Pan DMR-E85H Didn't D/L Guide

Username: Sundance

Suisun City, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a Panasonic DMR-E85H so if I'm asking a stupid question, sorry.

My understanding is that you have to leave the unit off overnight for it to download the guide. Mine was off overnight and when I tried the guide 12 to 15 hours later it said "no data" I do have it set for "no cable". does that matter?

Thanks

Suisun City, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Also, does Panasonic (or anybody) make one of these type recorders that will show sat. (Dish Network) programing in the TV Guide?

Bronze Member
Username: Countryguy

Astorville, ON Canada

Post Number: 23
Do you have cable? If yes, then you shouln't have it set to 'no cable'. If you don't have cable then where is it going to download the TV Guide from? For me it took 3-4 days before the guide was downloaded.

Suisun City, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Gary,

I have no cable, I use an OTA antenna and from reading the manual I should get the guide from an antenna or cable. The only thing I can think of is the fact I live in the country so to speak (really no such thing in California) The OTA stations I get are 45 miles away in Sacramento, not the same zip code as I am in. Maybe it is looking at my zip code and finding nothing. You would think the TV Guide system would know that my zip code gets the Sac. TV channels.
Thanks,

Stephen

fx
Unregistered guest
"You would think the TV Guide system would know that my zip code gets the Sac. TV channels. "

Just curious, why would you think that?

I can't think of any device on planet earth that would know that (except you).

At any rate I guess you figured out to use the Sac Zip.

xvxvxvx

Suisun City, CA USA

Post Number: 4
FX,

"You would think the TV Guide system would know that my zip code gets the Sac. TV channels. "

Just curious, why would you think that?

For the same reason that when you go to the supermarket and buy a TV guide you get one that has the program for your area. When I buy a TV Guide at the market it lists programs for Sac. and SF in spite of the fact there are no TV stations within 45 miles of me.

"I can't think of any device on planet earth that would know that (except you)."

It's not a device, it's a program guide. What use would a program guide be if it wasn't customized to the area you are using it in. If it didn't know what stations I get in my area then there would be no reason to input your zip and the guide would be the same no matter where you live.

Going to give a sac. zip a try tonight.

fx
Unregistered guest
Stephen,

Sorry if I came across too harsh. My point was that at 45 miles away from the transmission towers there are likely several cities that you might be able to pickup transmissions from. I notice your TV Guide lists Sac and San Fran, both with entirely different lineups. How would an electronic device know which city unless you tell it (via entering a zipcode). Like I said when you read the TV Guide you know which city listings to read but a scanner would not.

I hope the new zipcode helps.

xvxvxvx

Suisun City, CA USA

Post Number: 5
FX, didn't take it as harsh and didn't mean my response to be harsh either.

Still... no guide after 3 or 4 days, at least one per. during that time was a solid 24 hours in standby and tried two diff. zip codes.

Is there email for TVG support or do I have to do it via the Pan 800 (always busy) number?

thanks

fx
Unregistered guest
Just so you know the Guide info is not transmitted on all channels. If you are not getting a local analog PBS signal (where the data is usually contained) you may never get any guide data.

You can call Gemstar TV Guide in Tulsa, Oklahoma, they may be easier to reach and more helpful.

xvxvxvx

Murray B
Unregistered guest
Nobody is born with the knowledge so I do not know how the question or the asker could be considered "stupid".

The E85 and other models with the TV Guide feature will automatically scan for a channel that contains the TV guide listings embedded in the signal. There is no technical reason that this information could not be broadcast over the airwaves. That does not mean, however, that everyone will be able to get it. There are even cable users that can't get the guide.

Since the TV guide process is automatic for the E85, provided that your machine is reasonably up to date, there is nothing more to do. It appears that there is no on-line TV guide listing for your area.

Username: Cornflew

I am trying to download the TV guide on-screen to my Panasonic DMR-E85H video recorder. I keep getting "DATA SEARCH FAILED" check to see that cables are properly connected.

I live in the Tulsa, OK area using a Cox cable Motorola DCT2524/1631/AL digital converter box. HELP!!

fx
Unregistered guest
Cornelius,

I know for a fact that the DCT-2524 will not strip out the giude data like the newer Motorola boxes now do. I also know that Cox in Tulsa uses compatible guide data from Gemstar. Be sure you are following the correct instuctions in the manual exactly, no shortcuts. Also you must leave the E-85 off for 24 hours straight wih no manual programs or any other interruptions or the guide will not download.

xvxvxvx

Username: Themurph

Hello,

I need some assistance with my Panasonic DMR-E75V. It's a great system with the VCR and the DVD together, but I can't figure out how to record channels (through my cable box)that are above 77. Do I need a splitter?

The guy from the store said to put the recorder on channel 3, and keep the cable box on the channel I want to record. But when I checked, there was no channel "3" to switch it to! And the manual is as big as an encyclopedia! Only it's difficult to understand and very confusing! Can anyone help me with this? Thanks so much!

Martha

Bronze Member
Username: Vibr84me

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 11
I am selling my Panasonic DMR E85H - 375 with high end cables. I upgraded and don;t have the space for two. Everything is there - let me know if you are interested. Try me at onehundredgirls@hotmail.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Oh I forgot that would be 325 in american funds as I am Canadian

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
To get the guide shut the unit off then unplug it. Next disconnect the cable to the unit. Now connect the unit to the cable and plug it in - It will now get the guide

Wiz
Unregistered guest
hey Vibe did you get the fix for Pan 2500a yet?
Thx in advance

CoxCommunicationsCustomer
Unregistered guest
Has anyone heard of the situation with conversion to digital programming (i.e. Cox Communications) whereby Gemstar's TV Guide programming information does not properly download to the Panasonic E85H? I have spoken numerous times with multiple individuals from Gemstar, Cox, and Panasonic. One representative from Cox confirmed what Gemstar says, which is this is a high-level issue (probably with no quick, easy resolution.) Cox claimed they would roll-back my account to analog (how, I asked), but for two months now, I can no longer receive TV guide programming info. Anyone else have a similar situation?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us