Samsung HL-R5064..is it the same as the HL-R5067W??

Username: Remij

Here, There Canada

Post Number: 1
I'm from canada...and I know sometimes Companies label their TV's differently here.

I've looked at them both, and I'm pretty sure they are the same TV's but I just want to be sure before I go and pick one up.

I'm also pretty sure its the HD3 with the Gen 5 light engine...correct? I was looking for these answers in some threads but no one ever mentioned the 5064, which I assume is canadas version. Sorry for making a new thread about it.

Thanks guys for all the help, this forum kicks butt...lots of great info.

Peace

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 45
I don't see an HL-R5064 on the Samsung website.
To the best of my knowledge, geography doesn't play a role in any manufacturer's model numbers.

The HL-R5067 has an enhanced version of the HD3 chip, which performs mirror-switching twice as fast as the previous version. The generation 5 light engine has better focus and uses nearly 100 percent of the lamp light.
It also has the 3rd generation DNIE processor.
All "R" xx67 series sets have a floating screen design.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=H LR5067WX%252fXAA

Here, There Canada

Post Number: 4
hey, thanks for the reply.

But check out www.samsung.ca

For some reason I cant link to the product..so just go to the tv section...the HL-R5064 will be there.

I'm sure that its the same as the 67's. Its got the HD3, gen 5 light engine..

I just want to be extra sure before I commit to anything...cause in canada these tv's are still pretty expensive.

peace

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 46
Well...I'll be damned!

Looks just like the R xx67!

Wonder why they feel the need to change the model number?

They all come from Korea!

You guys operate at a different voltage or what?

I learn something new every day. Thanks!

Username: Gtiguy81

Post Number: 1
I'm in the exact same situation as you James. I'm in Calgary and want to make damned sure if the HL-R5064 is the same as the HL-R5067 before I drop $2500+ on it. I haven't found any info on it either, except that it looks and sounds like the same TV based on specs...

Here, There Canada

Post Number: 5
TO THE MYSTERY MACHINE!!! =P

but yea.. I'm pretty sure its the same thing. And nah..no voltage diff that I'm aware of. The only reason I could see them changing the model # for certain countries is for tech support, in that they know all the 64's are in canada.. Maybe it just makes things easier for them, but harder for us. lol

I suppose I could call samsung and ask nicely.

Chris...I'll be sure to let you know if I find any differences right as soon as I find out. =D

slyblue
Unregistered guest
Canadian sets do not get the cable card nor do we get the extra tuner. We do retain both digital inputs, whereas the 67 looses the DVI. Otherwise they both are to use the same internals.

Post Number: 2
Slyblue, thanks for the info. Any idea why the Canadian units have these differences? Also, where did you dig up that info?

Thanks,

Here, There Canada

Post Number: 6
I dunno, but I certaintly dont mind that they dont have the cable card...

I'm gonna pick mine up next week. Thanks for the info sky.

Post Number: 3
I'm hopefully going to pick mine up in the next 1-2 months. James, Where are you buying yours?

slyblue
Unregistered guest
I believe it all stems from a US gov't legislation calling for movement away from analog to digital signals to free up the air waves by 2006/2007. As for the cable card,my view would be there isn't sufficient market demand in Canada yet.

KenP
Unregistered guest
Careful....I'm extremely disappointed in the HLR5064. I had an LG 61D with the HD2 Chip and it had better user controls and picture. I regret my purchase and will be making a switch.
On paper I thought the Samsung would be better than my older HD2. The Contrast was better and brightness was better + the Chip was a 3 rather than a 2....being the simple guy I am I had to assume that those three improvements alone would have given me a better pic...nope..I was wrong.

Amongst other things the Samsung has a discoloration on the screen when turned off. Sammmy address's this issue with their owner manual and say it's normal (don't call) - My last unit didn't do that.
Next - when watching something like CNN the Sammy doesn't allow the whole pic to be framed (no zoom 1-2-3) the ticker tape and the bottom of the screen is cut off and if I use my HiDef satellite box to adjust the pic I end up losing whatever is on the top of the screen (can't win).
The remote looks like its from the 80's and does the unit a diservice (doesn't belong together)

I don't recommend this unit - I wanted to like it but it just isn't a good unit - the lipstick is nice (stand+floating design) but the pq is not what I think it should be.

Non digital channels are awful and embarrassing to show - the system that Sammy uses to improve analog pq is pretty well non-existent and in my opinion is just a placebo to make you think something is happening - I also had an old projection unit (toshiba) and the analog pic was better on that - there's no way with 2005 technology that analog sigs. should be so bad.

I'd love to hear other opinions on this unit.

Is there such a thing as an HD4 unit and is HD3 (which is 4th generation) what is meant by HD4?

Thanks...want to read replies.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us