Which TV for DVD movie playback

Username: Peteczech

Post Number: 4
Good morning everyone.Some input if you please.I am in the market for a 50-56 inch widescreen TV that I will be using exclusively for playing back DVD movies.I would appreciate your reccomendations. Thanks,and have a good day.

Ogbuehi
Unregistered guest
Is size your only parameter? Price and quality will help determine that before anybody can give you any suggestions.

Bronze Member
Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 64
Pete:
If size is no obstacle, buy one of the very good and aggressively priced CRT based sets, Sony and Hitachi have some great ones. You will save a bundle. Also you will not layout a bunch of money while waiting for the newer technologies to mature. That said, take your favorite DVD ( better yet buy Spiderman II superbit version) and bring it around to see it on different models. If the sales person won't play it, move on to a store that will. That way you are killing two birds with one stone; finding the best set for you and a responsive store to purchase from.

Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 5
Pete,

The March 05 issue of consumer reports rated the Samsung HL-P5085W and the HL-P5685W first and third overall, and were the only sets to score "very good" in the DVD playback category. Their testing was based on how well the sets displayed a 480P signal from a progressive scan player. The only drawback to these sets in my opinion is the pedestal that these sets are mounted on (AKA Captain Kirk models). Unless it fits your decor.

Keep in mind that the sets were not rated by reliability, due to the sets being so new. If you read these forums much, it seems that the 85 series Samsungs have much fewer issues than the other Samsung models.

I don't put too much credence on consumer reports findings because I believe the factory settings on most TV's are not calibrated correctly, and I highly doubt that CR went through the trouble of tweaking the settings on each set. Another factor is the DVD player and cabling. Some sets have a better picture when using an up-converting DVD player, while other sets look just as good when the set up-converts the signal.

Bottom line, you need to look at the sets in the showrooms and see what looks best to you, and what fits your budget.

Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 8
I'd just go ahead and count on budgeting an extra 150-200 bucks for an upconvert DVD player. When you seen the difference it makes on an HD set you'll be blown away. I have the Samsung HLR5067 with a Toshiba upconvert DVD player all my DVDs look as good as my HD programming. I kid you not.

HS

Username: Peteczech

Post Number: 5
Thanks very much for the info and input. Of course most people would like to to spend as little as possible on their entertainment,but we also want to indulge in our passions as much as we can.Therefore,I am budgeting up to $3,000 for a new TV (plasma not included).Again,thanks,and have a good day. Pete
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us