make menus, etc, then another 15-20 to put it back on the HD for burning, then finally burning the disc. It would be alot easier to return the Toshiba if you can and buy a different recorder. Toshiba and Emerson are the only ones I've ever heard of having problems with copy once.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us