AKAI PT5492 (Page 1)

yes,
bought one today
pitcure is clear, sound is nice and very good for its price i belive
but then again i just got it today.

i have had mine for a month and it is great nothing fancy but it is what i needed
i am looking for a screen protector for it can anybody help me

I saw the exact same TV @ HH Greg (the other big box store; similar to Best Buy/Circuit City) however it was being marketed under the Samsung name and the only real difference that I could see was that it had a screen protector and the remote had the VCR function keys. All other details on both units were exactly the same.

The price @ HH Greg was $1400.00 and it carried the same warranty.

I plan to buy the unit @ Sam's for $999.00. I can live with the remote and I think I can buy a screen protector for less than $400.00.

I plan to buy the screen protector from Samsung or a Samsung distributor.

Good luck with your new set.

Anonymous
Has anyone purchased the Akai 27" flat screen television for $350? And is it worth the price?

I have had my 54" Akai tv fo about 4 months and I think it is great for the price. The picture and sound are both clear and crisp. But my problem is that there is no sat button I can't get my pip to work. I have a satillite and the Tv doesn't respond to it. If anyone knows anything please email me.

To Mike Smith

I have just bought an Akai PT5492 TV a week ago. So far, I am impressed with its performance particularly for the price ($998).

I had no problem connecting my dish satellite receiver to it. However, you cannot change satellite channels with Akai remote. You have to use the Sat. remote.

And PIP also worked for me. It was simple. Go to MENU and turn ON the PIP function and you also have choices to choose the source and the size of the PIP.

Reddy

To Reddy

I have tried that but all i can get is the same picture i have already. I want to know how to change channels through the pip and still keep a different picture on the tv. So what I mean is I want two different pictures playing at the same time. If anyone knows anything please email me or place an message thankyou.

Anonymous
The one From Sams does have the VCR function keys... The bottom of the remote has a sliding cover - move the cover down, and the function keys for VCR and PIP are hidden down there.

Refer to page 1.5 in the manual...

I've only had mine 2 days, but I love it.

Richard
Sam's also carried an HDTV version of Akai for about $1400.

I am think about getting that one. Any comments?

I also was looking at the HDTV version, but can not find any info on it..
Any have anything to say about this unit?
AKAI PTH 5498

J.
I am having the same problem as Stephen, the inability to find anything at all on the WWW about the 54" HDTV model PTH 5498. I have tried all search engines without luck. I did find a site with Akai televisions and the part numbers did not have the letter H in them, only PT ---.
If anyone really knows what this model is your help would be appreciated.

Anonymous
I suspect that the HDTV model is the Samsung PCL545R. You can get some information about it from the www.samsungusa.com website.

Anonymous
Basic info at www.akaiusa.com.

regarding the PT5492,Does it have multi-point convergence adjustment or just the single point? Thanks in advance for this info!

I am also looking for the specs on the AKAI 54" HDTV without any luck. I am deciding between that or the 50" Toshiba Theater Ready HDTV ($500 difference in price) Does anyone know if the AKAI 54" HDTV is capable of full picture with Wide Screen DVD's? Just let me know

Anonymous
The manual for the Akai HDTV says that you can adjust convergence for two colors -- I guess that's what you mean by a multi-point conversion adjustment? There is also an aspect ratio adjustment that zooms from letterbox to full screen. It cuts off part of the picture when it zooms, so I prefer to watch it in letterbox mode. Note that the price of the HDTV version has been reduced to $1,300, and it comes with the a screen protector (cost at least $200). So if you want a screen protector, it's only a couple of hundred dollars more for HD capability.

hopx3
The best info I've found on the Akai 54" HDTV in on the Samsclub.com website, but it doesn't address all of my questions. My local Sam's store has a DVD player connected via composite cables and the Zoom1/2 aspects don't actually cover the entire screen. If you connect via component cables to 480i/p jack, will it zoom to fullscreen? How does NTSC feed (analog/digital cable) look on this TV? It doesn't seem to have any upconversion tools to enhance standard feeds.

What is the difference between wide screen and this Akai PTH5498?

Anonymous
I would like to know if either the Akai PT5492 TV or the HDTV version of it is multisystem (Pal/Scam). I need to move, and I want to know if I can take it with me.

Anonymous
I am thinking of purchasing an Akia television. the only question I have what is their quality like? I have seen them at Sams Club, and I must admit the picture looks great, but I have never heard of this brand before. Even the 24" flat screen tv looks great and was thinking of purchsing that for my kids so I could actually enjoy the big set myself. Again tho, I am worried about the quality considering I have never heard of the brand nor do I know of anyone who has had any experience with it.

I too am torn over whether to make the purchase on the HDTV. Like most of you, I have looked everywhere but can't find any info or a review from someone that has one. A friend of mine told me that the set may be made by someone else and sold under the Akai name. Does anyone think this is a possibility?

Anonymous
So any more info on the Akai 5498?

Anonymous
I can't find the Akai HDTV on the samsclub site. What is the trick?

funtoos
akai pth5498 is back on sams club site again . It was gone for few weeks.

funtoos
I saw panasonic 53inch hdtv at sams club web site for $1399 in Aug. it is not there now. Did anyone else see it. Same one is available at Circuit city in range of $1700. It disappeared fom web site before I could buy

Leighton
i bought a 27 inch Akai Pure Flat tv from a local trader(he bought it from sams club) it works great! no probs and it is a true flat picture.
i paid $300 he said he paid $350 . good deal

Rosanne Masi
I just want to thank all of you for taking the time to put in your info. It has helped me make a decision on a nice TV for our father. Thanks!

Anonymous
The PT5492 at Sams is a good unit, however watch their pricing policy and practices. They are currently dropping their price on this unit up to 22% and now selling a PT5492"S" that comes with a screen protector @ the $999.00 price. This for lack of better words, sucks for those of us who have already purchased the PT5492 over 30 days ago. Its great if you don't care for the screen protector and have been waiting for some reason to buy this TV, but I have been tould by several technicians not to go too long with out a screen protector. Be prepared to pay $150.00 to $200.00 for adding the screen protector yourself and more if by a tech.

JCC
I have a 27" flat screen AKAI TV, I'm getting a black square in the middle of the screen when I use my DVD player, or sometimes when switching channels with a digital cable box... Does someone knows what's the problem???

I just found this Akai site. Go to www.akai_usa.tripod.com. This site says that they are the US distributer for Akai products. The information on their products is less descriptive than that on Samsclub.com. They do have info on warranty repairs and state that this end of the product line started US distribution last year. Akai is famous for their musical effects units for guitars and things like digital samplers and recorders for the recording industry. They have a good reputation in that field. Maybe it will carry over to the rear projection tv's. I am probably going to purchase the PT5498 tomorrow. Taking a chance but the thing looks so good at Sam's. I think it might be worth the additional $140 for a 3yr extended in-home warranty. What do the rest of you all think? I'll post my experiences on setting this unit up and tweaking it. I live out in the woods of NW Florida and get my TV throught Dish Network. Local stations pretty much suck around here. I keep hearing all this talk on HDTV by 2006 when hardly any of the local stations have even made it to stereo yet.

I have been looking for a wide screen for a couple of weeks and I have now narrowed it down to either a Philips 60" at costco for 1399.00, a Toshiba 47" (4:16)HDTV for 1499.00 but I have to say after looking at sams, that the akai 54" model # PTH 5498 HDTV with a screen protector for 1299.00 is my best bang for the buck, I was also not sure of the quality of the product so I will be buying the 3year extended plan just in case but like alway, sams as well as costco are great about returning merchandise if you have any problems so im secure in my purchase....like I said before, I have done alot of looking for the best hdtv widescreen for the money and have yet to find any better than the one at sams, if anyone knows of anything better please let me know..

Anonymous
We were at Sams Club yesterday and viewed the Akai Big Screen w/a screen saver for 999.99 and thought we too would like to take our chances on purchasing this product of unknown origin in our world. So thanks for all of the valuable information that we have learned in your world.

does anyone know whether the hd ready pth5498 is truly a fully rated hdtv?

yes it is a true hdtv, you just have to use the 1080i option on back of the widescreen, I have found the local sattelite company is my only true option to view this, cable will take a few more years, I was looking at a dvd and it says it is hdtv mastered..does that mean you will get hdtv quality while watching the dvd, providing you have a hdtv ready tv ??

Ron
Well count me in on thinking about buying the Akai 5498 HDTV at Sams. I go there once a week and I'm more and more tempted to throw it on my credit card. I just wish I had more info on it.

Well, I purchased the 5498 yesterday, along with the 3 year in-home extended warranty for another $140.00. My first advice to anyone purchasing the TV is to measure, not eyeball, where this set is to be placed. IT IS BIG. A lot bigger than what it looks at Sam's where it is dwarfed by the warehouse shelves and other products stacked up high around it. Take someone with you to help load it in a truck or trailer. IT IS BIG. Sam's will graciously use the fork lift to get the box down and place it on a flat cart, then it is your responsiblilty to get it to the cashier, to your vehicle, and then to home. When installing keep in mind that if you have an existing surround system, that most of your existing connectors may not be long enough to get to the back of this set, especially if your equipment is on the TV's left side. IT IS BIG. All of the connectors on the TV are on the lower right rear as you are facing the set from the front. One thing that took me by surprise is the fact that the set was assembled in Greenville, TN. Right here in the USA. I'm sure all the components are from the orient, but I fully expected this thing to be built in Taiwan, Japan or China. Once I got the set plugged in and a DVD connected to the front panel input, just so I could see it work before rewiring everything, I was impressed with the fact that I did not have to set the convergence. It was "picture perfect" the first time. Just using the standard AV connectors with the unit gave very impressive performance. I was expecting some degree of grain, but the picture was great for non-HD image. I guess it was 480i. I don't thing my DVD player is progressive, it is interlaced. Using the S-video input about knocked my socks off, it was great. I have not viewed the DVD with the Composite connectors. The instruction manual is easy to understand, though not very detailed. It is straight english, not translated english. BTW, someone mentioned in a previous posting that the pip did not seem to work, this one works great using it's two built in tuners for standard antenna connections. The picture was great for standard television. The Dish Network picture is excellent on their channels with higher bandwidth. On some of the standard Dish Network Channels there is noticable pixelation, but no worse than on the 32" TV I did have. There are castor wheels built into the cabinet for ease of moving. The whole unit weighs less than 200 lbs. I'm guessing around 160 to 170 lb. range.

Oh, did I say this thing IS BIG.

Ron
Andrew-Thanks for the review. It's the first detailed review I've seen! I'm also going from a 32" TV . How far away is your couch to your TV? I have around 8-10 feet between mine-would that be too close for this TV?

Ron

I'm guessing I'm about 10 to 12 feet from the screen. It is definitely in-you-face, but the picture is clear. Even when watching TV using the antenna, you don't see the scan lines like I have seen on large screen tv's from years back. The way this set is positioned in relation to my wifes favorite rocker, it is at an extreme angle. Suprisingly, the image looks great. It does not darken. The only way to degrade the image is to stand up close to the set and look down at the screen, then the image darkens.

So far, I have been very impressed.

Charles
Well, I too just purchased the PTH5498 HDTV. I was very skeptical at first because no real information anywhere, but i thought what the heck, i can always return it. I will say this for know, I have only had it 2 days and I am in the process of hooking up a HD Cable box from time warner. Right now I have Digital cable and the premium channels are awesome. CAnt wait to see what the picture will look like when I Get HBO which broadcasts in HDTV. So far the premium channels are very clear after hooking the cable box with composite cables. This improved the picture and also manually adjusting the RED AND BLUE convergance points.Regular anolog channels are not as clean and clear on cable, but that depends on the signal strength of the channel. Most are very good while some like WB are terrible, but that is the signal not the TV. I am basing this information while sitting only 6 feet away from the screen since I have a small living room and if the picture is this good at that distance then this TV is a solid buy. I am in the process of moving furniture around to get at least 10 feet way and I tell you, the image is amazing even at regular analog channels. I purchased it at sams for $1299and so far it is definately worth the money. This TV is Huge as ANDREW SAID. It is 54" and worth the money for a first timer like myself.
I will keep you updated as I hook up the HD cable box and view the full potential of the 1080i HD signal as well as buy the AKAI progresive DVD player to fully utilize the resolution.

Ron
Andrew and Charles-Thanks for the response. Based on both of your reviews,I'm going to buy the set very soon. I'm just trying to figure out where to put my HT system. I had everything in a wall unit, but that won't work anymore. Where do you guys put the reciever, dvd player,cable box,etc.? Andrew had a good point about the wire length for the HT sound system.

rbrown
Charles:

Is adjusting the convergence to get it correct a pain in the rear or a fairly easy task?

I bought the PTH5498 HDTV at Sams Club yesterday. I am having the same problem as Mike Smith. When reading the manual it does not address the codes to enter for the DishPro 301 satellite receiver from DishNetwork. When I activate PIP both pictures show the same channel. (I "turned on" the PIP as suggested by Subhash Reddy -- it didn't work for me.) If anyone out there can walk me thru how to enable the PIP using my DishNetwork system, I would be eternally grateful. I can, however, get PIP of a television program and a DVD simultaneously. I don't know anything about PIP. Is there a way to hear what's being broadcast on the smaller display without having to make it the primary picture?

Adjust Convergance

First to address Rbrown, the convergence is easy to set up. Go to settings and then video and adjust red first by using remote to move red line so that it disappears behind the the cross hairs. Do the same with the blue lines. Might have to actually go right up to the TV to see properly. The outer cross hairs are quite blurry.

The final Lowdown

Okay, first the SamsClub site does not show the AKAi projections anymore. Maby they are coming out with a new model or maby discontinuing. Not sure. Check the site. IF you are going to buy this TV and just plug in cable from the wall straight to the TV, you will be very disappointed. The picture is terrible. HAving satelite or a digtal cable box from Time Warner will make a hug difference. Remember, almost all channels on TV right now are Anolog and only a few are digital and even less are HDTV. Anolog looks bad on a Big screen no matter what Big Screen Projection you buy. You can however improve the picture by doing the following. When using A digital Box like I have, you must connect the Cable box directly to the TV with 3 RCA plugs(R,WH,Y) from the box to the TV and the cable line from the wall to the cable box the to the TV. Must use monster cables to improve the signal. This will dramatically improve the analog channels which are most of them on cable. Doing this, the analog channels are very good, the Digital Channels are great and the HD channels are Awesome! Also depending on the signal of the Analog channels, the clearer they will be. Some analog channels like WB are bad just because of their week signal. This will be different for different locations. Also maunually converge the RED and BLUE in settings to improve the picture. I found that RCA composite plugs are better than using S-ViDEO. To recieve HDTV your cable box must be HD. Also you will need to buy COMPONENT MONSTER CABLE to get a really great picture in HDTV. The one that comes with the cable box is average. I get 2 HBO Channels in HD and a PUBLIC channel that plays 24/7 in HD. Time Warner calls it a HD DEMONstration loop. HDTV on the PTH 5498 is Awesome. The premium channels on digital cable is very good. After watching HDTV for a while all the other channels look like crap. But really they are good. It is just that HDTV blows everything else away. Also you will need to buy a progressive DVD player because this TV has progressive scan and it really makes a difference. MAke sure you hook up the DVD player will COMPONENT cables(Gr, Bl, R) if it does not come with the DVD player. Mine did not. After doing all this I went to Circuit City and Best Buy and compared my signals to theirs and the AKAi in HDTV was similar in quality. I went to circuit city and they were running an Analog channel on A high end HDTV and the quality was the same. This made me fel really good. So, for the money and the screen size of the AKAI PTH 5498, I will conclude it is definetly worth the money if you do Like I did and fully utilize the capability of the TV.

AKAI TV is a piece of junk, bought the PT5492 and every few days the picture goes haywire. The manual says to unplug for 30 seconds and that usually fixes it. This time it's not working, I've tried everything inclusing the convergence but I think it's gone this time. I've gone to both the sa's site where the TV is no longer listed and has no warranty info, and waht looks like the distributor which has no info but an address. The trpod site above is no longer there. This TV is 4 months old and nothing but problems. If anyone knows where I can get the warranty work PLEASE e-mail me at mikeberrien@yahoo.com I would highly advise based on my experience to buy a name brand you have heard of. The manual has no warranty info in it either. I know $999 was cheap but I would have rather spent a little more, my last mitsubishi was going strong for 7 years. I only sold it to get a bigger picture. Any warratny help very apprieciated I'm in the middle of a movie I can't watch! Very irritating, don't buy this cheap set!

Mike:
I got this address and phone number off of Akai.com, for the US service. The warranty for the Akai is not described in the owners manual. It was a separate piece of paper. When I get home this afternoon I'll send you the info on the warranty sheet. It listed an 800 number to schedule in-home warranty repair. The address and phone number I found online is:

APH USA
1500 Olympic Blvd.,
Santa Monica, CA 90405
U.S.A.

Tel. 310-664-8060

I understand your frustration over a large investment not working, but don't claim that Akai's are junk until the rest of us that bought one has problems. As I said though, I understand how you feel. I've taken chances before buying a "no-name" product for less and then it not work. But more often than not, I ended up with a good deal. I've found that paying more does not always mean you are getting more or better quality. Probably most of the large screen brands use the same parts suppliers for their products. Anyway, I'll send you the info tonight, or if you prefer I can fax a copy of it to you or even scan it into a pdf file. If you want a fax, send me your fax number. Good luck on getting this thing fixed. It will be interesting to see how well developed the Akai repair network is. I was scared of potential problems so I got an extended warranty on mine. Hopefully I won't have to find out how well Sam's Club extended warranties are.

Anonymous
new price at sam's club for akai 54" projection tv model # pt549 is now 899.99 in orlando area

I have nothing but good things to say about the Akai HDTV, other than that small problem of accessing PIP through our DishNetwork satellite feed. I attempted to call Akai/USA in Los Angeles thru their phone # (310) 664-8060 for assistance. The receptionist transferred me to someone named Mike who's supposed to handle tech issues. His voice main picked up and I left my name & phone # and why I was calling -- he never returned the call. I called again thinking he might not want to call across the country, again he wasn't in and did not respond to my voice mail msg. Evidently, Akai/USA does not want to deal with consumers.

However, I did contact DishNetwork and spoke with several tech assistance people and came up with the following: 1) a single Model 301 or 501 receiver will only be able to pull in one signal (i.e. channel), 2) if you own 2 receivers both can be input into the TV and if different DishNetwork addresses are assigned to each, PIP will work as it does when a DVD or VCR is a second device fed into the TV set, 3) the last option I was able to get from those guys is purchasing a new "dual signal receiver" which allows the customer to pull in two signals thru a single box, the good news is it does what I was looking for, but the bad news is the unit costs either $599 or somewhere in the $700's depending upon which DishNetwork tech is correct, as I got two different answers from two different representatives. (Neither of these prices is acceptable to me.) I hope this is of some help to those expecting, as I did, to receive satellite PIP thru a single receiver. Again, overall, I am quite pleased with the performance of the Akai HDTV.

(I do have one question though, when we first received the television I remember being able to adjust the volume through the Akai remote control, now when I try to adjust it nothing happens and the bar that runs across the top of the remote only flashes red, not green as it used to. I may have pushed something in the menu options which disabled it, but I can't figure out what. Do you have any ideas?)

Anonymous
Has anyone verified that the PTH5498 HDTV is the same as the Samsung PCL545R? I know that that rumor has been circulating around and would like to get confirmation on it. If so, this would be an incredible deal! Thanks!

Charles
Samsung PCL545R
It is not the same. it has very similar look and features but not the same.

The Samsung has a
3D Y/C Comb Filter which is better

PTH5498 has only 3 line filter

The Samsung has a
NTSC to 480p upconversion, AKAI does not.

Everything else basically the same and price of samsung is a little more expensive. Not much.

Admin (Admin)
>> Next Page
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us