PS2 and HDTV. Need help!

Username: Cyrilds

QC Canada

Post Number: 1
I received my new HDTV about 2 days ago.(Toshiba 30hf83)

I bought the component cable(the Sony ones) for my PS2. While you can see a big difference in the picture quality compare to my old A/V cable(looks clear and sharp) as expected, the picture is all pixelated and I can see some vertical lines moving along with the picture.

Now I knew before buying the component cable that praticly no PS2 games(like 99% of them) supported progressive scan. I thought the component cable would still make a big difference with the normal games, which it did, but I really didn't thought it would look pixelated like that and have these kind of problems.

Is it something I need to adjust with my TV(even tho I praticly tried everything) or is it simply because the games don't support progressive scan.
I also tried to watch a DVD movie(with my PS2) and the picture quality is pretty bad.

With that said, should I bring back the cables and exchange them with S-Video cables instead?

Thanks a lot for your help and nice meeting you all.

Anonymous

turn on PS2 without disc in.

turn on 16x9 option.

turn on progressive scan option.

Presto! That should fix your problem.

Username: Jerkieman

Post Number: 3
Not all PS2 models support the progessive scanning option. You need to have the Sony PS2 model number SCPH-50001, that is the only model that will have the progessive scan option that you can enable. The problem is that there are like 6 PS2 games that support progessive scanning, so even if you do turn on the option its not going to do anything for you with 99% of the games out there, it will help with DVD playback though.

Username: Cyrilds

QC Canada

Post Number: 2
I have the old SCPH-30001 model. =(

So even if the games don't support progressive scan, do you think I would still have this problem if I had the progressive scan option turned on on a newer model?

Do you think it would be best if I use S-Video cable instead of the component one since I have an older model?

that dude
Unregistered guest
NO! s-video cables are inferior to component. keep your component cables. check your t.v.'s resolution. remember, you were probably used to seeing ps2 and dvd's on a smaller screen. and don't view your dvd and ps2 from a close distance!
forget about tweaking your t.v. settings, resolution is the key to a high pixelated image.
some hdtv's are not really hdtv, but edtv (enhanced def tv). which only support 480i 480p and not great res.

ranger
Unregistered guest
the old PS2 can run games that are progressive scan, for example, Prince of Persia, SOCOM II to mention a few, have a progressive scan option within game and as along as you have an HDTV, the HDTV will recognize the progressive scan signal (most often at 480P) from the PS2 enabled game, again even with a SCHPH-3001 model. I know it works since I have done it at home with those 2 games and I have an older PS2 model and I verified the HDTV signal after doing what I indicated above and it listed the progressive scan signal as activated at 480P.

ranger
Unregistered guest
one additional note...the older PS2 models run games in progressive scan if they have such option, but will not run DVD movies at progressive scan; only the new PS2 model will do that.

ISOHaven
Unregistered guest
ranger is correct. I'm so sick of people blatantly stating the older PS2 do not support progressive scan. It took an email to Sony to get my head straightened out on this issue. ALL PS2's support IN GAME progressive scan.

The v9 and v10 PS2 now support DVD MOVIE progressive scan where as the older PS2 do not.

If the older PS2's did not support progressive scan then why where games created 2 years ago with progressive scan options? Why when you turn on progressive scan without a progressive scan TV did the picture go away? Because THEY ALL support progressive scan that's why. </rant>

Bronze Member
Username: Jrest

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 64
Ranger and ISOHaven are correct. All PS2's (be it new ones or ones released at launch) support progressive mode. Most games that support progressive mode, may not have an option in the game that makes it simple. For example, MVP2004, it has the progressive mode option but you have to hold the triangle and "X" button, while the game loads. You won't find the instructions in the book though nor is there an easy to find setup in the game menu.

Reca
Unregistered guest
what about socom2? how do i use progressive scan with my old ps2 on socom?

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 133
maybe its time to get an xbox. :-)

Jacko87976
Unregistered guest
I have ESPN NFL 2K5 and when I turn on the progressive scan, my TV screen goes black. My TV is an HDTV - so what's the problem?

Unregistered guest
I have a sony grand wega. and I just bought the monster component cables, and i cant get any kind of picture. my hookups in my tv say y pb pr & my component cables say y cb cr. if i plug cb into y i get a jumbled signal, and also if i plug cr into y. but if i hook y to y and cb to pb and cr to pr, i get nothing. I have put my playstation on cb/cr pb/pr out put and have put the resolution on 16x9. am i just doing something wrong. please help

Username: Daddiephatsac

Usa

hmm, I had the older model ps2 and traded it in at my local gamestop for the newer flat ps2 to hopefully get madden to work in hdtv, my luck it didnt work at all and it sucked..so I guess madden is not progressive scan? I am switching to xbox on tuesday when the holiday bundle comes out and getting xbox component cables to rock my gaming experience..too bad ps2 doesnt realize that a lot of gamers want hdtv games.. had anyone else had this problem, I think when I played socom II it cleared up when I used the progressive option, not for sure though since I didnt switch back to the av cables..who knows. Xbox here I come.

pogorat
Unregistered guest
anyone familiar with using PS2 to VGA component cable for connection to digital projector? i wanna use this for progessive scan on dvd's with my 5001. i should not that the projector supports HD signal. i'm hoping this will work with some direct cable - i don't wanna spend $70 on some transcoder box.

thoughts?

GTA ROCKS
Unregistered guest
Maybe its because you have projection hdtvs or plasma tvs. Those tvs arent made for gaming. Get a LCD hdtv or some other kind of hdtv.

Anonymous

hey i just got a benq PB62000 that supports video games, and HDTV there is an comosite, s-video, and a vga moniter input (it says PC/HDTV). Is there any HDTV cables that i can but for my PS2? or should i just use S-Video. Is it really worth the money if i have Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Medal Of Honor: Frontline, Socom 1, NCAA Football 2005? and i have the new ps2 model if it matters

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 152
does ps2 support HD. i didnt think it did.

BiggieFries
Unregistered guest
Yes PS2 supports HD and Xbox fakes it past 480p with it's connexant decoder chip.

MVP2004
Burnout 3
Tekken 4
Socom II
Ratchet and Clank I, II, and III
Jak and Daxter II, and III

Are a few games on PS2 that support Pro Scan.
There are many more and over half of them that support it don't say so in the manual such as Burnout 3.

Unregistered guest
Hi all, We just bought 4 PS2 (new type) consoles for a children's hospital, could some one recommend a compatible monitor for them, PLEASE

Unregistered guest
I want to buy an HDTV. Please give specifications of a minimum cost HDTV by Sony or Samsung. Are LG having HDs as well ?
I have got Mortal Kombat : Deception for the PS2. Please can anyone tell that it actually gets awesome with the progressive scan ?

jasonl
Unregistered guest
Here goes..........New to hometheator but learning a few things!

1. Some HDTV like plasma and such are fixed pixels. if you pump 1080i signal to a 720p tv something funny is going to happen. Both unit needs to be on the same playing field.

2. The sony XBR HD "tube" TV is consider a variable pixel tv. PROS= You can switch res for more compatibility. CONS= if your using most DVD player w/ DVI out, the pic will not be turely superior as fixed pixel plasma.

3. To ensure full compatibility, Sony TV might be your only option.

4. On most games, the component output of PS2 is very impressive. Composit and S-video shouldnt even be considered (in my opinion).

I think!.......hope that helps.......

SlimPS2forHDTV
Unregistered guest
I would like to know if the resolution of the new slim PS2 is the same as the older PS2 versions. I have the older versions with component cable connected to the Sony XBR HDTV. Great image but it is not a 1080i. I imagine most games were designed to be 480i at the most but still I would like to know if the slim PS2 can produce a higher resolution than the older PS2 versions. If Sony didn't make the slim PS2 with high resolution they better really consider giving PS3 the HDTV 1080i resolution if they want to keep future customers.

pitu924
Unregistered guest
Where do i buy component ps2 cables from. What should i pay. Cus i have seen them online and some are around $10-$15 then there are that are MONSTER which are over $50. which one and where

pitu924
Unregistered guest
Where do i buy component ps2 cables from. What should i pay. Cus i have seen them online and some are around $10-$15 then there are that are MONSTER which are over $50. which one and where

MikeMC
Unregistered guest
You can buy component cables at best buy, comp usa, and circuit city. You will pay at least 50 dollars. I think I found mine for 54. It is worth it....big difference. My "c" looks like a "c" instead of an "o".

SlimPS2forHDTV
Unregistered guest
If you have to ask a thread how much you should spend on something like cables then you are a penny pincher and you should not spend any more than you have to spend. You get what you pay for! There is a reason Monster cables are so expensive. It is because they deliver better quality everything than your standard cable. DUH, even though some would have other believe everyone is equal it simply is not true! Woman is not equal with the Man and Standard cable is not equal to Monster Cable! Pitu924, save your money just like the women do and buy yourself the brand new PS2 made component cable at Circuit city for $23.00. If this is too much money just use the cable that came with your PS2. For all that don't know it Component Cable, no matter how good a cable it is, it will still only deliver an analog signal. I pray that Sony puts real HDTV technology such as the HDMI cable that will deliver true digital signal to our HDTV. It is the future, HDTV was made for a digital signal and I hope to see HDMI in the PS3. By the why Pitu924 the cheap HDMI cable runs currently around $100.00

Anonymous

Maybe I missed it. But no one answered the black out problem. I got the same problem going on. I bought some Sony RGB cables and everytime I switch my PS2 settings to RGB video out, It goes black.

I read earlier about setting my screen to 16x9 then turn on my progressive option. Well my PS2 is fairly new, but I still can't find that progressive setting when I start up my PS2. I can only access after I start watching a DVD, so I know the options on there, I just can't access it for my PS2 games. Am I missing something?

Unregistered guest
Bump, I'm with you ^. I hook up my component cables to the HD inputs on my TV, and I get a scrolling image. Tried changing ps2 to RGB and x/x/x output and neither works.

Even w/ a movie it still does it. During playing a movie yesterday I went to the "in movie" menu and it wouldn't let me turn progressive scan on for the movie either. I'm at a loss here. . . .

Username: Russellkeys

United States

One warning. I purchased the Monster component cables to get the best picture. Sure enough the video compared to the composite and the S Video connections I had tried before was awsome. I have had these cables for about a year. Now my color gets off and if I wiggle the cable where it connects in the back of the PS2 I can get it to clear up, but if it gets moved the least bit it messes up again. The connection from the Monster cable does not seem to fit the slot in the back of the PS2 as well as the original Sony cable. If you decide to go with any cables other than Sony's cables and run into a problem do not tell Sony you were not using their cables. When I contacted Sony to find out what steps to take to get my PS2 repaired they informed me this voids the warranty and even increases repair cost of out of warranty units. The minimum price to fix this if all they have to do is repair video input is going to be $89, and will take app. 3-4 weeks to repair and return. For another $30-$40 I can buy a brand new PS2 and have it tomorrow. Whichever I do I am going to use Sony component cables from now on. I really feel the sloppy way the monster cable fits in the slot is what damaged the connection

loganmoore
Unregistered guest
Hello. i put a regular dvd in my playstation 2 and it says please insert a playstation2 disc. how can i fix that?

Peas
Unregistered guest
Insert a Playstation 2 disc.

Hope this helps,

Peas

Username: The_nerdly_guy

Post Number: 6
Technically the PS2 does not support progressive scan for games, only for DVD playback.

Nonetheless, there have been a few game publishers that have figured out a way to get the progressive feature to work for games. In fact, Gran Turismo 4 pushed it a bit further and got the PS2 to output 1080i through the component jack.

mrwampire
Unregistered guest
Not sure how true this is anymore, but when I used to work at B Buy, we found out that Monster brand cables were pretty much junk. With their so called "high end RCA" cables, they just repackaged cheap RCA wires like the ones you get with free in the box in their custom housing and sold them at 5 to 10 times the price.

Obviously stepping up from the weak red, white, yellow cables to S-video or component is going to be a big improvement, but unless someone like Tara Labs starts making high end game system cables, just find the cheapest ones you can. Save your cash, as long as its a component cable or S-video, you will be fine, no matter what you pay.

robotbreeder
Unregistered guest
Component(3 wires) cables are far superior to composite (one wire) because of the way the data is sent. It's not because they're 'Monster' cables, or because they're $50, it's because of the way the signal is transmitted.

At the end of the day... it's just copper wire. Really cheap wires are often lame and have crap shielding, but most mid level and up are just as good as the really expensive ones minus the fancy connectors. You can use 3 composite cables and plug them into all three composite slots on either end of a tv / dvd and it works great.

A while back, this guy challenged a number of speaker cable companies to an audio shoot out. He had some 'special' cables that he said would outperform the respected best audio cables ever made (we're talking $6000+ speaker cables). He only agreed to show the cables once the tests were done.

After the reviews, his cables either won or tied for first place, depending on the judges.

Then he revaled the cost of his cabes. $8 each.

People gasped.

What were they? Used SCSI printer cables. 68 pin, half wired hot, half wired cold. SCSI cables are made from good oxygen free copper..

Don't believe the hype!

Oh and, the reason the ps2 has so few HDTV games is because it HDTV required 4x the texture buffer size - which the ps2 is pretty limited in - and while it would look sharper, there would be less room left over for textures or effects.

anonomoose
Unregistered guest
with a PS2 your output diff is going to be negligable with EDTVs or HDTVs (may even look better on EDTV cuz of this) cable types, whatever. The bottleneck is in th system + game output, not in the way you are displaying it. There's not a lot you can do but wait for next gen consoles for a BIG improvement.

Hornbeak
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung 51 in DLP tv. With 3 component outlets, but my problem it only works in the Com 1 port. The PS 2 is th 30001 (i think) any ideas. I have tried moving my dvd to Com 2 or 3 and that didn't work. ANy ideas

Unregistered guest
I JUST BOUGHT A HDTV WITH THE BLUE GREEN WHITE RED ETC. WIRES FOR MY PS2 BUT WHEN I PLAY MY DVDS THE MESSAGE " THE OPTION YOU HAVE SELECTED CAN NOT BE PREFORMED" AND KEEPS POPPING UP AND INTERFERES WITH THE LOADING OF THE DVD. IT DOES THIS FOR A WHILE THEN THE TV GOES TO THE SEARCHING FOR SIGNAL SCREEN. i HAVE THE PS2 ON THE COMPONANT 1 CHANNEL. pLEASE HELP THATNKS

Ncik
Unregistered guest
Some TV's don't support a 480i signal through the HD component jacks, if you try to start the PS with it hooked up to them, you will get a scrambled screen or no signal, you have too hook it up to the regular video inputs, then start the game, switch it to pro-scan, then hook up the component cable to the HD input and switch over, likewise if you turn progressive scan on, and it is not hooked to your HD inputs it will not display.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us