Sony Wega KDF-E55A20 or JVC HD-52G786

Username: Zach

Post Number: 1
Well, I've narrowed the search down to these 2 models. Personally, I think the JVC 52" HD-ILA set (HD-52G786) PQ edges out the Sony KDF-E55A20 55"(and the overall TV is just plain good looking!). However, Sony has a better track record, the menus are far easier to navigate. The Sony PQ is not quite as bright, but still a good picture (the best among the LCDs in my opinion). Anyone have any experience trying to decide between these 2 sets? Or, at least can provide some insight to either one of these? I feel like I'm stuck! Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 44
CNET did a thorough review of the KDF-E50A10 which is the 50" version of the Sony you are looking at. They gave it a pretty good rating.(7 out of 10) Here is the link.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KDF_E50A10/4505-6482_7-31453800-2.html?tag=tab

I haven't seen a thorough review on the new JVC's yet, but personally I think that LCoS edges out LCD in a number of categories. The new JVC's are also downright beautiful. LCoS works off of reflective technology, much like DLP, so fast moving images are handled better than LCD. In case you haven't read this, here is a link that tells a little about each technology.

http://www.jvc.com/Presentations/HDILA/drawbacks.html

Username: Zach

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info HD Fanatic. I also had some additional questions about the difference between the 2 sets.

1) Which TV is better for viewing SD cable?
2) Which TV is better for watching DVDs (using the HDMI connection)
3) Which bulb will last longer?
4) Which TV is more difficult to set-up (calibrate, etc.)?
5) Is it me, or does the Sony picture look "darker" or is this something that can be calibrated to better enhance the brightness of the picture (like the JVC)?

Any further help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Anonymous

WARNING WARNING WARNING, Will Robinson...
check out lamp life and replacement bulb costs. You may find that JVC's cost of ownership is MUCH less than Sony. I am not sure, but research it!!!
I had a Sony projector and bulbs were 400-500 each, blowing every 7 to 9 months. Yikes!!! That was an ugly surprise.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
1) Which TV is better for viewing SD cable?

Neither one. Both will be a little rough as they are designed for much more signal than SD cable can supply. However, if your cable system is 100% digital (even 2 - 99), then it's not as bad. If you're buying for SD quality, then HD might not be the direction you want to go.

2) Which TV is better for watching DVDs (using the HDMI connection)

Hands down, the JVC.

3) Which bulb will last longer?

JVC claims a life expectency of 6,000 hours. As you've seen, a number of people have reported premature bulb failures. I've had my JVC for 9 months and am still going strong (knock on wood).

4) Which TV is more difficult to set-up (calibrate, etc.)?

I have no idea there. I would suspect that they are equivalent.

5) Is it me, or does the Sony picture look "darker" or is this something that can be calibrated to better enhance the brightness of the picture (like the JVC)?

The Sony will never be as "bright" as the JVC. That is a characteristic difference between LCD and LCoS. Some people like the more "muted" look of the Sony. Personally, it came down to these two sets as well. And, ultimately I chose JVC due to the better fast motion picture and the brighter, more vivid picture.

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 49
Zach,

I agree with everything that tvshopper said. As for which bulb will last longer, there are too many variables to answer that question. They both have pretty decent track records when it comes to that.

As for bulb cost, they are both about the same $200 - $300. The above statement by anonymous is for front projectors which cost twice as much and burn out 3 times as often due to the increase in heat and lumen output.

Unregistered guest
Have any of you noticed a skipping or slight freezing of your picture while watching your JVC and football games? It seems like it is fine when the game is not in HD but HD games seem to skip and I am not sure if it is the HD receiver from comcast or the tv.. any help

Silver Member
Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 118
"WARNING WARNING WARNING, Will Robinson...
check out lamp life and replacement bulb costs. You may find that JVC's cost of ownership is MUCH less than Sony. I am not sure, but research it!!!
I had a Sony projector and bulbs were 400-500 each, blowing every 7 to 9 months. Yikes!!! That was an ugly surprise."

Doing some research would show Anonymous that replacement lamps for Sony LCD RP TVs are $199.00. Perhaps this person has a front projector. Hour life for the Sony XL-2100 replacement lamp is around 8000 hours.

Username: Douxguerrier

Post Number: 3
Look at the issues posted on this web site about the SONY LCD RP. I don't believe that the LCD RP or LCOS technology is ready. Too complicated. This means that something can go wrong very easily. I would stick with a technology that has less reliability issues. So far DLP is not doing bad. I was told that RCA DLP for example had a reliability record under 3%. I would stick to something that works.

Username: Deanbrew

Post Number: 3
"Neither one. Both will be a little rough as they are designed for much more signal than SD cable can supply. However, if your cable system is 100% digital (even 2 - 99), then it's not as bad. If you're buying for SD quality, then HD might not be the direction you want to go."

I'm not sure I understand this comment. Just because I buy a high-def TV in the 50-60" size range doesn't mean I stop watching all SD programming. I imagine that I will be watching SD programming for years to come, so SD picture quality is an important factor in choosing a TV.

For example, I'm hoping that TIVO will come out with a cable HD TIVO box next year, but in the meantime, I will continue to use my SD TIVO, as it has become an irreplaceable part of my TV watching.

Otherwise, I'd just like to bump this thread to the top and hear from anyone else regarding these two TVs.

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 98
What he meant was that neither TV will look all that great with SD. (Standard definition ie; analog channels) This is true with all HD sets due to having to convert the analog signal to a digital signal that the TV can use, and then up-convert the signal to the sets native resolution. Digital channels will look a little better, but the closer to the sets native resolution the better the PQ will be. Obviously a 720P signal going into a 720P set will look awesome due to no upconverting or scaling.

IMO, the Sony has the edge on analog channels. The AD converter used is superior to the JVC's. However, I would still choose the JVC over the Sony because LCoS has some major benefits over LCD, and personally I do not watch much analog TV anymore. It's either digital or HD.

If you have cable, and watch alot of analog material, I think you might be a little bit disappointed. IMO,satellite TV is a better choice for an HD set because it's all digital.

On a more positive note, both sets have built-in HD tuners, so if your area broadcasts the local channels in HD and digital (like mine do), then you can enjoy that, and all you need is an antenna!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us