Error Message with HDMI connection

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 156
Hi guys, I'm sure somebody can answer this question for me (fx or dale if you're reading)
We have the SA8330HD-DVR in our system. On occasion in our tech center, the error message "Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please use the YPrPb component connection to watch television"
I know why the message appears, but I don't know "why" it does lol. Does that make sense? Our test TV is a Sony KD 34XBR 960, CC access and all the whistles and bells to help train our service techs and installers.
I've seen this message show up during different training classes, but could never figure out why it would show up sometimes, and not others. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the order in which the cables are connected, and what device is turned on in what order. I've never been able to duplicate the problem, but some other techs have. The million dollar questions are:
Is there a preset order in which the STB and TV should be turned on?
Is there a preset order in which the HDMI cable should be connected, and should the STB and TV be on or off when connecting?

The HDMI input works, I know the TV is HDCP compliant, but don't understand why it shows this error message when ever it feels like it.
I also have a customer with a Sanyo that is doing the same thing, but I'm not sure his TV is HDCP compliant. Any insight would be helpful...
thanks

fx
Unregistered guest
You are correct Cableguy about it being the order in which the units are turned on. IIRC turning on the display first will avoid the error message. The Motorola boxes used to have this same problem but it was fixed late last year with a firmware download.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 779
Cableguy, I'm baffled. I own this very same model and have used HDMI (DVD player) and DVI (satellite receiver with DVI to HDMI cable) connections and have never received any such message. Sorry. Maybe fx can help out here. Does it only show up when you use the DVR? Have you tried a DVD player with HDMI output? Just trouble shooting here. If only when using DVR, suggests some incompatbility in transferring the digital signal. Let me know when you track it down.

Silver Member

Post Number: 780
fx. You the MAN.

fx
Unregistered guest
Thanks Dale, Ditto!

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 157
you guys both rock in my book, fx I've tried turning on the display first then the STB but the error message was still there (this is on the Sony), I've disconnected the HDMI reset the STB and turned it back on. While the TV was on and STB on connected the HDMI wire and everything was fine. Had a trainee go through the same paces but had a different result. It's almost like the formal handshake between the two devices was lost and didn't restart without resetting.
Dale we don't have a DVD player with HDMI outputs to test that aspect out (it's a budget thing lol)

Silver Member

Post Number: 787
Cableguy, I feel you are in the minority but we appreciate it. When I need advice about anything cable, I know exactly where to turn.

Silver Member

Post Number: 788
fx and cableguy, I posted an inquiry in this thread on 5-27 regarding and HDMI switch. Would you guys take a look at it and give me some advice?

fx
Unregistered guest
Cableguy,

If you start with a fresh setup with no errors, connect the cables, turn on the STB, then turn on the display it will function correctly.

Now if you turn everything off, turn on the display first and then the STB you will ocassionally lose the handshake but not every time. It should happen often enough to easily duplicate.

Again this is from experience and extensive research on the DCT-6200 and DCT-6412 not on any Pace or Sci Atl boxes.

Dale,

I saw that question but had no useful input at the time. I'll look it over again.

xvxvxvx

fx
Unregistered guest
Holy Batman! I just noticed which display you are using Cableguy. I believe it has a history of this very intermittent problem even when everything else is working correctly. I'll look into that and get back to you.

xvxvxvx

fx
Unregistered guest
arghhhhhh! See corrected post here.

Cableguy,

If you start with a fresh setup with no errors, connect the cables, turn on the display, then turn on the STB it will function correctly.

Now if you turn everything off, turn on the STB first and then the display you will ocassionally lose the handshake but not every time. It should happen often enough to easily duplicate.

Again this is from experience and extensive research on the DCT-6200 and DCT-6412 not on any Pace or Sci Atl boxes.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 158
Thanks guys, I've placed a call to Pioneer since they write the software platform for our STB's, but they called back and said I need to contact SA to further troubleshoot.

Unregistered guest
Hi. I have a Dell W4200HD HDTV. It apparently has a design flaw that intermitantly causes the screen to start blinking and go black, followed by loss of remote control use, when using the HDMI port. Posts at the Dell forum will back this up. Do you know what causes this, and what can be done about it? Dell is in denial about the problem, and even closed down the forum thread on this topic. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us