Sceptre 37 LCD

Bronze Member
Username: Guygadois

Post Number: 27
Does anyone have any information about this new model coming out. The company said it is a Costco only product and is yet to be released. any info would be great. Here are the specs:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11049091&whse=BC&topnav=&c at=3316&hierPath=79*3316*

Limited Time Offer Item:

Online Price $1,999.99
*Less coupon -$250.00
Less mail-in rebate -$50.00
YOUR COST $1,699.99

To redeem $50.00 Mail-in rebate:

· This rebate offer is valid on qualified online purchases dated August 22, 2005 to August 28, 2005, with a limit of one (1) rebate per household/membership.

· Once you have received your ship confirmation email, visit the costco.com rebate center to submit your rebate online. For additional details and restrictions contact Costco Member Services at 1-877-726-7826.

The Sceptre X37SV-Naga LCD monitor features a built-in TV tuner and an infrared remote to keep you in control. Featuring 1920 x 1080 resolution and a 1000:1 contrast ratio and HDMI/ DVI video inputs, the Sceptre X37SV-Naga offers everything you need for excellent TV viewing anywhere in your home.

Display:

* Screen Size: 37" TFT LCD
* Aspect Ratio: 16:9
* Resolution: 1920 x 1080
* Brightness: 600cd/m²
* Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
* Response Time: 8ms
* Viewing Angle: 170° H/170H° V

Audio:

* Built-in speakers: 10w x 10w
* Surround sound

Signals:

* Built in NTSC & ATSC tuners
* HDTV 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i (ATSC + NTSC)

Inputs:

* HDMI/ DVI Support HDCP
* HD Component (Y, Pb, Pr): x 2
* S-Video 4-pin DIN: x 1
* Composite RCA A/V: x 1
* RGB 15-pin D-Sub: x 1

Outputs:

* Audio Out (RCA Jack)
* Sub-Woofer output

General:

* Removable Speakers and Stand
* Power Source: 100 - 240V, 2.4A 50 - 60Hz
* Power Consumption: 180 watts
* Wall mountable; Standard VESA

Dimensions:

w/ stand: 44.5"W x 10"D x 27"H
w/o stand: 44.5"W x 5.5"D x 23.5"H
* Weight: 62 lbs (w/ stand), 57 lbs (w/o stand)
* Warranty: One-year limited

For product support contact Sceptre at:

* www.sceptre.com
* Email: costco@sceptre.com
* Phone: 800-788-2878

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
These are made by Compal Electronics using B and C-grade Chi Mei Optoeletronics {CMO} panels.

Not much information is available on the overall quality of this particular unit. However, be advise Sceptre does not support what they sell., they rely 100% on Costco for customer support. Which at some point is good, but imagine if you get it from ShopNBC...

Sceptre have a zero policy for dead pixels, no matter how many dead/stuck ones your unit has, they won't consider that a defect.

It has proven by former owners some of these Sceptre units don't last very long. The quality will always be questionable on any LCD that uses anything other than an A-grade panel.

Bronze Member
Username: Guygadois

Post Number: 28
so you like them? :-)

I may look at something else. I really like the idea of buying at Costco because they will take it back pretty much whenever and for whatever reason. If it isn't the quality we were looking for they will take it back, no questions.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
I've seen the 27" wasn't that bad the owner claims it had two tiny bright lights on the corner, i took a look and there they were, 2-pixels stuck in the lower right corner, you could actually seen them on a Black screen.

Not so irritating when they are in thouse areas and knowing they use B or C grade panels to lower the cost of the unit, you're taking a risk.

But when they {stuck pixels} are near the center and/or the LCD it's from a popular namebrand, you cannot accept such inperfections.

Like you said, if you aren't satisfied, you can take it back to Costco. You might be lucky and get one unit that will be trouble-free, who knows. It's a great price, though.

Anonymous

If these are "b" and "c" grade panels, what products contain the
"a" grade panels? If they are trying to make only b&c grades, when they accidentally get an A grade, do they throw it away?

The only other product I know of with this panel is the Westinghouse, or the yet to materialze (as far as I know) BenQ. Maybe that's where the "a" grades go.

It certainly sounds like a great idea to pay a little more and get whatever product has the "a" panels.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
These can also have "A" grade panels, but do to the targeted retail price, the distributor {Sceptre} is force to buy 2nd grade panels to keep the units within budget and at the same time profitable.

When OEMs buy these they specifically request their whole lot to be top notch quality, meaning "A" grade panels. Nothing less will be accepted.

The factories will re-sell the less than perfect batch to other manufacturers who can use them for their LCD TVs, monitors or any other smaller LCD products such as cellular phones, notebooks, wrist watches, etc. for a lower price.

Some high-end manufacturers even buy and use B-panels who are in good condition but where graded as secondary quality just to save a few millions an that's how they can "past the savings" to us.

When the clients with a retail price target {companies like Sceptre} order these panels they are getting "B" and "C" grade., never the other way around unless they want to sell their products for premium., or for a much lower price they can buy mixed lots, which includes a combination of both grades and some C's and D's.

Westinghouse gets all their panels from this same manufacturer and all of them or most of them are "A" and some "B" grade for certain retailers. Is not bad to purchase units with less than A-grade panels, the only downfall with "B" and "C" panels is the changes of defects are a bit greater than with a grade "A" panel.

Having said that, i don't mean you will find every single unit with a less than an A grade panel with a defect, sometimes there are good "B" panels and there some bad "A" panels. You might find a dead or stuck pixel on a Sharp Aquos or a Samsung, but the chances of that is unlikely.

The Sony PSP game console had C-grade panels in them and Sony did this with purpose, they refuse each and everyone who directly enquire about it, but after many retail returns, they had no other choice but to spend twice as much and get B-grade panels {not even A-panels} to replace the thousands of screens with stuck and dead pixels in them.

Here's something interesting with theses PSPs, the Japanese units have Sharp panels, but the U.S. and European units have Chi Mei Optoelectronics panels. Not that is a bad thing, but...

Sceptre
Unregistered guest
Perry Z. First of all, Sceptre uses many panels from a variety of taiwan panel manufacturers. CMO is just one of them. FYI the 37" does not use CMO's panel and the manufacturer is not Compal. IF you know a little about the industry, then you should know when LCD manufacturers order panels from panel makers such as CMO, they order in large quantities. The panel maker will always have a defect rate of 5-10% depending on the panel maker. Meaning if you order 100, 5-10 out of the 100 might have problems. So when panel makers send out panels to manufacturers they always send 110% quantity to make up for the defect rate. Secptre does not buy sub-grade panels. Furthermore, if you know a little about mechanical/industrial engineering, you'll know that no matter how good your factory is there will always be some QA problems that arise, which when caught is fixed on site. Last but not least, where did you get that Sceptre does not support their monitors from? We offer tech support for the life of the monitor. Sceptre's 1 year parts / labor policy is standard on most LCD manufacturers unless you want to buy outrageously overpriced Sony or Sharp. We do offer a 2 year extended plan for a reasonable price. Our dead pixel policy is NOT zero tolerance. It is compliant with industry standards ie. 17" LCD will be replaced if it has 8 dark sub pixels or 8 bright pixels or a combo of 10. As for customer service, it is exactly the opposite of what you said. Costco actually dumps anything support onto Sceptre! I don't mind you talking about the existence of subquality panels, but I DO MIND when you mouth off about a company which you have no idea about.

Unregistered guest
When I type www.sceptre.com, this is what I get"No web site is configured at this address." so much for a "BIG" company.
I have a 32" LCD that I am returning TODAY to Costco. let them deal with you

Weebee
Unregistered guest
Sceptre: Who (if you can say) manufactures the 37" panel?

Guest to Sceptre: Learn how to use the web. Sceptre website works fine (maybe google can assist you)

Unregistered guest
I bought a Sceptre 20 inch monitor from Costco last year (it only costs $399 after coupon and mail-in rebate now). I have to say I love it! I am glad I didn't spend money on a Sony (that is what I had in mind in the first place). This monitor is on for more than 8 hours a day, on the average, since I bought it. Anyway, I would recommend this monitor to everyone. I am going to order this Sceptre 37" lcd tv and see if it does live up to my expection or not... if not, I will just returne it back costco.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Thanks you for your "polite" message, Sceptre.

That's normal for a tiny company with NON-existent customer service as yours to fire back defending their non-existent policies and the quality of the raw materials.

People who read this forum, buy an Sceptre product you will be throwing your money away, their quality control is VERY questionable, When have anyone heard quality 37" LCD TVs costing only $1,699.99? or a 30" for $899.99? The golden rule of marketing is buy it cheap in Taiwan assemble cheap in Taiwan sell it cheap in the United States, there's no way around that. Search the internet for comments from owners regarding the products this importer throws out.

What this poser has posted is just normal company policy to protect their profits. They very well know the statements written by me above aren't nothing but the truth. As any Costco member knows they do all the customer service for everything they sell. Costco DOES NOT dump ANYTHING to ANY manufacturer, that includes former South Korean Computer monitor distributor now LCD importer, Sceptre.

Sceptre, take some of the time you've normally would spend on this forum or chewing gum to take the calls from the many angry owners of your products., specially thouse who bought them at ShopNBC.

BTW; "IF" you have ANY organization and you know how to handle product information releases in that little company of yours, give Jim Peterson a call and tell him to stop saying the 27" Sceptres you sold his TV Network employer ARE NOT made by Compal. according to him they are...

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Guest to sceptre,

The website is as good as their products or customer service.

Hockeyfox
Unregistered guest
Geez...I have a 20" Sceptre monitor and it is fantastic. Blanket statements like yours lessens the credibility factor.

Anonymous

Both Perry Z., Sceptre (and anyone else for that matter) should head on over to the AVS Forum. There's already 600+ posts discussing this monitor:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=551970&page=1

Also, concerning Perry's far reaching statement that "The golden rule of marketing is buy it cheap in Taiwan assemble cheap in Taiwan sell it cheap in the United States, there's no way around that." I'd like to point out that in this day and age all manner of electronics are built in Taiwan from the best to the worst. Even my Powerbook G4 is assembled in Taiwan and it is anything but "assembled cheap in Taiwan and sold cheap in the US." It is a rock solid/awesome machine coming straight from Taiwan.

CVB

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Hocketfox,

"Thanks" for your not so enligthing hijacked post.

I'm glad for you that you are happy and satify with your Sceptre unit. I as a industrial insider A.K.A. EXPERT IN THE SUBJECT know the accurate facts of what i had post early on this old dead thread that individuals like you keep revicing for not apparent reason.

If Sceptre is what you can afford, then go ahead, take the upcoming opportunity to get the 37" one from Costco and while you at it., also head to http://www.walmart.com/ and get the 30" for $899.99 then you'll have a trio of 3rd grade quality panels.

Respectfully yours,

-Perrey Z.
THE TRUE EXPERT

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
CVB,

First of all my name is Perrey Z. P-E-R-R-E-Y Z. not P-E-R-R-Y Z.

Secondly, were are talking about Sceptre's flat panel television sets and their panel grades, NOT APPLE NOTEBOOKS!

Thirdly, your statement make less sense than a Russian drunk at a Vodka factory.

We all know Apple loves to rip-off their end-users out of their last penny for common products that aren't upgradable, or able to perform a simple tasks of replacing a rechargable battery wrap in lovely designs with unreal price tags.

The end-user like yourself **might** think is getting a top notch product just because it saids "Apple", but at the end everything comes from ASUSTek, Amtran, Compal, Honn Hai/FoxComm or BenQ. the price for Apple goods says nothing about their quality. The supplier's manufacturing technique and raw materials will not change for a ODM client unless thouse clients, in this case Sceptre and Apple want it to.

Anonymous

True Expert.....please elaborate. I'm just dying to know your qualifications. And please learn to type or speak in English.

Until people have the Sceptre 37" in hand and can offer reviews, we can only speculate. If it has a picture quality similar to the Westinghouse unit, then this is a decent deal.

jpconard
Unregistered guest
Keep in mind other brand name companies have to charge extra to keep their stores running - i.e. Sony and Apple. Sceptre does not have stores. Go into select new malls and you will see the Sony stores where they pat you down to make sure you haven't stolen their little $2000 robot dog. Is Sceptre bad for not having stores and robot dogs? Not necessarily.

Anonymous

Perrey ZZZZZZ ("The Expert") you've posted 7 times and offered nothing new. I suggested you check out the link I posted (all 600+ posts) and learn something.

And as you continue to contradict yourself, please clarify when price has anything to do with quality? Is this only valid for some brands on your x-mas list and not others?

CVB

Anonymous

Tatung 30" that WalMart has is a GRADE A panel. Tatung is a WELL KNOWN and respected OEM used by many major companies.

A vast majority of LCD TV's that one can get in the USA market are GRADE A panels! Due to companies like Photon Dynamics, yields have substantially improved as well as the output of Grade A panels. Sceptre, Tatung, TECO, Sampo/Maxent are all GRADE A panels. Viewsonic is also Grade A and Viewsonic uses several different OEMs across its lines.

Of all the TVs in Walmart and Costco, all of them are Grade A panels. iLO for example is the Walmart Housebrand and is using Grade A Chi Mei panels, I ferget if the OEM was TECO or Tatung offhand.

As to who is using the lesser grade panels, those arent as common in the USA and most of it is actually being sourced to less developed countries since output for Grade A is pretty damn good nowadays from the LCD plants. Im sure some of those could be obtained here, but not at mass vendors like Walmart and Costco and Bestbuy And Circuit City for instance nor through Microcenter (Winbook their housebrand uses Grade A LG panels on the 32" for instance).

Anonymous

Just got Sceptre 37". Two dead pixels. Remote control was missing from the package.

Anonymous

Sounds like you bought from a reseller who gave you someone elses used goods. Whoever you bought that Sceptre from, go elsewhere. Someone tried to stick you with shoddy merchandise.

I have heard stories like that with all brands but they are the fault of the vendors, not the manufacturers.

Anonymous

got the Sceptre, no dead pixels, everything's wonderful but the the stock speakers of course.. The manual is skimpy, but they did include a lot of cables that make your life easier, like a DVI to HDMI cable, a VGA cable, a PC audio cable.

As for how they got it to be so cheap, well you can tell that the speakers cost a whole $2, and the plastic isn't high grade or thick or anything like what you would expect on a sony. The options that the panel offers leave something to be desired. And the PIP will not let you watch 2 channels, it only lets you watch 2 different sources. So thats why its so cheap. They are giving you a no frills deal.. sorta like buying a car stock.. no A/C, no power windows/locks..nothing.

Bottom line: the panel looks great but has no perks. It does a good job of doubling as a computer monitor by including VGA and PC Audio in ports.

Anonymous

I bought a Sceptre 37 inch LCD from Costco.com for a great price. It arrived about a week later. It was flakey the first 3 days (couldn't get stereo sound & it sometimes wouldnt turn on). After 3 days, it got stuck in permanent "sleep mode." It won't turn on or off, lest you unplug it, in which case it turns off! I am boxing it up & taking it back to Costco. I think I'll stick with a name brand.

rsaini
Unregistered guest
we got the sceptre 37 inch LCD. looks ok. the problem is that when we change the channel, there is a delay in the sound.You can see the characters talking but the no sound for about 10 second. any idea how It can be corrected. Also PIP doesnot seem to work ?

TV wonderpimp
Unregistered guest
Bought the 37" when it came out and returned it the day after it came. The picture was mediocre, at best. The sound quality of the speakers was poor. Even the quality of the plastic body of the TV was cheap and flimsy.

I did, however, come across a fantastic deal at costco upon returning the sceptre. They had a 37" Sharp Aquos LCD with built in HDTV tuner for only $1999.99. Set up was a breeze, the picture is beyond amazing with analog, digital, and HD. My DVD's haven't seen better days. The sound quality of the built in speakers is fantastic, but realitically, get some kind of surround sound if you are hosting a TV like this one. Anyhow, this model comes online at costco.com every now and then, but you are better off visiting a handful of costcos to try and find it.

For only $300 + tax additional, junk the sceptre and get a quality product

Anonymous

I wonder if Perrey Z. has ever bought a Sceptre product. He offers no comments on anything specific just generalised personal opinions.

I have bought two Sceptre monitors, one of which is the 20.1 inch. This one in particular, with the resolution, brightness and quality is the best I have ever had and I have a number of flat panels, and have used many more.

I would not waste any more money buying another higher priced lower spec product when products like this are on the market..

I would suggest people if they are going to comment on particulars products that they have some specific experience of the product first.

Even then it is possible to have a bad one from any manufacturer.

I buy both high and low priced products. The main thing for me is that I look at what they offer me for price, performance, quality etc, then I buy what I like.

Well done Sceptre keep on bringing out great products at sensible prices.

mizike
Unregistered guest
I bought a Sceptre x9g-Gamer 19inch LCD, while their 'technical support' will help you plug in a cable, their RMA department is strictly an answering machine, leave a message and no one calls you back. Very poor service from them.

SciFer
Unregistered guest
Well well, I'm not an "Expert" but I do have 5 LCD HDTVs and have spend a lot of hours analyzing these screens. By doing so I've developed a pretty good eye for this. I have had this Sceptre 37" for several months now and here is my opinion. I have no bad pixels. The screen/colors/clarity is awesome. What I have noticed is that picture is only as good as the video source. The buil-in ATSC tuner is pretty good, it picked up some more channels than my Dish Sat 921 HDTV receiver (which includes a built-in OTA ATSC receiver) but I prefer to watch the OTA HDTV using the the Dish receiver. Audio is decent, I use a Pioneer Elite receiver as my audio 70% of the time. The audio/speakers are sufficient. The housing/chasis when I first saw it, well first impressions was that it wasn't that impressive but you grow to like it (especially for the price). Yes, I do wish it was a nicer deep dark black but the picture does speak for itself. Bottom line: for the price I love it!

www.ConventionalLoans.net
www.FHALoans.org

Username: Jkdood

Post Number: 2
Does anyone have a recent Sceptre brand LCD TV? If so would you kindly look on the rear label for the little UL-approval icon, next to it is a number such as E123456 or E765432. If you post the data (Sceptre model and UL number) here, I can tell you who the manufacturer is.

(I am also interested in Sceptre LCD monitors of recent purchase.)

P.S. Information I researched back in the 90's indicated at that point that Sceptre(Link Computer Inc.- City of Industry, Ca;) was actually a (marketing) subsidiary of Compal. All of their monitors except a couple from Topvision were Compal-made. Sceptre then either was "sold off" or went independent or it was just hushed up. And of course their branded product comes from several places now.

(I am an independent research analyst that has covered CE products for 26+ years.)

Scepter is fine
Unregistered guest
I bought the 26" Scepter at Costco for $599 and there is not better LCD for a computer at that size and price. DVDs look fantastic on it although ought it to use as a computer monitor primarily.

Perry obviously has an Ax to grind . Its a great bang for the buck.

rmac757
Unregistered guest
does anyone know how the 37 Maxtent measures up

Username: Bluemax50

Holyoke, MA United States

Post Number: 1
Well all the talk surrounding the Sceptre 37" display!! I will say that Sceptre has their share of problems, but then again so do Sony, Philips, Panasonic and all the other display makers. One thing I've noticed (and been a part of) is that what usually makes into the forums are problems from people looking for help. The Sceptre 37" right now hands down has been the most feature packed 37" LCD display you can buy right the money. Lets see for 1500 bucks you get a display capable of 1080P dual tuners and plenty of other features. The only thing close is the Westinghouse which has no tuners and is basicly a monitor, and the Westie will cost you more money!! Fact of the matter is your hearing alot about the Scepter because their selling tons of em!! I read all the commentary and I still ordered one because you simply get to much display not to give it a shot. Say what you want but for 1500 bucks or less name a display with better features, it doesn't exist!!! By the way I orginally bought a 37" Westinghouse and returned it because of the common vertical banding issue. The Vizio L37 has contrast issues and the Philips was 500 bucks more with less resolution.Want a Sony or LG? 700-2000 more less resolution. Compare Apples to Apples, for you buyers where money isn't an object maybe you should look somewhere else, in fact you should buy retail and get an extended warrentee. For you buyers looking for the most bang for your buck you should at least concider the Scepter.

Username: X37sv_naga

Post Number: 1
jkdood - Here's a reply to your request for info on recently purchased Sceptre X37SV Nagas. I just purchased an X37SV Naga from costco.com for $1,499.00 on March 21, 2006. Below the UL label on the back, the number I have is E258158; can you tell me who manufactured the panel on my unit?

By the way, I'm currently renovating my home so I have not yet had a chance to set up the unit, although I did send in the owner registration/warranty card right away. Looking forward to your response.

Post Number: 3
E259158 is registered to "Sceptre" as an applicant for certification, almost suggesting they are a manufacturer. Theere are exceptions, Viewsonic does this now but still OEMs. Ot is likely that this is therefore a Compal, a company Sceptre is part-owned by.

By the way, Vizio is owned by AmTran and now all of their product seems to come from them (earlier, Lite-On and others made some OEM for Vizio.)

Username: X37sv_naga

Post Number: 2
jkdood - thanks for responding. According to a March 30, 2006 review of the X37SV Naga by hothardware.com (http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=800), the panel on the unit they inspected (mfr. date unknown) was made by AU Optronics Corp. The review seems reasonably reliable. Where can I look on my unit to see who made the panel?

Post Number: 4
The panel label is usually right on the rear of the panel itself, so you need to look inside. Rarely, it will also be on a label on the rear of the unit and also visible. It will usually say AUO or have a UL file number "Exxxxxx" that can be looked up.

Post Number: 5
FYI: AUO announced they are merging with QDI (which is Quanta) last week. The big panel makers in Taiwan are thinning out.

Post Number: 6
FYI: AUO is AU Optronics, and has E-numbers registered of: E204356 and E247522

They were formed from a merger of Acer and Unipac a few years back, and are bigger than QDI (Quanta Displays) that they are merging with, actually a takeover I think.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us