New sony KDF-E50A10 or Samsung HL-R5067W

Ezrange
Unregistered guest
I'm looking to pull the trigger on one of these TV's by the end of next month just in time for football season. My biggest worry like anyone else is picking the right one. My primary concern is playing ps2 games and pic. quality. I was ready to go out and buy a Sammy "R" but these Sony's are just hitting the shelves.
I have read and known about most of the pros and cons about DLP vs LCD. Im just looking for a few more opinions from people that have had the same interests and found the right TV for them.
Any more input would be greatly appreciated.

Z28kid
Unregistered guest
I was looking for the 50 from sony but i got the 55 instead. PS2 looks amazing. I would go with that sony. They just came out. Every nice TV.

Anonymous

If you like to watch sports you should go with the DLP.

Anonymous

Cnet did a review of the E50A10 if you are interested.

Username: Rcraig3

Post Number: 2
I just returned a Sony KDF-E50A10. For me personally, it had too dark of an overall picture. There was also some minor blur in fast moving scenes/objects. I opted for my original choice, a Samsung HL-R4667W (DLP). This set seems overall more bright and dynamic. I still have some tweeking to do, but I'm getting close!

Out of the box, the Sony default video settings looked pretty bad. If you go with the Sony, with some proper calibration, it makes a pretty big difference ... but again, always appeared too dark for my liking.

Best of luck.

Unawnimus
Unregistered guest
I was looking at these two exact makes and models yesterday and was trying to determine which set and type of technology would be best (for me). In looking around on the internet, I came across some people indicating that they are having issues with some of the Sony LCD projections.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/137540.html

Looking around on the internet some more produced more messages that are similar in content. Have any of you here heard anything about these problems?

Bronze Member
Username: Kainan

Post Number: 18
One thing I dislike here is that you can have so many anonymous posts. I looked through the topic you listed and while it may be true it could be fabrication. Considering the avsforums has hundreds and hundreds of posts by happy Sony LCD owners I have to question the validity of this problem. If it is valid then I wonder if search engines have given those who have had problems a single place to post up (search engine finds complaint thread and it builds). If these few people are the majority of those who have had problems and bothered doing a search then it would be a very small # of owners. These things are so difficult to guess as to fact, fiction, or simply small percentage that flocked to one place.

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 76
Amen. It's a tough call between these two sets. Had I been going towards an LCD projection I think I likely would have gone for the A10s, though I was aware of the spider crack problem on the 655 and 955s and that turned me away. Had it just been reports I would have been more skeptical but seeing photgraphs of the problem exhibited definitely pointed more towards an actual problem rather than anonymous bashers. Really nice PQ. I ended up going for the HLR5067 and could not be happier, but I think I would have been equally happy with the Sony, it's a really nice looking set.

HS

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Yeah, I think I would be happy with either. The screen door effect bothers me more than anything about the LCDs. With poor feed it is more noticable. The DLPs have the rainbow effect which I think would bother me once I had it pointed out to me. Everything is about compromises.
I don't doubt that some people have had problems with these LCDs. My doubt comes in as to the percentage of users. Regardless of the percentage I would be one ticked off owner if I had this issue. The same goes if I bought a DLP or CRT and something went out though. Electronics fail. That is part of life. We just hope we get something with a very low percentage of failure.

Unregistered guest
Wow, this is crazy. I was looking at these exact two sets today at BB. I have to buy at Best Buy because my 3-year-old Toshiba 42 popped something, but luckily my extended warranty covered it. Unluckily, they say it can't be fixed so I get store credit. I gotta say, if I didn't have that extended warranty that everyone told me was a waste of money, I'd be pretty pissed. When a 2K TV craps out after 3.5 years with with no hope of repair, that's pretty rediculous.
Anyway, I narrowed down the choice to the Sony KDF-E50A10 or the Samsung HL-R5067W. The BB guy was pushing the sony pretty hard, and it did look good - better than the 60 inch Samsung right next to it. The 50 inch Samsung was in another room though, making side by side comparison impossible. The Samsung is also about $200 cheaper. And it has PIP. This whole LCD/DLP thing is making my head hurt.
Please Help.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1626

quote:

I gotta say, if I didn't have that extended warranty that everyone told me was a waste of money, I'd be pretty pissed. When a 2K TV craps out after 3.5 years with with no hope of repair, that's pretty rediculous.

When a 2000 dollar TV breaks down after a few years, it's reasonable considering today's immature technology.

Unregistered guest
Oh, I'm not suprised it broke down (even though it was one of those "more reliable" crt models), considering the shoddy and fragile construction of today's consumer products. I do think it's fair to be a little disturbed by the notion that the repair would cost more than a new unit. That's just outrageous as far as I'm concerned.

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 85
Yep, they don't make the CRTs like they used to. Some people don't realize that. Glad to hear your success story with the Extended Warranty. You're getting a major technology and picture quality upgrade!

Either set the A10 Sony or the Samsung 5067 will suit you nicely. Both are very nice sets. It's a personal choice which looks better to you and if someone told me "Choose one" I'd have a tough time myself!

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 569
>>>Regardless of the percentage I would be one ticked off owner if I had this issue.<<<

This is one of the more intellegant quotes I have seen here. Someone who is doing research and NOT giving the makers a pass due to the "small sampling"

If a "small sampling" of Boeing 747s had issues would you fly in any one of them?

Those who are young do not remember how terrible many products were made. CArs are the best example. Computers, When is the last time someone witha CRT had random picture flipping? MOst won't even know of this common CRT issue. Vertical and horizontal hold anyone?

The young have been scared into buying Extended Warranties!! I will admit on a RPDLP or RPLCD they are neccesary. But that is the very reason to run from any product. Especially one costing $3000!
Thier logic is backwards.

Its expensive so I have to spend another %400! Instead of "I need a $400 warranty ona $3000 TV? Keep the TV!"

BOTH THOSE SETS in my much berated opinion from what I have read here and in other forums are very likely to cause you grief...then again maybe you will be one of the lucky ones.......You feeling Lucky? Well Are you?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Well Tom, at least we know it is highly unlikely we will have to follow any of your posts and say, "This is an intelligent quote." Don't they have B&W TV forums on here for people like you?

After further investigation I have found that the x7 models of the Sammy DLPs do indeed have latency issues with both sound and gaming.
Also, I said the SDE (Screen Door Effect) bothered me about the Sony. After further study I've found that it isn't this. It isn't the pixels I'm seeing at 5' or more away at all. The pixels are small enough to disappear by then with ease. It is SSE or (Silk Screen Effect) and micro blocking that not only the LCDs suffer from. The picture becomes a bit mutatated and it lumps colors into small chunks. In effect it looks to me like it has 1/4" pixels at times! After reading more and using logic (if pixels were that big it would show one everything and not just bad HD content) I realized my error. These new sets show exactly what comes through the feed to the best of their ability. The CRTs gloss things over so to speak. On my Elite I was happier because the picture simply looked SOFT. I remember now that I was upset when I got my new Direct TV set up and everything looked so soft. Well, the LCDs (and DLPs) don't deal with poor feed the same way. If it is content that is presented in 1080i but is really 480i or 480p that is just upconverted to death then that is when you see it. If you look at a DVD the picture looks awesome. If you look at good quality HD then the picture looks awesome. However, if you look at upconverted crappy HD, which 90% is before primetime TV, then you will notice what I'm talking about. The picture in general will look rough and jumbled at times.
Anyway, I just wanted to clarify.
Oh, Tom.. I researched it and the old B&W tube TVs don't have this problem. Of course you can't watch anything in HD but that is of small consequence since you have so much money in your pockets from never buying anything. Also, one more thing for you. I've seen early reports that the Sony SXRD won't blow people away like some had hoped. The blacks are blacker but it still has some new technology problems. Wait another 5 years or so and they should have something out that you like. ;) Happy viewing...

Unregistered guest
Well, in the last 20 hours or so I've read a lot of Tom's proselytizing and agree the situation with these TV's and their technology and their penchant for giving up the ghost quickly and the need for extended warranties is a giant "screw you" to consumers from the manufacturers. But I haven't seen any solutions from you. If I want a widescreen HD TV, what choice do I have? My Toshiba was a CRT, and it crapped out. I'm hard pressed to find RPCRT's to replace it. I'm off to BB now and still don't know which one I'm gonna get.

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 115
If you didn't have to buy from BB, then I would reccommend the Hitachi CRT. It has the best looking picture I have seen in a RPCRT. Beware of stuck pixels on LCD projection. I had an XS 60" with a bright blue pixel smack dab in the middle of the screen. I tried ignoring it, but my eyes were drawn to it all the time. It was easily visible from 10-12 ft back.

Unregistered guest
Ooo. Kainan - what is this x7 latency thing you speak of? I've read a few posts about lag - is x7 a model line? Is the HL-R5067W going to have these problems? I want to game! Does that relegate me to the sony? please respond!

Silver Member

Post Number: 577
>>Wait another 5 years or so and they should have something out that you like. ;) Happy viewing...<<

If it takes 5 years to expect a TV that is as cost free and relibale as what we have been used to for the past 60....Well CRTs will not be going anywhere.

Your are not understanding my points and who they are directed at. The average JOE, You are not the average Joe, You are one who wants and enjoys the technical aspect of the inner workings. The average Joe wants to buy a TV turn it on and get what he is used to. a Long lasting TV that has no hidden costs, looks equally well on ANY input, and will in all probability last 7-10 years.

Any less then that and he will be disappointed no matter HOW GREAT the few HD shows look. My brother is the avg JOE he watches TV 4-5 hours per day and baseball/Football on weekends on his 4 year old Hitachi RPCRT on BOTH cable AND Direct TV!!. As much as he eats and sleeps Television he would not consider the HD PQ as enough of a trade of for the cost of the same and the issues whether a small percentage or large. So far apparently after 5 or moreyears of HD 85% of the public feels the same.

I think people need to be made aware of those issues. I heard a Best Buy Sales Dweeb telling customers HD will be mandatory in July 06!!! I read this on this forum as well. People are being mislead and outright lied to.

You guys who are more interested in seeing a Gnati½s azz close after it passes gas on the floor in a scene from CSI rather then follow the actual story are a different breed. You are willing to pay for that "opportunity." You are constantly looking for flaws and micro blocks, dead pixels on a such a minutiae level yet you clearly accept the claymation look of Standard TV content which is in far more supply then the very content your TV displays best!!!!

This will not do for the average Joe who could care less and would never even consider and laugh at those who would actually pay someone to "adjust" their color to perfection. Thati½s pretty "Obsessive Compulsive" for the average TV viewer.

If You guys clearly on this OC level are screaming foul in the numbers you are relative to ALL other different technology forum, I think the average person should be aware of that and be doubly aware of what to expect and NOT to expect from a technology they have always know to turn on and off for many many years without a single issue.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Here are a few points
1. RPCRTs are NOT the same as what we have been viewing for the last 60 years. If they were then people would be playing games on them and letting their kids play games on them without having to fork over $$$ to replace CRTs.
2. RPCRTs are going away. The average Joe doesn't have a choice AND the average Joe is going to take one look at a 300 pound TV and one look at a 60 pound TV and go away with the 60 pound TV.
3. The average Joe doesn't obsess about his TV purchase like many here do (me included). He won't see these forums and won't care.
4. If your brother has a a 4 year old Hitachi RPCRT then he is NOT an average Joe. Is this a non HD Hitachi I suppose? If it is non HD then he still isn't an AVERAGE Joe and if it IS HD then he is FAR FAR from being an average Joe if he bought it 4 years ago.
5. Your brother is related to you and that enough should disqualify him from the debate. Sorry, but I think most here would agree. :-) Ok ok, you can try to use him but I've already shown the fault in that.
6. Replacing CRTs due to game burn in, TV logo burn in and other burn in IS INDEED a HIDDEN COST. It isn't just games man. I know many people replacing CRTs due to logo burn in or 4:3 bar burn in.
7. The quality TV shows are in good quality HD. The list increases monthly and certainly isn't getting any shorter. Sorry but I'm not counting Jerry Springer in there. Sports are in a whole new world on HD. This is one reason I originally bought my Elite.
8. I don't know about Gnati or whoever you are talking about but YES I do like seeing people more clearly on my TV. Thanks.
9. I've never paid anyone to adjust my color but for those who do, they can spend their money how they want. I could care less. I'm not going to rag on someone who buys a $40K BMW over a $13K Kia Sophia either. If they want the BMW and they have the money then I will gladly watch them drive by in their BMW and I will compose my dislike for someone who would have the audacity to spend money so wastefully. *sarcasm if you didn't pick that up*
10. You are Tom Bong.. No one really listens to you so why am I even bothering?

The only valid point in your whole little whiney post is the misinformation. There is misinformation out there and it sucks but you missed one thing. Most people cuddled up to their 27" or 32" Tube TV don't care what the guy at Best Buy says. They are happy and content until someone forces them to change something and it cost them money. PLUS, you are talking about someone who works at Best Buy man. Since when were the employees very helpful at Best Buy for anything? I find myself educating them on TVs almost every time I go through that department. These people make almost nothing and we expect them to be well educated in HDTV and where it is going? NO ONE knows where HDTV is going and they certainly don't know how fast.

Unregistered guest
Um, back to latency? Not to derail the anti-Tom post, I'm gonna pull the trigger this afternoon. Sammy or Sony?

Silver Member

Post Number: 584
>> The average Joe doesn't obsess about his TV purchase <<

He never had to before now. He had better now or he is in for a rude surprise.

1. I have kids who have played Video games on my Toshiba RPCRT for the first 5 years until they went off to school. No issues there at all. Burn in is an over blown issue and scare tactic.

2. RPCRTs are being released every year, In fact Hitachi is releasing their 800 series RPCRTs in acouple months! Certainly not going away soon! They are not portable weight is a nono issue for MOST TVs in MOST environments. How often do you rewire your Home Theater to move it?

3. See above
4. Less then 20% of the households in America have HD tvs. Yet HD TVs have been around for 5 or more yers now. Those indeed are the average Joes.

5. He is a great example of an avg power TV watcher who watches for content rather then OC technological picture perfection .

6. Quality is a matter of taste. I consider 20% of primetime TV quality. Most of the HD content is just not compelling. Its unfortunate those Tvs are at their best with the little compelling HD content available today. A football game in HD is nice. But not the end all for most people IF they have to put up with the plethora of other issues and costs to see that ant on the quarterback's shoes.

&. Im not going to rag on a BMW buyer either or a Rolex buyer or any other purchase people neeed to make to feel good about themselves. I appeal to the KIA owner who is thrifty and not wasteful, has nothing to prove to anyone and or does not have money to waste to do the research and make their own choice. This technology is going to coat WAY more then he is used to....to what sit CLOSER to your TV? In the end thats what you are buying. A 19" 480i screen at 6 feet is just as clear as a 50" HD screen at 10 feet.

10 You disprove you own point. There are a lot of listens. Some agree with the message if not the messanger. There are many also like yourself who cannot bear to let my opinion stand which in itself validates it. The you have to protect and defend your choice. I could care less about the horses who left the barn.

Good for you. I'm very proud of you. you love your TV. You paid for it! Enjoy it. There are those who have NOT made that choice yet that need to know the truth as MANY see it. Not just the fan boys who are OC about a dead pixel!

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 116
Average Joes also do not spend 3000 bucks for a TV. A 57" HDCRT Hitachi can be had for ~1600 bucks. A heck of a deal if you have the space.

Devon, have you looked at the new JVC LCoS? No latency issues, and stuck pixels are less prone than the LCD models. Also, SDE is a non issue and response time is better. Samsung has struggled with the latency problem for as long as I can remember, and from what others have posted, the problem still persists.

Silver Member

Post Number: 586
The 800 series Hitachi's will be out soon as well.
I agree. Very few people in this country paid over $1000 for the TVs they have now. Why would they pay any more then they are used to?

HD is really nice but the PQ is not worth THREE or more times as much as the average 32" CRT from 10 or 12 feet away. That seems to be the screen size most Americans have along with 27."

Despite what those here are trying to make people believe the DLP and RPLCDs (and yes plasmas and LCDS) are not flying off the shelves into American living rooms. If you work at a retail store you will get that impression I'm sure. The national statistics do not bear that out yet. People are very slow to embrace new technology and rightfully so. They have been screwed in the past,

This is particularly a problem when the new technology is 3 times as expensive and the ongoing costs are 10% of the purchase price per year!!
I know of no other product outside of Printers that have that peculiarity. Even the initial price of the Quality Printer has come way down despite the high ink cost though.

The rainbow issue on the Samsungs have garnered recent posts as well. Doesn't look like Samsung is a relevant choice beyond the hype to the contrary on any front.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
HD Fanatic,

I looked into the LCoS that you are talking about this past week and when spending a lot of time on the AVS forums I found quite a few complaints about the units not working properly. I say quite a few, there was one main topic on it but I suppose there's one of those for every TV. I might go and check out the JVC tonight to see what I think.

Silver Member

Post Number: 588
But remember those "complaints" reflect a very small percentage of the entire sold base! LOL

I don't care if you are a mathmetician. When you read of issue after issue a normal non obsessed human will and should guve pause to their buying decision.

There is a very long thread of the JVC product here as well. Although AVS is the better Forum generally speaking. Not as many sales pitches.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 117
Kainan,
Was the JVC in the AVS forum that you are referring to last years model? I know that there were some issues with the 575 model, but the new models are supposed to be much improved. Also, If you read through the main JVC thread on this forum, most of the posts are about fine tuning and such. There are lots of happy owners with the JVC. Just ask Mr. Lynch. He celebrated his TV's first birthday and posted a picture of it not too long ago. LOL.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Nope, they are the latest JVC - DILA - Z/Gx86 models. I can say that for the most part I've seen complaints about the Sony in just how to set it up and people turning the Iris way down or off without many being true problems that need replacement or fixing. With the JVCs it seems most of the owners have looked at the Sony A10s but preferred the JVC over it in overall PQ. This is a tough one man. So far I feel that the Sony seems like the more reliable set but from what I read the JVC has better black levels and brighter color. It's a trade off. I'll report back if I find anything new. I'm still unsure myself as to whether I will return the A10 for an A20 or go to another store for a JVC Z/Gx86.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 118
I have always liked the PQ on the Sony, but I had three of them, and all three had issues that warranted me to return them. Mostly minor issues, but issues none the less. Stuck pixels, video blacking out 5-10 times through-out a movie, and the display info randomly popping up on the screen for no apparent reason. Buggy, is probably a more suitable term.

Those problems were with last years Sony's so I'm sure they have corrected those glitches. The only thing that would remain is the stuck/dead pixel issues. As for as comparing the two set the JVC to me has a little sharper picture on it due to the tighter pixel spacing, and they are both about equal when it comes to color saturation. Black levels are similar, although I have not had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison with the A10 or A20. The auto iris was supposed to help the Sony out, but the black levels really don't look much better to me than last years model.

The Sony that I wouldn't mind owning is the new SXRD models. They use LCoS technology, and from the professional reviews that I have read about, they deliver a phenomenal picture. They are 1080P sets to boot. However, they cost too much right now in my opinion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
HD Fanatic,

I've called Tweeter, 2 Sears stores, Best Buy (Magnolia) and Circuit City yet none of them are carrying the new JVC LCoS. This throws more doubt into the picture for me. Well, it solves it actually. I'm not going to buy a TV that I can't view. I'll take a hard look at Tweeter tomorrow when it comes to the Toshiba's and other DLPs to see if they have latency like the Samsungs do. It isn't that I'm not impressed by the picture of the new Sony LCDs but I do want to give myself every chance to make sure I have the best TV for me. I looked at a video about the halo effect from DLP and I think I can live with that minor complaint to be honest but I can't live with latency. Off to do more testing tomorrow. Darn it... LOL! The odd thing is that the JVC won't be in the mix. I'm still surprised that no one in the Dallas area is carring it. Very odd but maybe a sign to stay away for me.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 119
That sucks. The BB here sells JVC. I know CC don't. RC Willeys sells them. Is there one near you? Another option is Costco.com. They have the best return policy as well.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11067238&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=48 48&hierPath=79*4848*

Silver Member

Post Number: 592
I agree if you have to take the chance on this technology buy it from a place where you can return the TV in a few years if it proves to be unreliable.

Costco has that return policy in place of a worthless EW. You don't like the TV return it today and get another today! Besides they sell the stands with their TVs for less then the TVs alone anywhere else in town. Can't beat that deal for this questionable and seeminly unreliable technology

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Hmm.. So you are telling me you can return the TV say... 2 years later for a refund as long as you stay a member? How long does the return policy last? Lastly, what if you have a bad bulb? Do you return the TV or will they fix it by replacing the bulb? You have me curious now. I would venture to try something new if I knew I could return it without any big problems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 599
The return policy is lifetime technically. But they trust people will not abuse it and so far have not. The ONLY thing that is excepted are Computers. In that case you have 6 months to return it for a full refund or exchange as people were aparrantly trading up every year!

The way to do it correctly to save yourself some grief later is to use the Manufacturer's warranty during the first 90 days or year. The if you take the TV back to Costco three years later you can show them documentation proving "good will" that you used the authorized service first. If you feel the bulb should have lasted longer then it did. You can bring the TV back! Yes. I would if the bulb went out before the manufacturer said it should.

The ONLY way to buy these RPDLPs and LCDs are through a situation like Costco. No EW. NO risk.
IF people are fair and I think most are, That policy will continue. Costco is making bank on their TV sales. They have around 16 different tpyes and sizes of TVs on the floor. YOu can buy a Toshiba 61 (?) HM9 something for $2995 WITH the stand included. The Sony WEGA 51 is $2300 with stand.

I do not believe Costco is in the "fix it" business. You have to return the flawed product. THe lamp issue would be your choice to return it. They will take it back though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us