Someone needs to invent a non-lossy video compressor

Troy Heagy
Unregistered guest
I've grown tired of seeing compression artifacts.

- I watch my Star Trek dvds, with a dark firelit scene, and I see squares floating around the screen.

- I watch Ben Hur, and I see the same thing.

- My King Arthur dvd has strange graininess to it. Plus pixelation.

DVDs are supposedly "hi-res" with 525 horizontal resolution, but I don't see it. Not when the result has visible pixelation. I still prefer my 425 res Laserdiscs and Super-VHS tapes..... they don't suffer from compression artifacts.

Now that HD-DVD/Blu-ray has arrived, I hope someone takes advantage of the 20 times increase in space, and invents a lossless codec, so we can view our movies w/o artifacts.

troy

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 228
Do you have a DLP TV, by any chance?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1336
Some DVD players make blocks. I've never seen them on the player I use, but I've seen them on others.

Anonymous

What's DLP?

I'm just using my standard NTSC/analog CRT. 27"

troy

BLdvl
Unregistered guest
Are cable cards worth the money? If so, how much
do they cost. I already have digital cable as well as the hd channels and I'm unsatisfied with
the cable box.

Troy_Heagy
Unregistered guest
Please don't hi-jack my thread, about Video Codecs.

Post your question in a separate thread.

Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1337
Probably the player. What brand is it?

Peas
Unregistered guest
Troy,

All NTSC data is essentially 525 lines but the max your TV will display is 480 lines.

Next, HDDVD and Bluray have not yet arrived, it may well be a year before they are available but certainly at least six more months.

Finally the culprit is your DVD player, not DVD's.

Peas

troy heagy
Unregistered guest
I know people say it's the fault of the Player, but I've tried multiple players (Sony PS2, JVC Player, and my PC DVD player) and they all show the same visible squares and pixelation. I think the flaw is the MPEG2 recording.

QUOTE: "All NTSC data is essentially 525 lines..."

That's the vertical. If you go back and read post #1, you'll see I was discussing *horizontal* resolution. That varies with the quality of the recording - VHS = anywhere from 120 to 240. SVS/laser = 400-425. DVD = 400-525.

And NTSC has a theoretical max (with perfect loss-free signal) of 550. Because it's an analog signal, the horizontal resolution is dependent upon the quality of the signal. It's not a fixed value.

troy

Peas
Unregistered guest
"And NTSC has a theoretical max (with perfect loss-free signal) of 550. Because it's an analog signal, the horizontal resolution is dependent upon the quality of the signal. It's not a fixed value. "

Vertical scan lines are fixed at 525 total (480 displayed), there is no analog fudge factor.

Now as far as horizontal resolution is concerned the limiting factor is generally the display, not the source.

Since you are using a 27"CRT your display cannot resolve and display all the detail anyway. Why would you think you are the only person on planet earth that has noticed these "compression artifacts"? It is not a faulty DVD format, it is one of the pieces of your equipment or cables that are at fault.

Peas'

troy heagy
Unregistered guest
QUOTE: "vertical scan lines"

There's no such thing. Scanlines run from left-to-right *horizontally*.

"Now as far as horizontal resolution is concerned the limiting factor is generally the display, not the source."

That's simply not true. I can see an obvious difference between VHS (240 lines) and S-VHS (425 lines). It's the quality of the *signal* that makes the biggest difference in analog's horizontal resolution.

troy

Gold Member

Post Number: 1345
Some JVC players are well known to produce macroblocks. What do you expect from a PS2? They are for playing games, the fact that they play DVDs is just an extra sales incentive. A PC has many variables, program, processer, etc. It's your equipment. My DVD player has seen heavy use on a high resolution TV, I've never seen blocks.

troy heagy
Unregistered guest
Yeah I suppose you're right.
I should get better equipment.
Got recommendations?

NTSC vertical = 525 lines w/ 480 visible
NTSC horizontal = Varies with the quality of the signal (see below)

VHS = anywhere from 120 to 240.
S-VHS/laserdisc = 400-425.
D-VHS/DVD = 450-525.
Theoretical maximum (lossfree signal) = 550.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1351
I use 2 JVC XV-N410B DVD players. JVC I know, but they are 12 bit processors and never show blocks, even on the first step of zoom.

Peas
Unregistered guest
QUOTE: "vertical scan lines"

There's no such thing. Scanlines run from left-to-right *horizontally*. "

God you are hardheaded!!!

If you stack 525 scan lines one above another and count them vertically you will have 525 scan lines!!! Many people make this mistake but most figure it out without putting in in print and looking like a goose.

Peas
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us