JVC's new 'G' & FH' series D-ILA's

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 58
The old JVC thread is way too long and since it was brought to my attention, I felt it was prudent to start a new thread on the new models.

Here is JVC's press release from the 2005 CES;
http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?item=445&pageID=1

Here is DTV City's somewhat updated info on these sets;
http://www.dtvcity.com/jvc-projection/jvc-projection-tv.html

The 'G' series are available from JVC's warehouse, but the 'FH' models (1080's) won't be out untill the end of the month according to DTV (per phone call).

Username: Pilot53

Post Number: 6
I just got off the phone with DTV City. They said that their rep called them yesterday afternoon and told them that the FH series will not be out until the end of September. They have pulled it from the website for a while until the delivery date is more confirmed.

I am still not sure if getting a 1080P is the way to go now. Based upon everything I have read, 720P and 1080i is about as good as what is going to be broadcast for a while, plus the HD-DVD and Blue Ray conflicts, makes me almost change my mind and get the 720P instead. Wait a few years until 1080P is more commonly broadcast and available, and then buy a 1080P set. By then, the price will come down on them too.

Pilot53

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 769
Pilot53-

That's been my plan. When I see a steady flow of 1080p content, then I'll step up. Until then 720p is more than enough to satisfy.

Post Number: 7
Im checking out the prices now. I may purchase this evening. I am looking at the local retailers to see what their prices are. Im in SoCal. The big bummer is Adelphia's cable sucks bad (their broadband set up is real good though). I hope I end up with a picture I can watch.

Pilot53

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 62
" the FH series will not be out until the end of September." that sounds more like it. Anything confirmed about the 'G' series, are they really there as I was told?

Post Number: 8
I was just at FRY's electronics. They had it for full price 3700. I told them I could get it for 2555 on the web. They said show me. I did. The best they could do was 600 off. Problem is add tax. Online, its 2555 plus shipping, no tax. Much less money. I have to find the best aftermarket 5 year guarantee.

Almost all of the online places have them in stock, ready to ship.

Pilot53

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 771
What size are you looking at? Have you checked out www.pac-2000.com?

Post Number: 9
I am going to order the HD61Z786. Looking for the best price including shipping and an extended warrantee. The warrantees are all slightly different. I want one that will fix what breaks, and replace it if it fries.

Pilot53

Post Number: 10
I bought the darn thing. HD61Z786. It is, I hope, a good TV. Did not buy it on line. Pacific Sales had it here for 3200, including delivery and hookup into the wall unit, and a 5 year warrantee-3 times the same problem, automatic replacement, which does not kill the warrantee, it still continues. No lamp guarantee, though.

I have to figure out which DVD player to get that will work the best. With only 1 HDMI input, I was going to use the cable box with it, so the DVD has to be component out. I guess the best ones will be progressive scan. Do any of the DVD's out there come 720P, or are they all 480P?

Pilot53

Username: Tommy_c

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 1
As far as I can tell, only a digital pass through will push 720p. I'm facing the same dilema: One Digital input, 2 devices.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
I have now had the 61Z operating for a month. It is a fantastic TV with a great picture. Only analog looks somewhat grainy. Digital looks pretty good. My kids are super satisfied. I have the cable box hooked up to component out, and the DVD on digital. I tried swapping them, and the picture on the HD channels had the exact same qualities either way. The DVD player puts out what ever the format is of the DVD you are playing. I have tried letting the TV do the upconverting or the DVD. The quality is almost equal, with the TV doing the upconverting, the picture is more controllable, but the quality is almost identical.

Because we have adelphia, and it sucks, the converter is a cheap peice of junk. Even on the HD channels, when there is a lot of movement, the converter cant keep up with the data stream, causing pixelation during high action scenes. I tried it with HDMI and component, and the picutre quality is the same, and so is the pixelization. The data stream does not have enough bandwidth to keep up. I do not know how they will do full 720P or 1080P without some major changes.

I am very happy with the TV. I will always think that I should have waited for the 1080P, but this TV is so good, that I would bet the difference in the picture will not be that great at 13 feet from the TV.

Pilot53

Mike Schmidt
Unregistered guest
Best Buy now carrys the "G" series! Whohoo! What do you guys think? Should I get it? I have been thinking about this pruchase for a long time but was concerned with buying online.

Unregistered guest
I having been read this web site for weeks now and still can't decide on a tv. It is between the JVC52G786; Sony KDF50WE655 and the Samsung HLR5067W. You JVC owners seem to be very happy with your purchase. Do you think there will be any concerns since JVC is the only one with this technology? I really like all three but for every positive comment, I read negitive ones. Which do you think is overall the best or is it just a personal thing? How is JVC to work with on service issues? Anyone have any thoughts to help me make this decision? Any reason to wait?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 796
Glad-

JVC, Syntax, Sony and Mitsubishi all make LCoS sets. The Mitsu and Sony are the top of the line models costing over 10k.

I've had a JVC HD52z585 for nearly a year now and we still love it. I'm very impressed with it and I would choice the JVC again over any LCD or DLP set out there. As far as JVC's service, it has been outstanding. My set had an issue early on, but JVC took care of it within days. Also, when the local repair center couldn't get me a new bulb for a few weeks, JVC overnighted one to me.

I'd say go for it and buy a new set. You'll be very happy about it. If you want the brightest smoothest, move vivid picture go with the JVC. You won't regret it.

Glad
Unregistered guest
Thank you Mr. Lynch. My gut has told me to go with the JVC, but the salesmen have been pushing the Sony and now the Samsung. None of the sales guys have pushed the JVC at all and I really liked the PQ. When you are spending this much money for a TV, you want to do all your research and hopefully not have buyers remorse.

Bronze Member
Username: Bangbang023

Brooklyn, NY United State...

Post Number: 26
We have the HD-56G786 on display at work and I have mixed feelings about the set. The colors are VERY vibrant and the black levels are equally impressive. However, if there is any grain in the image at all, the set seems to highlight it much more than almost all other sets we have.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Turn the picture down. If the contrast is high and the picture level is up, the graininess will be highlighted. I just turn down the picture a little bit, and it fixes it.

Beam me up Scotty: Scotty just died. James Doohan died today. Only Kirk and Spock of the spacey 4 still exist. I play cards every week with Nimoys nephew. He has played with us. He is a great guy, and one hell of a good poker player. Problem is our stakes is his parking meter money.

Pilot53

Username: Tommy_c

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 3
REmember...JVC was the only one with VHS! :-)

Username: Southbark

Post Number: 2
Tommy C.,

I saw your pics, where did you get your JVC stand? It looks black and I can only locate the silver one (RKCILAM6). Thanks.

Rockhead
Unregistered guest
Any help,Just got JVC HD-56G786 yesterday and when connecting DVD player with HDMI cable all I get is green screen. Tried two player's a LG-DVB418 and Toshiba SD-5980SU.Tried different
HDMI cable same thing only a blueish green screen.With component hook-up I get a good picture. On the phone with jvc two hours today.
Thanks for any help
P.S. The LG-DVB418 play's allmost anything

Username: Geek_girl

Post Number: 1
Please help,
For nearly a month, I have been enjoying beautiful HDTV on my new JVC HD-56G786 and Dish Network's 811 HD receiver using a component connection for video and rca cables for sound (I do not yet have a surround sound receiver). I just upgraded my setup to using a DVI to HDMI cable going into the TV's Digital IN. (the Sat. receiver does not have HDMI out). The picture is actually noticably better but now the sound cuts out for about a second, every 5-6 seconds. I've set the 'Digital IN Sound' to 'Analog' via the TV's menu, as the manual instructs. I've also tried sending sound from my DVD player into the Digital IN input and got the same sound problem. Does this mean the problem is in the TV? Could I have a TV setting that needs to be changed? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
After seeing the picture improvement using the DVI cable, I would hate to go back to using the component connections... Please help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us