Direct TV HDTV satellite launch?

Impatiently waiting
Unregistered guest
There was all this talk about Direct TV and it's huge rollout HDTV this summer. I've heard nothing lately. The big hype was they were going to be ready for the all-star game. Anyone hear any recent info on when they plan to have their new HD package available. I have a feeling they'll wait until late August or early September for the football fans. Any info would be appreciated!

Anonymous

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/get_directv/get_directv_dtvwithHD.dsp

brigopens
Unregistered guest
They've had HD for a long time now. Something new you mean? Please expand on what you are talking about? I've heard that at some point they will offer all of the networks in HD so you don't have to use an off air antenna, but I don't believe that has happened yet.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 227
I spoke with a second level supervisor at Direct TV yesterday. He says the birds are already flying. They are getting them in their geo-stationary orbits and configuring them for mpeg4 transmission. He says there will be a roll-out of new mpeg4 sat receivers (at no charge) to customers in 12 major cities this November. At first, the HD offering will be the present line-up plus the local networks in true digital HD from each major city. If all goes well they will expand to other cities and begin to add HD channels in 06 with a complete conversion to mpeg4 HD by 08. All present sat receivers including Tivo DVR will be obsolete by 2008. He says they will be phasing out all Hughes receivers as Hughes no longer owns Direct TV. The major brand receiver makers are going to be held to a single standard for manufacturing the new mpeg 4 units. The general operation and guide will be the same in all brands.

Username: Wgmarq

Hanson, MA US

Post Number: 1
Any clues as to where the "12 major cities" are ? I just got a Samsung HL-R5087W and the HD channels look real good but the standard channels do not look nearly as good as my old Sony XBR 40 CRT. Sure hope Boston is in the 12 :-) Any advice for improving the quality of the SDTV channels would be appreciated.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 234
I don't watch my local channels on Direct TV. I have a UHF antenna hooked into my off-air coax connection. My ATSC tuner is picking up free digital ED and HD local networks.

As for regular Direct TV channels I have my sharpness turned down to 30. They look ok, but lets face it, ED and HD will spoil you quickly.

Hanson, MA US

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the response, I only got the TV two days ago so I haven't tweeked the video settings too much , YET :-), I'm real pickey when it comes to the picture quality. I took me about a year before I could get my Sony to where I really liked it. I actually was in Texas for a few days and when I came home we had lost power for a few days so my tweeks to the Sony were all gone, back to default picture settings, so I went and bought the new TV.

Hanson, MA US

Post Number: 3
Just turned the sharpness down to 30, looks much better :-) What should I set everything else too LOL !!! We can talk about the virtues of a Monster Power Center after that.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 238
Sure!

Picture Mode- Standard
Film Mode- Off
Digital NR- Off
Enter Standard Mode
Color Tone- to Normal before changing anything else.
Contrast- 95
Bright- 45-50
Color- 50-55 to your own liking. Don't overdrive it.
Tint- a little toward red unless disabled.
My Color leave on default settings for now.

It "Setup" and "Color Weakness" turn it On and adjust the green to 2. It takes out some yellow tendancy.

I got these settings from running a THX setup.

I'm using the Monster HTS2000 Power Strip with a Belkin 500 UPS to keep the fan cooling the lamp during a power outage.

Hanson, MA US

Post Number: 4
Ok,
Mode- Standard
Film Mode- Grayed out will not let me adjust
Digital NR- Off
DNle - On, will not let me adjust "My Color Control with it off

Color Tone- Normal
Contrast- 95
Bright- 45-50
Sharpness - 30
Color- 35
Tint- Grayed out, can not change
Wonder why I can't adjust Film Mode ?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 241
If you are using component cables or digital cable it will disable some features on the set.
It makes the set act more like a dumb monitor expecting the device connected to do the adjusting rather than the set.

Seems a little low on the color level.

Since you don't have tint go into Menu-Setup-Color Weakness and set the green to 2-3.

This works for my set, but may not for yours.

Hanson, MA US

Post Number: 5
Got it good and screwed up now :-) I just set everything back to Default, I'm going to let me eyes rest a little now then read the book and really drive myself crazy. The movie Planet of The Apes has a THX setup in special features I'll give that a try later, thanks for the advice, I'll post later about the Power Center, long story short, I think it made a big improvement in sound but no help for picture quality.

Hanson, MA US

Post Number: 7
I just spoke to DirectTV, they do have an update available if you call 1-800-256-HDTV. They will tell you the 12 cities that will get their remaining locals in HD this year. Boston is one of them :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us