Is This Too Good To Be For Real?

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 21
I found an Samsung HL-R5067 today for $1670 plus $149 delivery. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B0009EXVNA

Every place else wants at least $2100, so I am very leary. It says that it's brand new. I have never ordered anything like this over the internet, and I'm kind of worried. They do not have a very good return policy I did notice that.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 22
Never mind. I tried to call the place and the number is disconnected. Not a good sign. If something seems too good to be true, it usually is. I got so excited I was ready to buy the damn thing.

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 72
Here is what I found!

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=7752057& isbn=&pid=

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 23
With delivery it comes to over $2100 which is what I thought. Has anybody ever used any of these places? Looks like Abe's of Maine gets good reviews and has one of the best prices. I have seen that name come up on several searches.

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 179
abes of maine has good prices but they make it up with shipping costs.

Username: Rhallva

Post Number: 9
While Circuit City does not claim to match prices for internet sites (they do match other stores like Best Buys and the like) I found them willing to compromise with me. With them knowing I could get the Samsung 4667 for about $1950 (including shipping) they came down from their sale price of $2299 (reg price $2499) by another $200. So I paid $2099 plus tax instead of the $1950 I saw online. Some might say that was a waste and that may be valid for some, since we are all different. But for me I bought something with the extra $- I bought these things:
1- I got to take it home with me (rather than schedule to meet a freight truck a week or more later) They offered to deliver it to my house that evening if it had not fit into my wife's mini-van .. but it fit nicely.
2- If something is wrong with the TV (though there was not thus far) it can go back to CC for replacement for the first 30 Days. They would send a new one to my house and pick up the bad one at no cost to me. (With the online places most of them specifically state that you may not for any reason return the TV to them.... period!!) If there is a problem even the day it arrives you have to call Samsung to work it out with them. The seller takes no responsibility at all... not even 30 minutes, much less 30 days!
3) If I decide to go with the CC warranty it is $199 for 2 years and it covers as many bulbs as I can burn out in that time. I have not taken the warranty as of yet, but I can add it anytime through the first 30 days.
4) If something goes wrong I can call them ... I can go see them. They are a Samsung authorized repair facility and they handle all their own repairs. I am simply more comfortable with that way of doing business.

I would not have paid the full CC price, but since they were willing to deal with me it became a sale for them and a comfortable purchase for me.

Best of luck with your purchase!
R

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 38
I'm with you on that one Roy! I should have bought one when I bought my daughters over the 4th of July weekend from Sears. I got them to match CC's price and then they knocked off another 10% for opening a Sears Charge. I got a TV that was priced at $699 for $594 including tax.

I am very reluctant to deal with these e-tailers. I just saw one on amazon.com that said the were selling the HL-R5067 for $900. I e-mailed them just to see what they would say. If anybody is interested I'll let you know how they respond.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 39
They responded to my e-mail and said "Yes , we have this TV for 900 USD". Like I said before, if something seems too good to be true, it's probably too good to be true.

Anonymous

You should provide a link to add credibility to your statements.

Here are my search results of the HL-R5067 on Amazon.com for all to check.

Samsung HL-R5067W 50 DLP HD-Ready Projection TV with Digital Cable Ready Tuner
Electronics: See this item (Rate this item)
Buy new: Click for price Used & new from $2,094.99 Usually ships in 24 hours

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/002-0432461-3163255

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 40
I did provide the link, but when you reopen it, you will see the latest prices. Right now the best price is $2,094.99, but last night it was $900. It's gone now. If you use the link I put in my first post to start this thread, you will see a spot that says "XX used & new from $x,xxx.xx". Last night that said "10 used and new from $900.00". Right the same link says "8 used and new from $2,094.99".

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 43
Right now if you click on that link you will see the lowest price to be $1460.00. Sorry, but I am just trying to add credibility to my statements.

Anonymous

Sorry, but it still says $2094.99 on both your link and my link.

I think I'll check it from time to time, though.
I'm sure you have no reason to misrepresent.

I once saw the HLR6768 on a site for $4495.
I knew that was a misprint. It was gone the next day.
The best price I've seen since is $5299.

JB10
Unregistered guest
<<<3)>>>

Be very careful with this. Mainly because I work at CC and on our city advantage handout it says "original bulb replacement". I take it as a legal loophole that would allow them to do only 1 and claim that to be the original. Just a heads up.

Username: Kkcc

Kansas

Post Number: 2
It doesn't matter what type of product you buy...online will generally be less. This has to do with paying employees a salary. Although I have also ran into prices being cheaper, but with freight, it can be more. I have ordered some items online, but for the big ticket stuff I stay local. I'd rather pay a little more and get service if I ever needed it. I'm sure that with my hubby as a salesman along with myself..I'm also a tad jaded. :')

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 45
Just for kicks I checkout the amazon.com website again and they now have it for $550.00. I copied it this time so you can see I'm not kidding?

See below:

Always pay through Amazon.com's Shopping Cart or 1-Click
Your purchase will be protected by the A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee. Never respond to requests to send funds via wire transfer. Learn more about Safe Online Shopping.

Price Condition Seller Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$550.00
New Seller: amazonline@gmail.com (Safe buying guarantee)
Rating: 5.0 stars over the past twelve months (6 ratings). Seller has 6 lifetime ratings.
Availability: Item usually ships in 1-2 business days; Ships from IL, United States.
See shipping rates

Comments: Brand new Sign in to turn on 1-Click ordering.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$599.00
New Seller: barymad (Safe buying guarantee)
Rating: 4.8 stars over the past twelve months (540 ratings). Seller has 585 lifetime ratings.
Availability: Item usually ships in 1-2 business days; Ships from MD, United States; Expedited shipping available.
See shipping rates

Comments: CONTACT ME FOR A GOOD DEAL Sign in to turn on 1-Click ordering.

$800.00
New Seller: dbcklein (Safe buying guarantee)
Rating: 4.8 stars over lifetime (6 ratings).
Availability: Item usually ships in 1-2 business days; Ships from MN, United States.
See shipping rates

Comments: Samsung HL-R5067W 50 DLP HD-Ready Projection TV with Digital Cable Ready Tuner Sign in to turn on 1-Click ordering.

Anonymous

Ah...ha!

I see it!

Incredible.....incredibly false!!!

Do you think it's the one that fell off the truck?
Maybe it's the one that was hit by the truck! LOL

A scam, no doubt!

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 46
I got an e-mail response back on the one that was there for $900. They are foreign people that can not even respond with decent English. Every other word was spelled wrong, the grammar was terrible and it was hard to tell what they were even trying to say, but they said they had it for $900 and also gave a two year international waranty. I never even responded.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 47
By the way the real cheap ones are gone now and the cheapest is back to $2,094. I think this really hurts the credibility of amazon.com.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 56
Looks like the price is starting to drop on the HL-R5067. The place on amazon.com that had it for 2094.99 now has it for 1950.99 ($144 less) and the lowest price on pricegrabber.com is now 2054.90 delivered. Who knows maybe I will have one before football season starts.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 64
Anyone ever use 42nd Street Photo? They have it for $1712 delivered.

http://www.42photo.com/productdetail.asp?level=958&catid=959&productid=13139

Samsung HL-R5067W 50" DLP Projection TV

Regular Price:
$1,999.99
Our Price: $1,659.95
You Save: $340.04 (17%)

In Stock.Usually ships in 1-2 days

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 198
And its not worth even that much.....

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 65
Oh yeah that's right I should buy the outdated technology of the RP CRT. I don't need you talking sh!t on what I'm going to buy! Go away, please.

chett1t
Unregistered guest
what is the problem with RP LCD?

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/137540.html

Try that thread. Same issue with all the fixed pixel displays, reliability, bulb cost..(would you buy a $20,000 car that needed a $2000 brake job every year or two?) Standard TV looks horrible., Not enough HD content available, HAVE to buy a normally useless EW increasing entrance costs and they are obsol;ete before you take them home as the technology is still being "fixed" (not imporved). CRT technology has been improved over the past 30 years or more.

DLPs and LCDs still use CRT PQ as a reference. TV stations replace bad CRTS with....yep NEW CRTS and they can buy anything....ITs only the young and gullable who would state CRT is outdated becasue they do not understand the economics of the manufacturers who are SHOVING the new technology down their ignorant little throats because its much less expensive to "print" out a FP display in the long run then abuild a CRT.

TimJE
Unregistered guest
What are you talking about, Mr. Bong? First of all, there is plenty of content available and even more will be when HDDVD is released end of year. High tech stuff is always going "obsolete". Do you still use your IBM 286? Noone says you HAVE to buy a service plan.

DLPs and LCDs have never used CRT as a reference. They use contrast ratio for brightness and chromaticity gamuts for color depth. And most compare against PLASMA for their brightness not dumb CRTs. I don't think CRTs are outdated, just inferior. As for you, definitely outdated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
Content lets see 200 channels maybe 6 HD and a few networks broadcasting HEDTV. 480P DVDs...hmmmmm YEah there alot of content. HDDVD is a pipe dream that will not replace current DVDS in Block BUster like VHS. It will go the way of Audio SACD which is hardly a mainstream product.

Only for the self annointed "Videophile" who will glaze over with so much amazement of the PQ that the actual content will become irrelavant! I have read of that affinity here!

Contrast Ratios? Ah a spec buyer. Exactly what the manufacturers want. Just like the "THD" audio buyers. OH and THX Another scoop of the gullable "philetype" coin....Yeah George loves your money too!!!

A TV as ALL throught its history should show ALL input content equally. But NO Today HD looks great SD looks bad....Xbox looks so so, 720p not bad,1080P better (theoretically) Its a JOKE and the joke is on the gullable consumers.

YOur 286 anaogy is exactly the kind of ignorance SAMSUNG loves!!! The P-4 is better in EVERY way not great on graphics but so so on spreadsheets...nope 286s were much better on spreadsheets....Give me a break. YOU are the gullable consumer spoon fed specs as if they really have real world meaning, CAn you "see 10,000-1 contrast ratio? LEt me answer for you before you make a fool out of your self.....NOOOOOO IF you set your TV for that ratio the picture would look terrible!!! LOL

CRT is not obsolete. When NBC,CBS Broadcast centers And until ALL the broadcaster centers start replacing their dead CRTS with FP displays I will not believe they are inferior. Nope. Until the content makers and broadcasters stop referencing their signals on CRTs I will not accept they are prehistoric or DUMB(?) as you describe.

I have said if YOU HAVE to have a fixed pixel TV Plasma is the best bet. No bulbs. Great blacks, colors and longevity.

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
Don't believe tom bong!
He's a ranting repetative idiot.

I'm not sure why he keeps repeating false information. It seems more like a self affirmation of his own propaganda.

He acts like he's on some kind of self appointed mission to save us from technology advances.

What a total moron!

Buy what you want, when you want it.

TimJE
Unregistered guest
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/displaytechnologiesguide8.php

Hmmm. I especially like what paragraph 4 says. Also, look at the chart. Contrast ratios and radiance measurements show that newer DLP televisions outperform plasma! RPCRTs have contrast ratios of 5000:1 while newer DLPs are 10000:1. And yes I look at contrast ratios and radiance measurements. There is a difference to me. I deal with military based light measurement and there is a big difference.

You call the 200+ channels you get on cable content? Maybe if you prefer quantity programming to quality programming. Blockbuster? Have you been there lately, man? They are going out. Just a matter of time. And I don't recall metioning anything about DVDs...

I did not say CRT is obsolete. Just going obsolete. I said they were inferior, which is true.

Could you rewrite your argument for the 286? Your English is so bad I can't understand what you are trying to say.

The way I see it, your only argument that you can stand on is the lamp replacement argument.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us