New Sony XBR tube?

Anonymous

The 34' Sony XBR tube model KD-34XBR960 just droped $300 in price. Is there a new XBR tube model comming? I am about to buy one, since I believe it has the best picture. Should I wait for the new model? has anyone heared of a new model comming soon?

Thanks a lot for your imput,
PZ

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 885
Contact Sony. No one can answer your second question but you.

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 12
I had ead earlier that sony was going to lower their prices by 10% this summer, I guess that news was true. I was able to purchase the34xbr960 for $1799 was $2200. The only difference between the earlier model 34xbr910 and the newer model was a built in atsc tuner and cable card. I thk sony is done with R&D on direct view tvs and will be concentrating all their effort on LCD. If you buy the 34xbr960 you will love it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 896
"The only difference between the earlier model 34xbr910 and the newer model was a built in atsc tuner and cable card." Wrong. Check you facts to avoid misleading posters. You are right in suggesting that the 960 is an outstanding set.

Silver Member

Post Number: 897
Don't believe me, read this article:http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KD_34XBR960/4505-6481_7-30787600-2.html?tag=top I hate it when people post misleading information and assert it as fact rather than opinion.

Anonymous

I did contact sony - no answer. Let's be nice here - I am just looking for opinion and advice, that's all. If I could answer the questions myself, I would not be writing this post...

Silver Member

Post Number: 900
I assume you want an informed opinion and not one that contains factual inaccuracies such as Casey's last post. So far, no one has been "un nice". No one can tell you whether to wait for a newer model. May be you don't want an opinion. May be you need a leash.

Bronze Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 17
Well Dale you have certaily put me on a leash. I read the c-net article and see the error of my way. More accurate color decoding and independent picture memory input. Where the 910 was set one input for all inputs. For some people this could be a big advantage, but my point was that I think R&D for this technology is done and chances of any new great improvement for the 34xbr models are remote . So buy the 34xbr960 and enjoy

Anonymous

casey - thanks, this is what I was looking for - an opinion, since I cannot get any facts from Sony. So unless I hear otherwise in the next 4 weeks I will go for it. I just hope that my rack will be able to hold 200 lb...
Dale: I hope you did not get your silver status with usless postings like the one above - my question was simple - Is there a new XBR tube model comming? I did not ask about features nor about leashes... those I can find myself

Username: Klaussner

Post Number: 5
It is possible if a new XBR is still being made that the price could be cheaper than the current model.

Silver Member

Post Number: 904
Anonymous, that was not your sole question. Read your own post and then we can all determine whose status is subject to question.

Silver Member

Post Number: 905
Casey, I respect your acknowledgment of error. That's a lot better than some of these idiots are willing to admit. We can debate the significance of improvements in the 960. One might argue that more accurate color decoding is a major advantage that anyone would seek and appreciate. But after reading the posts of the many Samsung lovers, it occurs to me that not everyone recognizes and appreciates quality.

Post Number: 8
Reading posts on forums about any tvs right now is frustrating because of all the quality problems with pretty much every kind of tv whether it be DLP, LCD Projection, CRT, Plasma, LCD. I have heard that Sony CRT televisions are problem prone also, as a matter of fact one store told me that if you want a crt buy Sony but having said that I will warn you that we have lots of repair problems with Sony crt televisions.
While I realize there can be problems with whatever you buy no matter how good it is I hate the thought of paying between $1600.00 and $2000.00 range for a tv of any kind and having a lot of problems with it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 906
Eugene, your solution is simple. Don't but it. Buy a Samsung and go on your merry way. I've owned Sony tvs of various types for almost 30 years and have only had to have one repaired (power supply) after owning and using it as our family's primary set for almost 8 years. Repair cost me $400. You do the math. Then buy what you want.

Post Number: 10
I never said I wanted to buy a Samsung. I was just making a statement and relating what I was told. I am sure there are people who could argue your statements against Samsung products. If you don!t like what people say on here you should go on your merry way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 909
Yeah, the dummies can argue anything they want. However, any objective and knowledgable person will confirm that Samsung products are generally unreliable. You don't have to believe it. Buy one for yourself. You sound like just the type of customer Samsung is looking for.

Bronze Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 20
Getting back to the original question about sony's new 2005 line I found an article on c-net http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6451_7-5711417-1.html. They are only showing LCD models in this article for 2005

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Why don!t you tell us about your background in this field which qualifies you to know more than anyone else. When I bought my current tv several years ago I went around and asked some different repair shops about which brands were reliable and was told at that point that Sony had a high repair rate by professional repair people who did not sell any brands of tvs.

Of course they are all stupid. Anyone that is objective and has any common sense also knows that Sony is overpriced. You are the type of customer Sony is looking for, someone who will read the review on Cnet and run out and overpay for their product.

I am not going to clutter up the forum any longer arguing with someone who is an arrogant idiot.

Anonymous

Since I triggered this whole discussion let me ask another question:
Should I get the 34' XBR CRT Sony or should I get any of the new models mentioned in the above c-net article:
KLV-S32A10 or
KDF-E42A10 or
KD-34XBR960
Any suggestions with other models are welcome. I need HDTV build in, cable card build in, screen no larger than 42'.
thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 921
No, Eugene. They are not all stupid. That category is reserved almost exclusively for you. Obviously, it escapes your petty mind that whether an item is overpriced is a separate issue from its build quality. Although in life, the better quality merchandise of any type tends to cost more than the run of the mill. Guess you hadn't noticed that. But it's ok. You're a Samsung kind of guy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I know more about build quality than you ever will. I never said they were the same issue. Judging from your posts you don!t know much about anything. You make assumptions and comments that are ridiculous. You add things that are not there and not true and the content of your posts shows your ability to comprehend simple statements is non existent. Your response on another post in a different category after I had to break the message down beyond simple so that you could understand simple common sense and even then you can!t understand but instead ramble on in ignorance. Instead of being embarrassed like you should have you said that I learned something about myself. No, I learned how stupid and ignorant you are.

Silver Member

Post Number: 928
Man, I'm glad you got that off your chest. Now go on about your way. Samsung is waiting for you.

engine giver
Unregistered guest
Newgene, I have a Samsang I would like to sell you.

phart buster
Unregistered guest
Hey Eugene, want to buy a Samsing?

Bronze Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 22
Anonymous: Neither of the two LCD sets seem available yet.There are no reviews but you can get prices online.

Anonymous

I think the problem is that the LCD will not have the cable card build in. For the projection - I do not want to spend extra money for bulbs every few years, so I think I will stay with the 200 lb gorilla - the XBR CRT... I hope I will not have to move aby time soon...

Dr. RoadRunner
Unregistered guest
Eugene, I agree with you. Dale Wiley Coyote is one arrogant poster, whom makes assumptions of people's intentions or thought processes and twist their wording to applaude his own comments. One would think since the poor guy was asking what people thought about Sony XBR's that the corest and polite thing to do was give a viewer's opinion and make your comments alteristic for someone smart enough to seek other videophile's opinion. Dr. RoadRunner

Anonymous

here is what I think: instead of spending 3K on good 32' lcd or 40' plasma TV today, why not buy the Sony XBR CRT now for 1500 and in 3 years buy a 32' LCD TV for another 1500 - by that time the LCD TV will be as good as the CRT is today (or maybe even better), and the price will be 1/2 of what is today. So for 3k you will end up with 2 good tvs. Am I the only one that thinks rationaly here? Who cares that the CRT is 200 lb. Flat screen are only to impress housewifes... think about it: if you buy hifi components, will you buy the best looking amp or the large, ugly, better performing amp? This is a no-brainer to me...

Silver Member

Post Number: 936
Dr. Roadrunner? You must be joking. Idiots do tend to run in the same circles.

Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 9
exactly Stay away from the still evolving digital TV markets. Stay with CRT (not Sony) before you cannot get them any more. Then sit bcak a few years. When the digital wars are over and there is a clear winner. It will be much less costly and much more stable to jump into the digital fray...(where all of a sudden Sylvania and Westinghouse are getting back into the picture) go figure. The ne technology is going to apparently be alot cheaper in a few years. CRTs will be MORE expensive in a few years if you can find them.

I am storing a few 19" Computer monitors in their boxes in my attic as they as much better then any LCD in many ways...except for space.

Username: Clarusworks

Post Number: 2
Isn't Sylvania owned (or at least manufactured) by Funai Electric, makers of sheer garbage? I've seen some newer Sylvania VCRs, DVDs, combo units, and TV sets, and they look and perform like Funai designs (Heads coming apart in the DVD players, VCRs eating tapes, CRTs getting magnetized from a tiny field like a refrigerator magnet and not degaussing completely, etc.)

JCC
Unregistered guest
After reading all of this I can say go with the XBR. It is by far the best picture quality you can buy. Hands down. As for repair issues, Sony had less than 5% major repair issues with any of their lines. However, I wouldn't be too happy if I were in that 4% who plunked down $2,200 and saw the price drop to $1,700 and had a bad set. Is it worth your peace of mind to buy a warranty? Many places will sale them (make sure it is an on-site warranty or a total replacement warranty). I'm not a big fan of them but you can get a good one and it will be worth the money spent. Once again, the KD-34XBR960 is by far the best picture I have ever viewed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 982
JCC, you're obviously a very discerning and intelligent consumer. Not because you agree with me, but because you can distinguish quality from bullsheit. Unfortunately, many posters in this forum allow their prejudices and ignorance to influence their judgment.

Silver Member

Post Number: 983
Eugene, still want your Samsuck?

Anonymous

Too bad Samsuck has to bail Sony out. There is a reason for that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 990
As I previously stated:Unfortunately, many posters in this forum allow their prejudices and ignorance to influence their judgment. Anonymous just proved my case.

Anonymous

Do you notice that Dale M Wiley does not respect anyone elses right to their own opinion? If anyone disagrees with his thoughts they are ignorant and prejudiced.

In previous disagreements with others the people explain themselves and show that they were right and he was wrong, he is unable to admit that he was wrong or that the other person was right in the way they looked at something for the reasons they did. It truly does prove that ignorance is bliss. He can not compete in an argument with others because his limited mental capacity does not allow him to be able to come up with anything more than pitiful.

The reason he lurks here is because he would not get away with this on other forums, not only would they all put him in his place and he would be too dumb to realize it but the administrator would step in also. Then his rump swabs add their two cents. engine giver who can!t spell and phart buster. It proves that birds of a feather flock together.

Dale M Wiley if you ever could get hold of a minute fragment of intelligence you would realize what an embarassment you are.

Silver Member

Post Number: 994
Repeat:Unfortunately, many posters in this forum allow their prejudices and ignorance to influence their judgment. Anonymous just proved my case...again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 995
I think engine giver and phart buster are two cool guys-not particularly substantive in their submissions-but cool nonetheless. More than I can say for Anonymous who is neither substantive nor cool. That's why he hides as an unregistered guest.

which one?
Unregistered guest
Dale: go to hell - this forum is for Q&A and not for he kind of comments you are giving. You do not help at all...

Silver Member

Post Number: 998
And you do? Repeat for the mentally challenged: Unfortunately, many posters in this forum allow their prejudices and ignorance to influence their judgment. I gave the original poster a direct answer to the inquiry. Only idiots like you would conclude that it was not helpful.

Anonymous

Dale is a poopy head.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1224
Thank you, thank you very much to all my fans in cyberspace.

The MOFO has spoken.

Anonymous

Damn, as a outside observer, reading all of this, all I can say is, Dale, you have some serious insecurity issues. Sell your TV and get a shrink brother.

. . . Sony definately has the picture quality on lock with the XBRs. Nobody is really even touching their TVs as far as that goes.

But, as a company, accross the spectrum, Sony has always had problems with build quality. Since back in the 80s. Their TVs are always top notch, when they work, the rest of their stuff is outmatched by other companies. For example, you'll never see a serious audiophile with a Sony amp or Sony speakers. But the thing is, their TVs are what they do best, and despite Sony's problems with build quality, if you want the picture, you're stuck.

I would suggest that you cover yourself as best you can with an extended warranty.

Anonymous

Just poking around to get some opinions on Sony's XBR tv's and found once you read through all of Dale's inability to socialize their are several good thoughts mostly from the original poster. I have a sony 40 xbr which I got an extended warranty just to be safe. It's hands down the best picture quality on the market. That's why I'm shopping for another one, as one poster stated, before they stop making crt's. One thing is for sure my crt will out last all the new technologies and have the least amount of repairs and maintanence.

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 97
"But, as a company, accross the spectrum, Sony has always had problems with build quality. Since back in the 80s. Their TVs are always top notch, when they work, the rest of their stuff is outmatched by other companies. For example, you'll never see a serious audiophile with a Sony amp or Sony speakers. But the thing is, their TVs are what they do best, and despite Sony's problems with build quality, if you want the picture, you're stuck."

I don't know about some of the stuff you're saying.

There are some fantastic CD and SACD players from Sony ES that cannot be beat in a price/performance ratio, not to mention performance by that merit alone. And, of course, the build quality is usually top notch.

In terms of audio: if you want Sony, buy from their ES line. Don't bother with anything else that's audio from Sony.

As for video, Sony has made some rather excellent video equipment. Their DVD players are typically very good overall with the only real problem is the fact that they haven't totally done away with the chroma upsampling problem (although they are not the worst in that regard). Some of their vintage VHS machines have some of the best picture and sound that I've seen and heard from any VHS VCR. I have a Sony SVO-160 from 1990 and the only deck that Ive used that has bested it was a Panasonic AG-1980 S-VHS professional editing deck. Of course, if you want a good Beta deck, get a Sony.

However, if you're into LaserDisc, then you also know that Sony isn't so great there. At least they don't make the worst players, but stay with Pioneer if you play them.

As for televisions and monitors: nothing beats a properly tuned Trinitron aperture grille CRT. There's a reason why Trinitron is used extensively in professional settings. As for their reliability, they aren't really as bad as some say. They hold up very well and tend to have better engineering than, say, Panasonic.

The Pannys have some real screwy engineering in the horizontal drive sections of their CRT sets which makes repairs on them aggrivating whenever they fail. And, of course, like everyone else that makes CRT sets (unlike Sony), they use shadow mask CRTs. But, anyways....

The biggest problem with Sony tends to be that they give more attention to their mid-range to high end offerings. Their low end is something that you really shouldn't buy with exception given to their television sets and DVD players.

But, on average, Sony tends to be about above average. And, as for my own experience, Sony gear has almost been totally reliable for me, but more reliable than any other brand of equipment I've owned and used. - Reinhart
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us