Clarify the 6xRCA outputs from a DVD player

Username: Beyondtool

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a really cheap set of logitech 5.1 speakers the X-530 set. Work great with the PC, fill my room perfectly and are quite clean and clear. They come with an adaptor that converts 2 channel audio from a DVD player, Gamecube or other console into the 5 speakers BUT THIS IS NOT SURROUND SOUND (nice if the box established this). So anyway I attempted to plug the 6xRCA outputs on my DVD player (Soniq 919)into the 3 inputs on the speakers and could only get a response from the front 2 channels. My DVD book is written in gibberish, but what I can establish is that in order to use the RCA 5.1 audio output on ANY DVD player one needs an amplifier/receiver that supports the special signal. I've seen a lot of reference to High definition DVD-A, and the fact that many amplifiers/receivers don't support it and that is what the 6xRCA are designed for. Is this correct? Is this why my speakers won't pick up the audio?

Furthermore in order to get Dolby Pro Logic II output from a Gamecube you connect the 2xRCA audio outputs to a Dolby Prologic II amplifier, which sees 4 channels in the analog signals, not the 2 channels normal devices detect? I'm assuming that the RCA outputs from a DVD player are similar?

Then the question must be asked, is there any way to decode the signals from the RCA outputs without a special (expensive) amplifier/receiver? I'm sure these are kinda newbie questions, but I've read so much conflicting information I don't know what is an isn't possible.

Also I'm wondering what amplifier/receiver one could recommend to this end, something reasonably priced that I could connect to the speakers I have just purchased would be perfect.

If only Optical speaker setups were cheaper I would have gone that route an avoided this mess entirely. Then again I'd have issues connecting them to the PC...

Post Number: 2
Update, my DVD player is faulty. Actually it was a replacement for an original faulty DVD player. Look out for DVD players which have 6xRCA outputs...they don't always work.

Unregistered guest
Hi mate, I was wondering if you got that to work on a dvd player as surround sound with your new dvd player or u need an amp? How much did the amp end up costing you?

Thanks

Post Number: 3
As long as you have powered speakers you don't need an amp. It is possible to hook up (for instance) 3x stereo HiFi units to the 3 pairs of RCA outputs from your DVD player.

In my Case I bought a cheap set of Logitech 5.1 surround sound speakers (designed for a PC) which has 3 headphone sockets. I bought an adaptor that converts the phono sockets into 2xRCA's and hooked it all up to the DVD player. The quality is excellent for the fraction of the price of an amplifier alone, and definately better than most bundled DVD/speaker packages.

The problem I was having is that the audio was not coming out of all 6 channels. I actually bought 2 different DVD players which were BOTH faulty. My 3rd one works as advertised.

If you can't get audio out of your rear DVD RCA audio channels and you definately have a DVD with surround sound audio (some titles have very limited surround sound) and surround sound is enabled in your DVD menu setup then you most likely have a faulty DVD player.

alseides
Unregistered guest
I am also in your situation, Beyond tool. I have the x-530 and the Logitech adapter to convert the 3 heaphone sized jacks (orange/green/black) into 2 rca plugs (red/white), which then goes into my DVD player.

The problem is, I do not get 5.1 surround. You said it is likely due to faulty DVD player, but I was just wondering, how can 2 rca plugs carry 5.1 distinct channels? Is it true Dolby Digital 5.1?

If you get the Incredibles DVD, there is a THX Optimizer test on there that will output individual channels so that you can see if all the speakers work right. When I ran the test, every speaker had sound instead of the indicated single speaker.

Post Number: 4
Simple answer you can't. You don't use the 2xRCA downsampler game adaptor that comes with the Logitech X-530 speakers (it's marketing fluff that is NOT surround sound). It's like you said.. a 2.1 signal.

What I tried to clarify above is that for every headphone sized jack, I added a phono to 2xRCA adaptor (a total of 3, one for each phone jack). I then plugged the relevant 2xRCA (of the 3 pairs) outputs on my DVD player to the relevant phono input on the X-30 speakers.

Your DVD player must have 6xRCA outputs and the menu system configured to use all the outputs. My DVD player has a menu option that tests all 6 speakers, most decent players should..or you can use the incredibles DVD. I'm still annoyed though that I had to purchase 3 DVD players just to get one that works as advertised! Worth the pain though.

Post Number: 5
I suppose you could use 3x of the Logitech Game adaptors (they're available on the logitech web site) and plug only one of the phono jacks into each one. But I found it cheaper to buy these adaptors from Jaycar Electronics. I think I paid $15 all up including the extra RCA cables I needed.

alseides
Unregistered guest
Gosh I just posted my entry but it didnt show up... here goes again:

So just to confirm, what you're saying is that I have to get 3 adapters for the 3 headphone jacks. Each adapter will split one of the headphone jacks into 2 RCA plugs, making a total of 6 RCA plugs that will then hook up to a DVD player. And the DVD player MUST have 6 RCA outputs. Correct?

Can you tell me what DVD player you have? I don't see many players with 6 outputs. This setup is just for a small TV in the garage, so I'm looking for something cheap. But if what you have isn't on the budget side, I might as well go for it.

A little off topic, but I just wanted to mention something about my main family room theatre setup. I have a pretty high end Bose system (which is now really outdated) but the setup is a bit strange. I output a digital signal (coax) from my DVD player, which then goes into the Bose reciever, which then outputs via 2 RCA plugs to the subwoofer, which then outputs via 5 RCA plugs to the individual speakers.

DVD Player Digital Coax (OUT) >> Bose reciever (IN) >> Bose Reciever RCA x2 (OUT) >> Sub (IN) >> Sub RCA x5 (OUT)

Digital output is great, and the final output via 5 RCAs seem fine too (enabling 5.1 channels), but in between this, it gets passed through 2 RCAs. It seems a bit strange to me that it works that way, and in true DD 5.1 at that. Perhaps it is some proprietary thing. I dunno just thought it was interesting.

Post Number: 6
Yes that is correct. You do end up with a lot of cables and adaptors, but it's a lot cheaper than a true 5.1 setup with a digital decoder and speakers. As you would already know the Logitech 530's are an excellent speaker for the price, even though they don't have a consistent dynamic range.

Ironically more expensive DVD players tend to not include 6xRCA outputs..I don't know why. My player cost me $115 AU at WOW sight and sound, and will also play Divx and Xvid (struggles a bit with some HQ Xvid movies). I think the brand was VUE. Most cheap DVD players have 6xRCA outputs, the question is whether they actually work (make sure you have a warranty that covers this for a quick replacement).

It is also worth noting that the DVD player actually decodes the 5.1 signal when you use the 6xRCA's. This means that you really want a DVD player that decodes a quality 5.1 signal using a decent decoder. Sound circuits required to do this are very cheap nowadays and don't add a lot to the price of the player, but some manufacturers take shortcuts with poor quality fidelity. Most decent DVD players with 6xRCA's also have a time delay option in the DVD menu which allows you to adjust each speaker to suit the room and position.

Your old school BOSE system does actually transmit all 5.1 signals though the 2xRCA outputs. The Nintendo Gamecube similarly outputs Dolby Prologic II surround sound through 2xRCA cables, but you do need a Pro Logic decoder to "see" the extra signals. As far as I am aware this does affect the quality of the sound compared to 6xRCA's, but I think only sound experts would really tell the difference.

The other thing most people don't know is that the only way to play back High Definition DVD audio disks in their full glory is through a system that uses the 6xRCA outputs. Ironically this cheap and simple setup can play these disks, yet some mid range home theatre setups which only have Coax or Optical inputs will not!

Hope this helps.

alseides
Unregistered guest
Yup. That helps. Thanks for the input. Now it's time for me to go hunting for one of these cheap dvd players.

Anonymous

Beyond tool, i'm having trouble getting my gamecube to output surround thru my x-530 speakers. you said i would need a pro logic decoder to get the extra signals? does this mean its not possible w/ the logitech speakers, or what would i need to get surround to work?

peterboston
Unregistered guest
Just read this forum/thread and it definitely applies to my set-up, or hopeful set-up. My problem is I am having trouble finding (cheap) DVD players with the 6 RCA audio outputs. Cheaply buying the powered 5.1 speakers to avoid the separate receiver/amp and wires was the whole point, yet I'd sure like it if someone provided a list of possible DVD players with the needed output jacks.

Post Number: 9
Anon, yep you will need a dolby Pro Logic decoder. About the only one on the market I know of that will definately work with your a Gamecube and the X-530 speakers is the Creative Decoder DDTS-100. The speakers will plug straight in and it supports dolby pro logic.

Of course the expense may not be worth it for you, I've been told that it's really 3.1 sound with a left, right, rear and bass channels only..definately not "true" surround sound. I didn't spend the money as I'm happy with 2.1 for my cube.

Honestly you could cite false advertising with Logitech X-530 speakers as the game adaptor that comes with it does not support 5.1 and it does not say this on the box.

peterboston, I definately know that VUE make a few DVD players with 6xRCA oputputs...that actually work. I had no problem finding DVD players with 6xRCA outputs, try any decent electrical store.

Kevvy Ha
Unregistered guest
Hi Beyond Tool, the info you give here is tops. I went out and bought the adpaters and hooked it up to the 6 RCAs on the DVD player. This is probably a simple question but I want to know if i have connected it right. The green plug i have put into an adapter and put into front left and right, the orange plug i have connected to rear speakers left and right and the black plug i have put into centre speaker and sub. Is this right?
I also used the surround sound tester found on the Monster Inc DVD. All the speakers went fine but no noise came from the sub, i take it this isn't normal.....?

Post Number: 10
That sounds right from memory. I haven't used the Monster inc DVD so I can't say if it has a noticable sub test. My DVD player has a built in test and it does have a sub test which works.

When you play a DVD I'm sure you would notice if the sub was working or not?

The other thing to check is your DVD manual, somewhere it should tell you how to configure the audio. My DVD player has a menu option that you can turn each speaker on and off, and set a volume level. You might want to check that.

Kevvy Ha
Unregistered guest
Thanks Beyond Tool, all seems to be working well. Not bad speakers really but a pain with all the adapters and plus there is no remote for the volume so you have to get up each time you want to adjust it. Oh well can't win them all. Cheers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Most decent DVD players should have a volume control so you don't have to get up!

But you are right it's a lot of stuffing about. I don't watch DVD's that often so it' not a big deal. To do things properly you really need a decent receiver (the Creative DDS ain't too bad and has a remote), and a universal remote too!

At the end of day like anything, it comes down to how much you want to spend.

Unregistered guest
I cant just find the simple answer...maybe Im not understanding it all or what? Do these speakers just work on your home system? If I was only to want to set them up with my home dvd player and tv, would it work? Would it sound good? Is it possible? Its a x-mas gift, and I want to make sure Im giving something that will work. Please help.

Kevvy Ha
Unregistered guest
Hi Ginuwine, these speakers are actually more suited to a PC setup but with some adaptors they can be plugged into your dvd player to produce some surround sound. The sound quality is actually not too bad, as Beyond Tool mentioned you get what you pay for. I have a small lounge and they do the job fine so i am more than happy. If i do however move house and get a bigger lounge i would go for a more powerful set.

Bronze Member
Username: Toolmaker

Providence, RI

Post Number: 24
SACD (Super Audio CD) and DVD-A (DVD Audio), are multi-channel audio formats. SACD's and DVD-A's are basically audio CD's that are mixed in 6 channel, instead of 2 channel (stereo). To receive 6 channel audio from these disks, you must have a receiver and CD or DVD player that supports DVD-A or SACD. These receivers and players will both have 6 RCA audio connections to make this connection. Dolby audio, music, and sound, is best heard through a digital or optical connection between the receiver and player, but 6 channel SACD or DVD-A audio cannot be heard through these connections. SACD and DVD-A must use the 6 RCA connections. If your player does not support SACD or DVD-A, then it will not have these 6 RCA connections.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Ginuwine, the simple answer is yes these speakers will work with a normal DVD player, as long as it has 6xRCA audio outputs on the DVD player and they actually work. Like I mentioned in my first post I bought 3 DVD players before it actually worked.

If you are buying a present for someone though I would recommend you either buy a cheap DVD player that comes bundled with a surround sound setup, or go the whole hog and get a reciever/amplifier and a set of decent surround sound speakers. While the Logitech X-530 work, they are designed more for a PC. As such they are complicated to connect to a DVD player and require the use of the adapters mentioned.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us