LCD VS DLP-SOUND AND VISION MAGAZINE-6/05

DICK CHENEY
Unregistered guest
Magazine - Sound & Vision: June 2005

DLP vs. LCD

LCD wins, according to (3) Video experts, David Ranada, Al Griffin, and David Katzmaier. All (3) recommend , and prefer the LCD technology, as do I.
LCD had fewer problems with critical program material compared to DLP.

DLP:
Bright blacks (Blue tint background)
"Dirty-screen" effect (fixed-pattern noise)
rainbows,color wheel noise,fan noise,clay face,smudging.

LCD:
Better contrast(most crucial)
Deeper black (Better dark backgrounds)
Better picture detail
Picture unifomity (scored equally)

Makes you wonder why large movie theaters prefer LCD techology...Hmmmm...

fx
Unregistered guest
"Makes you wonder why large movie theaters prefer LCD techology...Hmmmm... "

Mr Vice-President,

please stick to politics, your grasp of technology is amusing at best. The major and newest movie theaters use DLP projection technology, not LCD.

Here is an example of why he offered no link:

"DR, DK, and I all judged that the Samsung DLP had considerably better shadow depth than the Hitachi LCD -- blacks on the DLP simply looked, well, blacker."

"We also all saw shifts in the LCD's overall contrast."

"The DLP did better than the LCD at maintaining consistent color as the image brightness varied. "

"Resolution test patterns showed that the DLP handled sharpness with high-def signals better than the LCD did."

"Which is the better big-screen TV choice: DLP or LCD? Our final tally finds DLP with a half-point lead,...."

Hard to believe a politician would lie to us huh?

Here is the link to the entire article:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=837

Always be sure to do your own research and don't rely on the above goofball to mislead you.

xvxvxvx

Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, Id.

Post Number: 3
Thanks fx for providing the link for the real test results. It sounds like both sets did pretty good (Samsung 5085 vs. Hitachi 50VS810) Although IMO the Hitachi is one of the worst sets for screen-door-effect. I think the Sony would have fared much better in that category than the Hitachi.

I think that most people would be happy with either set. One area that they didn't address is predicted reliability. With more moving parts in a DLP, I would think that the LCD would probably be favored a bit.

Actual quote towards the end was...
"So while DLP wins this battle, LCD came in a close second -- so close that both technologies deserve a careful look when you're out shopping for your next TV."

I think that sums it up perfectly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us