Recording VHS to DVD

Username: Pkay

Texas

Post Number: 1
I'm returning an Emerson EWR20V4 DVD R/RW/VCR combo. It would not respond to remote, finally got it to play a VHS tape (no sound), disc tray would not open, and setup up would appear on screen.

Reading the directions, I find you cannot RW to DVD from a copyrighted VHS tape (movies), which is why I brought it so I could transfer all my tapes to DVD's.

Question is, if I keep my old VCR and buy just a DVD Recorder seperate and add to hook-up on tv, then will the recorder then copy the VHS tape to DVD since they are being read by seperate machines?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1176
If the tapes are copy protected, you need a stabilizer. Do a search here, this has been done to death.

lei
Unregistered guest
I am trying to record home VHS to DVD and they are giving me a Recording Prohibited error....WHY? THey are not copyrighted???

Christina123
Unregistered guest
I should have posted here... in the DVD recorder section. I want to go from SVHS to DVD. I also want to edit. Would the Panasonic DMR-E80H DVD Recorder be a good buy? I'm thinking I will hook up my SVHS player to the Panasonic as you suggested.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1388
I've used a few Panasonics, as long as you don't go over SP to record they are fine. In slower speeds they get blocky. I haven't used one with a HD though, so I don't know about them.

Silver Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 113
I've done S-VHS from a JVC using SVideo and RCA Audio to my Pana DMR-E80H at SP speed. It works fine, S Video is as good as my S-VHS unit does.

Silver Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 114
Opps...forgot to mention that it takes forever. First you play the tape and record it. Then you title it, create a playlist. Then dub the playlist to the DVD-R (Not at high speed). Then finalize the DVD so it can be played. The process takes more than twice the length of the tape for each tape you record.

Username: Tap_mt

Great falls, Mt Usa

Post Number: 1
I bought Panasonic DMR-ES10 and am dubbing home movie VHS to DVD. All is going well except when trying to put in chapters. I followed the instructions but after going to "other functions", no "playlist" pops up so I can't add chapters. After finalizing, can't add chapters. But, finalizing did make the new DVD's playbable in another DVD deck. Any help on chapters?, thank you

Gold Member

Post Number: 1458
You can't do chapters on DVD-R, they are done by the machine when the disc is finalized.

Username: Tap_mt

Great falls, Mt Usa

Post Number: 2
The machine only added 1 and 2 chapters on each -R disc. Can you manually add chapters with +R or RAM discs? then.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1485
It should make chapters about every 5 minutes, the older ones do anyway. To do chapters after the recording, you can either us a PC and an authoring program, or use RAM discs and make play lists. I don't and never have used + discs, so I don't know what they do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us