Samsung DLP questions!!!

samsung is confusing
Unregistered guest
OK, I've done my research and I'm pretty much set on a Samsung DLP.
I want a 50-56" screen, so I've been looking at the new HLR models.
I've narrowed my search down to the hlr5087, hlr5667, and hlr 5677.
I called samsung and asked some questions about differences...
i was told the 5667 had the HD3 chip and the 5677 had the HD2+ chip, the representative told me the HD2+ chip is better. is this true? and why/how is it better?
HOWEVER, i asked about the color wheel and contrast ratio. even though the 5667 had the worse chip, it had a higher contrast ratio ( 2500:1 vs. 2000:1 ) AND a better color wheel ( 7 segment, 10,800 rpm vs. 6 segment 9,000 rpm ).
WHY does the 5677 have a better chip but worse contrast ratio and color wheel???
AND more importantly, which one will look better?!?!?! why have a better chip with a slower color wheel and CR? I don't get it??? HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 61
I agree! It is confusing.

The R67 series has an improved HD3 chip that is .55 inches square. It performs mirror switching twice as fast as previous versions of the HD3 chip. The light engine in the R67's is a fifth generation vs. the older third generation LE in the P63 and P67 series that used the older HD3 chip. The newer LE is better at focusing most of the lamp light on the chip. The result is higher contrast ratios.

The type and size of the chip determines the size and speed of color wheel that will work with that chip.

The HD2+ chip is a little larger, but it's very debatable that it produces a better picture than the (improved) HD3 at this time. It is certainly better than the older version of the HD3. The R77 series still uses the fourth generation LE. It has an ATSC digital tuner and a CableCard slot, which the P74 series before it didn't have. The efficiency of the LE did not improve from P74 to R77, so, the contrast ratio stayed the same.

Design seems to be a major difference. Some really like the thin framing or bezel of the R77's while I find the new floating screen design of the R67's to be very appealing.

I wouldn't get caught up in the better chip worse chip war. Both chips produce a stunning, brilliant, sharp, and clear picture when supplied with a digital or HD signal.

The first level CSR's at Samsung have limited knowledge of specific engineering information. If you were able to get past the first level you would find that the executive customer relations level is still not fully informed. Customer satisfaction is their main focus, not technical information. I found that out early last year.

samsung is confusing
Unregistered guest
when you say the improved HD3 chip, are you referring to the xHD3 chip?
when i was talking to the tech guy on the phone, he said that the R67 did not have the xHD3 chip, just an HD3 chip. i thought he said the xHD3 chip would be out with the release of the R68s.
ok...new quetion, assuming the R5667 and R5677 are both the same size, price, and look (all i care about is picture quality), which is the one to get?
Thanks!

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 63
The xHD3 was the presumed name of the 1080P chip.
I've also seen HD5 used for the future 1080P models.

When I say improved HD3 I mean just that, although I've seen TI represent it as the HD4.

Here is a link to Samsung's site, which clearly explains the improvements. Scroll down to "
Next Generation DLP Chips".

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=H LR5667WX%252fXAA

Choice is a personal preferance.

Unregistered guest
I own a 61 inch Samsung DLP TV, periodically a series of vertical lines appears on the screen. Sometimes they remain for a couple of minutes, sometimes a couple of days. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this problem?

otto
Unregistered guest
im having problums with my samsung dlp tv. its a 47in tv. more frequintly but intermitantly i have a hard time turning it on and lattly it will just serch for chanals and i cant stop it.

Anonymous

I just received a second, Samsung HLR 5667, from Brandsmart USA, in South Florida. I had requested the second (replacement) TV because the first one, and now the second, "BUZZ". I had read some threads about earlier generations Color wheels buzzing, but this sounds like a transformer, and is really noticeable. The sound originates from the rear service panel area where you would remove the Bulb. Is this normal? is there a fix? I have a friend of a friend who has one and says it is quiet, but I cannot imagine 2 different TV's with the same fault? Thoughts?

Username: Dennyf

Post Number: 1
Brand new HL-R4667W audio problem.
Recently purchased and everything is fine. Except today after messing around with hooking up an Air antenna and trying to get the TV Guide set up, my audio went totally high-gain. I've shut it down several times now and even unplugged it. I still can't turn ANY volume on without the sound being obnoxiously loud. I was, and am still connected to Cox Cable via a Motorola digital box. I haven't even had a chance to hook it up to my HTS yet.
Any suggestions or thoughts? Is there perhaps a way to reset the entire TV back to it's original settings?
Thanks for any help.

Brandsmart?
Unregistered guest
Anonymous-

I am planning on buying the 46 inch HLR from Brandsmart. The price was 1899, but I know that I could bargin there. I have never madea a major purchase there, and I was wondering if they are reliable. Do they offer a warranty, and how much is it. Thanks in advance

Anonymous

When I look at the 667 series Samsung DLP I see fuzzy movement is how I would describe it but the whole screen, especially with whites although I see it with other colors too and even at 8 to 10 feet away. It jumps right out at me. It is not one tv with a problem because I have looked at different ones at different stores and they all are like that, at least to me. I do not see it with the 677 series. It is something I could not accept. From what I see only certain places sell the 677 series. BB and CC don!t.

Unregistered guest
I have a 52" Samsung DLP, 2004. The picture changes from normal to zoom on it's own. The picture size is set to wide and does not change when you go into setup and check. I know there's something on the remote that toggles the picture from normal to zoom and back, but I can't remember which button. Does anyone know which one it is??

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 146
Hi Vicki,

It should be "P Size", which might be under the slide door on the remote.
Make sure none of the buttons are stuck or hung up.
Digital or HD channels may limit sizing to two choices, but any other standard def channel should restore sizing to all available options.
Still won't switch?
You can temporarily switch to an s-video or single RCA video input to see if all sizing function is restored.
If you are using a DVI/HDMI connection, try a component (Pr, Pb, Y) input.

Username: Symbiosissol

Post Number: 1
After reading through several pages of threads it seems I am stuck between the HLR xx67W and the HLR xx78W (I am not sure of size yet, but probably 50 or 56"). Digital1234.com looks like a fantastic price, but I am a bit concerned about buying from online vs. at a store...but for the money saved online I realize I can go a few sizes higher and upgrade my existing setup. So, I guess what I am asking is is it worth bumping up to the xx78W at a smaller screen size, or go w/ a larger screen on a xx67W.

Post Number: 2
A little more research.....it seems the xx78W is only avaiable in the 61" size is this correct?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 198
I'd get the 78, which has the 1080P chip and 6th gen light engine.

The Samsung website shows 50, 56, and 61 inch models of the 78.
These 1080P sets have just been released in the last few weeks and are mostly available from west coast retailers.

Post Number: 3
The 78, just being relesaed seems a bit out of reach (price). The cheapest I have seen the HLR 5078 is $3,499 from Crutchfield

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-20rnwASSzOG/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=147350&I=305HLR5 078

Whereas the HLR 5067 is around $1,770 from digital1234.

I find it hard to believe (and since I havent seen the xx78 its a guess) that the xx78 will be so much better than the xx67 to warrent paying another $1730 for it. Have you seen the HLR 5078 for less then $3,499??

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 58
Using pricegrabber.com Abes of Maine has it for $2799.

http://ecoustics.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=10087312

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a Samsung rear projection DLP TV model SP42L6HX... it may be similar to SP42W4HP... I was wondering how you can get to read the Lamp Meter...?

Unregistered guest
I was told by the sales flunkies at BestBuy that there were no broadcast signal on cable or satellite that were capable of being improved by the 1080 Samsungs and only some new video games ala Playstation would be able to take advantage of or otherwise be benefitted by this tech advance. I only will watch TV and DVD in reg and HD from my satellite dish. Is this true? They also told me DirectTV has a superior signal to DISH to which I was considering changing in order to take advantage of their free HD receiver and DVR promotion. Any thoughts on superiority of DISH vs DirecTV?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us