What do I need to do?

LynchMob42
Unregistered guest
I currently have Cox Digital Cable. Because I don't use a land phone line, I don't want to switch to satellite. My town only has one HD channel available on cable (FOX), so even with the purchase of an HD monitor, I don't want to pay more for the one HD channel.

I'm looking to buy an LCD monitor around 50". Whether there is a built-in tuner or not, how do I get the best pictures I can?

What does it take to "up-convert" SD channels from my digital cable?

Thanks

Username: Lynchmob42

Post Number: 1
What is an NTSC tuner?

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
Matt, NTSC turner is the current analog US broadcast format, PAL is the Europe/Asia format. ATSC is the HD format.

LynchMob42, you don't need a land line to use satellite except for ordering for Pay Per View. You do need a phone no. to set up an account. Satellite has much better SD picture quality than digital cable. Besides, it has many more HD channels available than your local cable co's one channel.

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 155
Actually ATSC is the OTA (Over The Air) format and doesn't necessarily indicate HD. Just like QAM is the cable format but doesn't necessarily indicate HD. See below.

The ATSC developed standards for digital television (DTV) that specify technologies for the transport, format, compression, and transmission of DTV in the U.S. ATSC DTV Standards developed, or in development currently, include digital high definition television (HDTV), standard definition television (SDTV), datacasting (the transmission of separate information streams that might allow, for example, someone watching a baseball game to choose a different camera angle, or someone watching a cooking show to view and download particular recipes), multichannel surround-sound audio, conditional access (methods, such as encryption or electronic locking systems, used to restrict service access to authorized users), and interactive services. For SDTV and HDTV, ATSC chose MPEG-2 for video and Dolby Digital for audio.

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
Kdog044 is correct. Although many stations broadcast their HD signal via the ATSC format, ASTC can carry SD signal also. But in general terms, ATSC is referred to as HD OTA standard.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us