Oh poor DLP

Pirate
Unregistered guest
Yep, DLP is terrible in my opinion. The black bars that bend, the dirty/fuzzy looking picture, and most of all, the ridiculous color wheel.

LCD is a proven technology that has been around for some time now, in fact, your probably looking at an LCD monitor as you read this thread.

Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 6
CRT is still the best. Ask thosse who do professional video editing or photo work. Even LCDs have to operate in native resolution to look the best. Not so with CRTs. NO issue with fast movement. Calibration is easy and correct. Looks equally good qith both Standard format AND HD format content.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 52
Yea they might be the best, but you need three men and a boy just to move one of the big screens. I have the old Mistubishi 40" direct view and two of us can bairly get the thing on off the shelf and onto a dolly. It will be replaced by the end of the year if the job situation stays as is.

A Little Bit Annoyed
Unregistered guest
It's great that everyone has their own favorite type of TV, but I think you should save your opinions for when they're actually needed. I don't know about you, but I came here to get good hard information on rear-projection TVs, not to read the biased opinions of fanboys.

fx
Unregistered guest
"It's great that everyone has their own favorite type of TV, but I think you should save your opinions for when they're actually needed. I don't know about you, but I came here to get good hard information on rear-projection TVs, not to read the biased opinions of fanboys.

Considering that one man's trash is another man's treasure you are looking in the wrong place if you aren't looking for opinions.

No matter how the technical specifications stack up against one another what matters in the end is your opinion of how well it looks to you and if it otherwise suits your personal needs.

Of course that is just my opinion. :-)

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 10
RPCRTS are the best...HAppy now?

Anonymous

You think you have an answer for everything, bong boy. All you really have is an opinion.

You come on here touting and reccommending the latest CRT technology when your most recent purchase was a damned over-priced plazma.
Your experience with CRT is a self-confessed ownership of a decade old Toshiba, probably on it's last days.

Anyone can read these forums and form an opinion like yours. The trouble with that is these forums represent a small fraction of the overall market, usually the few with production defects.

You're entitled to your opinion.
I'm entitled to my opinion of your opinion.

Anonymous

You know what I don't like? Is somebody who hides behind the Anonymous posting. Use a name so we know it's the same person who talks crap on us all the time.

Anonymous

Look who's calling the kettle black!

Where's your name, bub?

Bronze Member
Username: Gnnr

NJ USA

Post Number: 78
Yep, DLP is terrible in my opinion. The black bars that bend, the dirty/fuzzy looking picture, and most of all, the ridiculous color wheel.

LCD is a proven technology that has been around for some time now, in fact, your probably looking at an LCD monitor as you read this thread.

I thought this was a post from like 3 years ago... how lame, and totally untrue. You couldn't pay me to buy a LCD screen. Plasma and DLP are the only real solutions out there right now, though DILA/LCoS are coming on strong.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Neither is ready. I aqgree Plasma is better then both but to expensive in the big screens.

DLP has too much room for issues beginning with latency issues and the noisy spinning color wheel (now there is a moving part that will need to be replaced at some point) yes to the lamps which could cost thoisands more over the life of the TV. $300 per year times 7 years....do the math. Kinda reminds me of printer manufacturers. ANd most ex warranties (for those who can't sleep without those total wastes of money rips) are not even covered...go figure.

Anonymous

Your comments directly insult the purchasers of certain technologies. Your final comment insults the purchasers of extended warranties while not making any sense whatsoever.

Your information is erroneous.
I know a guy with an HLM DLP that's still running on the original lamp after three years. Replacement lamps are under $200.

There are no threads about noisy color wheels in the 05 models. I've seen only two threads about faulty color wheels in 04 models and they were both replaced at no charge. Doesn't sound like a major concern to me.

While you seem to provide a multitude of subjective alianating opinions, you don't contribute anything of real value to this forum.
Go troll elsewhere.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
>>Your comments directly insult the purchasers of certain technologies. Your final comment insults the purchasers of extended warranties while not making any sense whatsoever.<<

If someone who paid $3000 for a TV is insulted because it is my sole opinion they have paid too much for too little..I would suggest they are giving my opinion too much weight. Not my issue.

If they are again insulted because I personally think Extended warranties are a waste of money (albeit perhaps not on this not ready for primetime technology) again they and you especially are giving me too much credit.

It is an alternative opinion yes. I know after spending a small fortune on technology that will be out of date next week. those who have been seperated from their money would rather be met with warm and fuzzy handshakes and back slaps. But there is an alternative opinion that holds that the technology is still laden with issues and those whoi buy into it now are nothing but beta testers who are paying for the R&D needed to make the technology reasonable and reliable for those of us who would rather wait. For that I do thank all of you very much and support your efforts to be on the bleeding edge of this technology.

Alternate opinions are not the enemy son. Sometimes the experience that forms those opinions is valid indeed. The enemy is blind acceptance of the wow factor which quickly fades away when your are watching a $3000 TV with three year old technology while others are buying the same for $1500 with a much more proven track record.

It never pays to be on the bleeding edge. The wow factor fades long before the payments.

Username: Stevea

Post Number: 5
Sounds like someone has been taking way too many "bong hits," if you know what I mean.

I'm totally happy with my Bleeding Edge DLP TV technology so far. And I didn't have to bleed all that much. There's no "bending black bars," no "dirty fuzzy picture," no color wheel noise, no fan noise, no other negative audio/video issues at all, just high quality, relatively inexpensive widescreen TV.

I say "relatively inexpensive" because I remember back in the early '70's when I bought my first Tex. Inst. 4-function calculator, which cost $125; the same item is now available for $5; some banks, etc, even give them away. Couple of years later, I bought an HP Scientific Calculator for $400; available now for about $20 and has even more stuff on it. So it makes the $1800 I spent on this DLP TV stuff seem pretty damn cheap these days. In fact, it's a freakin' bargain! Like I said, I didn't have to bleed all that much.

Today I was at Best Buy to get my nephew a gift card. I cruised by all the widescreen TV displays just to "check them out." LCD, DLP, D-ILA, Plasma, the whole thing. I'm extremely pleased to report that my Toshiba DLP still has the best picture for the money, hands down.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us