Watching HDTV 16:9 ratio

Username: Zonk1972

Post Number: 9
I have a Sony 50" LCD TV 50we655 and have it hooked up to Comcast cable. I was watching ESPN-HD and it looked good on 'full' setting. I watched baseball on Comcast-HD and everyone was stretched. I changed all the TV settings and 'normal' had bars on side. I thought that all HDTV transmissions were in 16:9. How do I set it so it looks good? The manual really does not specify. HELP.

fx
Unregistered guest
I thought that all HDTV transmissions were in 16:9.

And you were correct in thinking in this manner.

But what you failed to consider is that not all programming broadcast on an HD channel is in High Definition.

xvxvxvx

Username: Zonk1972

Post Number: 10
OK, then the baseball game on Comcast HD was not on HD broadcast? That would answer the bad reception. But, even the High Definition broadcasts on 'normal' mode have bars on sides on my Sony. I guess I am really confused now. I thought that 'normal' mode on an HD broadcast should automatically be set to fit screen.

HD Guy
Unregistered guest
fx is right. HD programs and HD broadcast are 2 different things. Some of the programs you see in the HD channels may not be HD programs at all. For example, when you watch CSI in CBS-HD, we would see a 16x9 picture but when it cuts to commercials, it goes to the 4x3 mode. Programs in ESPN-HD are not always HD programs. Sometimes it puts color bars on the sides to reduce the burnt-in effect.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us