480i and 480p, somethings wrong

Username: Harrisjr

Post Number: 1
Ok, I have a samsung, 53 inch t.v. It will accpet 480i and 480p, so it says. When I switch my dvd player from 480i to 480p, the doubles the screen. It is split right down the middle. I don't know what it's doing. I think it's all hooked up right. It's just 3 video cables, correct?

Thanks

Post Number: 2
Here's the model pck5315rx samsung and it is HDTV Ready.

Username: Doc

Post Number: 4
I think i have an idea of why your sammy is sick. Hold tight I'll be back.... need to go to the research dept.

Doc

Post Number: 5
Alright Lee... Here is what i suggest you start with to trouble shoot this problem.

1. Make sure you are connected to the component video in's and out's on the DVD player to the TV. These (you probably already know) are Red, Green, and Blue connections.

2. On the back of many DVD players there is a manual switch to change the video signal output from the composite and s-video out... to the component video out. Check for this switch, if its there... switch it to the component out.

3. Sometimes the DVD player manufacturer likes to get even more rediculous and makes you turn on the component output from the players on-screen menu. Check here if needed.

4. On many HDTV models the "jack pack" on the back of the tv will have 1,2,3, or more component video inputs... few people realize, and few salespeople tell you, that many times only one of those component video inputs will accept High Res video. In your case progressive scan. try using different component inputs on the tv just incase.

Hopfully some of this helps. If not. Well, we dont want to talk about that right now... we can just hope this helps.

Keep us updated.

Doc

Post Number: 3
Ok, #1 I'm connected

#2 No manual switch

#3 I do have an on screen change that I have to make in the DVD menu, but when I change it to 480p, that is when the screen splits down the middle.

#4 Well, I have inputs for component DVD and Component DTV(I'm assuming HDTV?) When I put the plugs into the DTV, the DVD will play in 480p. Does that make sense? So if I get HDTV, I'm going to have to change the plugs from DVD to HDTV whenever I use the HDTV features?

Under DVD it says component, then the 3 inputs for the 3 wires

Under DTV, it says component, and also the 3 inputs

So you think I need to hook my DVD player up to my DTV component inputs? And do you think DTV is HDTV? Or Digital television?

Well, thanks for the info Doc. I'm looking forward to hear what you have to say about this.

Thanks again,
Lee

Post Number: 8
Hey Lee -

Alright so it looks like your tv is one of those with the multiple component, but single digital jack packs. Not really a big deal. You can hook your dvd player into the dtv input since it will allow you to use the prog. scan feature. The inputs accually being named DVD, DTV, arent really all that different from one another, except the digital in on DTV. I would use the DTV input for the DVD player for now.

Now as far as needing to change the inputs if you were to get HDTV, well... depends on you tv, does your tv have a seperate DVI connection? (Looks like a computer hookup) If it does have DVI then your set to go... you will just want to make sure the HD box you get has DVI out... If you doesnt have a DVI input, you will need to invest in an AV Reciever that will do component video switching. If you get to that point make sure you check the stats on the reciever... many av recievers have component video switching but some of them will accually degrade the picture quality. Check the stats on the component passthrough.

Let me know how it goes...

Doc

Post Number: 4
Thanks Doc,

I think I'll worry about that HDTV when it becomes available in my area. I'm gonna hook the dvd up through the dtv for now. I'm sure I'll be back asking questions when HDTV is offered. Maybe I can remember what you said about the DVI. That's a new one for me.

Anyway, thanks again for the help,
Lee

that dude
Unregistered guest
your t.v does not support 480p. assuming your followed the previous posts' procedures. when a "split screen" image comes up that means it does not support 480p.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us