Samsung DLP HL-R 4667W or HL-R 4677W

Username: Chadnew

Post Number: 1
Can someone tell me why the 77 is more expensive? The 67 seems to have a lighter weight and more options ie: PC hookup. I have been told the 77 has a new generation chip but I can not find that info anywhere. I did a compare on Sammy's site and did not find a reason to buy the 77 over the 67.

Bronze Member
Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 82
Chad,
The 77 models use a larger (0.8 vs 0.55 inch)higher end chip, I think the same one from last years 74 models. The 67 chip is smaller but uses a faster color wheel. The 67s also have a higher contrast ratio.
Check the following links:
http://product.samsung.com/SamsungUSA/PRODUCT/20050421/hlr5677.pdf
http://product.samsung.com/SamsungUSA/PRODUCT/20050504/HLR4266W4667W5067W5667W61 67W_3.PDF
-E

Anonymous

I get a screen door effect with the 4667 obviously no lines involved but looking at whites and some other colors it jumps out at me. I do not see them with the 4677.

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 81
Anon,

You may be seeing something, like, as you described before, a fuzzyness or something, but it's not "screen door effect".
SDE is a grid pattern typical of wide pixel spacing in larger LCD displays and is non-existant in any DLP. You can put your nose on a DLP screen and not see between individual pixels.

Eric & Chad,

All "R" models have improved chips over "P" models. While they are of similar size they have faster mirror switching capabilities.

The R xx67 series has a new 5th gen light engine that concentrates more lamp light on the chip resulting in higher contrast.

The R xx77 series is still using the 4th gen light engine and contrast levels have remained the same.

Username: Chadnew

Post Number: 3
FYI and Eric thank you for the info. From the information I have gathered here would it be safe to say to buy the less expensive R4667 over the R4677? The 77 has lower contrast and older light engine.

I realize that you do not want to put a DLP up high, although I do not have a choice with the way my house is set up. Has anyone built in a 5 to 7% angle into the TV platform on their entertainment center to angle the screen down towards the viewers, and how did that work for you?

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 82
The HL-R 5067W was my choice since I have no cabinet restrictions and my viewing distances are 8-10 feet. I like the floating screen design too. Mine is up higher than I sit. I tilted it down using two small paperback books under the back edges. That worked out perfectly for me. I have side seating out to 65 degrees on both sides and the picture looks the same as center viewing after matching up the vertical angle.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us