PIP question with component video

RB
Unregistered guest
Have a 46" Sony Projection and have Insight HDTV DVR box. Question. Cable comes into box and then run component video out to the TV. When trying to do PIP, you can't get two signals off the component like you do just the RF. Tried to split the signal and run one end into the cable box and one into the back of the TV, would have worked, but didn't get any signal out of the box. The Menu showed up, but could not receive any channels, signal too weak. Any other way to accomplish PIP with component video? Can you split a component signal and put it to two different componenet inputs in the back? Seems that PIP is rendered useless with the component cables, but you need them for HDTV, yes?

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 209
One would have to question why your cable signal is so low that you can't split it with a two-way splitter and still get a picture.

Take cable from wall, into two-way splitter
One output of splitter goes to the TV RF cable input, the other output goes to the input on the STB.

If this was how you did it and didn't get a picture anymore, I'd be calling the cable co and have them check your signal levels. You should also hook up a composite video feed to your TV and see if the composite input works with the TV tuner. If you split the component output from the STB, you'll only accomplish having two of the same pictures up side by side, no point in going there.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 914
Cableguy is absolutely right. Unless your box is designed to provide separate channels in PIP via component out, you can not create it even if your tv is PIP capable.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 211
thanks Dale, always nice to know someone is watching my back...Do you find it strange he lost picture just by hooking up a two-way (if that's what he used)? Average signal loss on a two-way is -4.5 dBmV can't see the signal level being that low that 4.5 makes or breaks signal

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 920
I agree that is unusual.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us