Hooking Up to DirecTV box?

Username: Rhallva

Post Number: 2
I tried to post this in the Satellite area but it did not seem to work, so I would appreciate any replies I can get here.

I am buying (I think) a Samsung HLR4667 and have decided to wait for the prices of the
HD-DirecTV/TiVo recievers to come down some. Since I have regular DirectTV now that leaves me hooking up my new HDTV to the old DirecTV box. This box does not have HDMI or DVI outputs. It has regular RF, RCA Audio (L &R) and RCA Video,
and an S-Video output. What would be the best thing to do? What kind of performance am I likely to get using this configuration rather than upgrading my DirecTV equipment right away?

Secondly- I have heard and read that I do not need to upgrade my Dish for HD reception (it is a round 18" with Dual LNB) and I have read that I do have to change to an oval multi-something dish. What is the real info on this?

Thanks again for all your helpful info!
R

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 117
Use the S-Video. It's better than RCA.

You're going to need a three LNB 18x20 dish.
Here's the lowest price I can find.

http://www.wholesalebyus.com/shopping/V2ViewProduct.aspx?Ref=PriceGrabber&Produc tID=5796

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 118
Oh yea, get yourself an inexpensive uhf antenna to feed off-air to your ATSC tuner for free digital networks and free HD sporting events and HD primetime shows.

Bronze Member
Username: Deegan

Post Number: 16
Something you should be aware of if you are thinking of buying a HD-Directivo box. This fall, TiVo will be adding dozens (they claims hundreds) of HD channels throughout their lineup. These new channels come from two recently launched satellites.

Here's the rub: The new satellites will be broadcasting ALL of Directv's HD content in MPEG-4. All current TiVo boxes record MPEG-3. The two standards are not compatible.

What this means is any HD-TiVo boxes bought this summer will not work once Directv bring their new content online.

I called Directv to confirm this ugly rumor. The support staff said, "yes" the new satellites are releasing a new standard which will not be compatible with the old standard. I asked if Directv will replace old boxes free of charge for existing customers. The support staff told me "historically" that has been done but they have not received official word regarding that policy and did not know what will officially happen. NOTE: I called twice, got two different reps, they both told me the same thing.

So, what that means to me is I'm holding off right now. I currently get all my HD content via OTA (over the air) antenna however, after being a TiVo addict for the last 3+ years, hard not to be able to record shows. To cure my situation, I may end up paying for Comcast (and a PVR) until Directv release their new content, release the new recorders, and get things settled down (can you say Christmas?).

Hope this info helps out.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 119
Why Comcast?

What's wrong with a standard DVR?

I'm not big on recording. Just curious.

Post Number: 3
FYI- Thanks for all your help! You wrote:
"You're going to need a three LNB 18x20 dish."

Does this mean I need one to use a DLP HDTV at all or just when I upgrade to the HD DirecTV Reciever? Is it possible to use my new TV with my current dish and old DTV box with decent viewing results?

Thanks again!
R

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 120
Sure!

Your current stuff will display the regular Direct TV programming as good as the HD setup will, even through the S-Video cable. You just won't be watching Bikini Destinations on HDNet every Monday night on "Guys Night In". You might miss a few Miss Hawaian Tropic contests and a first run concert or two, but no big deal.
HD Discovery's "10 Best Beaches in the World" will probably run again. You will have something to look forward to.

I like my Samsung SIR TS360 Direct TV HD receiver, but it's not a DVR or anything. I think it's a step better than any Hughes H10 or other brand. It combines your off-air and the Direct TV programming into one guide and a single output.
No switching between different inputs.

Here's the lowest price I found.

http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/product_info/overview/index__cat_id--11740000 ,prod_id--11513020.html

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 121
Don't pay too much for that HL-R4667W!
I think the 3 year extended warranty is a steal!

[link removed]

Post Number: 4
FYI- Thanks again!

I am not sure about the online seller. Their website makes itsound like even if the TV is DOA out of the box they will not let me return it. Seems like an iffy policy, esp since there does not seem to be a way to talk to a human about your problem. These things get me out of my comfort zone a bit.

The warranty seems too good to be true to me! If what I have heard is true about bulb life and bulb replacement cost then they would lose $ on every single warranty they sold on these TV's. Since I cannot imagine they would be willing to do that, it leads me to think that either the warranty does not cover all I think it does, or the bulbs last 4 years and up more frequently than I have been led to believe. I am not saying they are dishonest in any way, just that since the numbers don't seem to work out there must be something I don't understand about the warranty and/or the cost and frequency of repairs.

Thanks again for all your info!
R

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 124
I had a perfect experience with them!

You are correct. There is no 30 day return policy with any online warehouse retailer due to shipping charges. However, I saved over $1000 on my P5063 last year.

The extended warranty is a great value, but it doesn't cover lamps nor does anybody elses. There are seperate lamp warranties.

A brick and morter store will tell you to call the Samsung Factory Warranty folks after the first 30 days anyway. At Samsung, they are human, unlike some people I've dealt with in stores. It's Samsung that covers you the first year and their service is excellent. The "Mack" warranty extends the factory warrany. The same Samsung authorized service shop will continue your service through the extended 3 year period.

If you want to pay more for the pretty store and it's overhead plus the sales commission, it's your money. Others pay more than they should every day!

Digital 1234 is considered one of the best with 605 reviews.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=7785916& isbn=&pid=
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us