Ghost in my Cable Modem or maybe not

Username: Tojojohnson

Post Number: 1
I badly need some help to fix my high speed internet through cable (comcast). I have a 3 way splitter(X) on my incoming line in the living room. First one(X1) is going to the tv. Second one(X2) is going to the cable modem in my living room. Third one(X3) is going to the guest bedroom where it is further split into two using a two-way splitter(Y). One(Y1) for the same room and the other(Y2) for the master bedroom. But, none of the bedroom ones are connected to anything. With this configuration, the cable modem seems to work fine.

But, interestingly, modem stops working when I reconnect the cable modem to one of the other 2 ports(i.e. other than X2 port) in the initial 3-way splitter(X). I looked at the splitter closely, I found that the cable modem works only with that one port(X2) that is marked 3dB (the others are 7dB).

I wanted to move my modem to the master bedroom. So, I connected the cable that goes through the guestroom to the 3dB port(X2) in the initial 3-way splitter(X) and connected the cable modem in my bedroom. And, it works !!! But, the modem in the master bedroom stops working as soon as I use one of the other ports in the initial 3-way splitter (X) to connect the TV.

I tried putting a radioshack's bi-directional cable amplifier at the entry, but, no luck. The 4 ports in the amplifier are all mark 7dB.

Can someone please please help me how to resolve this so that I can put the modem in the master bedroom?

Also, the picture quality is bad for some of the channels. For the rest, its OK nothing is good. The comcast guy could not figure it out at all. He just connected it all at incoming line and left me to figure it out

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 226
the best way I could recommend for you to configure your wiring would be to start at the main entry wire. Take a two-way splitter or if you can find a DC6 (Direct Coupler with a tap leg that decreases cable signal by 6 dB)connect the main wire to the input of the two-way, run a dedicated line to your modem from one output of the two-way (or the tap leg of the DC6)to your modem. The other ouput of your two-way (or the through-put of the DC6) to your 3 way splitter. Anything after the initial two-way or DC6 is after the fact and won't be a part of the modem connection.
The fact that when you connect the modem to the -7 ports on your splitter indicates you might not have enough signal level to support that drop in level, so I would highly recommend you call the cable company and have them come check your signal strength.

Best of luck

phart buster
Unregistered guest
Have you tried calling the Exorcist?

Post Number: 2
Thanks CableGuy. I will give that a try and I will try to call comcast as well. So, am I right in saying that the amplifiers wont help. Also, can you please let me know where I can get the DC6? Also, I have heard someone say that I should close open ends. Do you know how I can do that? And where I can get that as well.

Thanks again.

Post Number: 3
Exorcist...you mean comcast...I sure will be calling. But, they didn't help when they installed it.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 228
Tojo,
I'm not sure if your cable company provides DC6's, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them. Again not all cable company's use the same type of equipment, so if they don't have it: go with the two-way splitter option.
Yes terminating open lines helps keep noise out of the cable, not to mention plugs leaks in the system. If you aren't actively using an outlet DONT CONNECT IT. This also will help you cut down on excessive signal loss by removing un-needed splitters from your house wiring. There are two ways to deal with open connections: 1)Don't connect it. 2) have them put a 75ohm terminator on the open connection (them being the cable company tech).
You could check around at places like Radio Shack for a DC6, it resembles a T-split the top left of the T is the input, the vertical part is the tap leg, -6dB, and the top right of the T is the through put. The bad thing is, you shouldn't have to do anything. You pay your bill, let the cable company fix your problem. Keep us posted
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us