Integrated HDTV tuner question

Unregistered guest
First off, I wanted to say thank you. I have been reading this forum for days and have learned a lot. I had one question thou that I would like cleared up. If I buy an integrated HDTV, but I dont subscribe to digital cable (My home owns dues cover expanded basic cable with no set top box,) will I still need an antenna to pick up my local HD broadcasts? Or will they display by connecting the cable line to the coax-in on the tv?

Thanks for the help

fx
Unregistered guest
It depends on two things:

1. Does your cable company provide it's HD channels with the extended basic package?

2. Do they transmit them "in the clear?

In general most cable companies do both for the non-premium channels such as your local networks. They also generally scramble the HD HBO, Showtime, Starz, ESPN and Discovery channels.

The worst that can happen is that you need to buy a $30 antenna if they are not carried on your cable system.

Besides you can always get an STB (from your cable company) and determine your own extra services from the cable company
xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
fx thanks for the info. Oddly enough we should all go work for the cable company. It appears that they have no idea about HDTV. After posing my previous question to 3 Comcast reps, each one told me something diffrent. The final one told me that even though the TV had a built in tuner, that I would still need either their STB or cableCARD to get local channels. Also, she advised me the HD was not OTA and that an antenna would not work. GO COMCAST YOU ROCK!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
Hi I have a Aquos Sharp LCD 45gx6u with an integrated HDTV tuner. I'm currently using a 508PVR from the Dish Network. I would like to know if I get the 811 rec is there any way I can switch back and forth between receivers so I can use the dvr when I'm not watching HDTV programming. I realize the 508 won't record HDTV. I also realize I can upgrade to the 921 but Dish Network has already informed me that they are no longer going to manufacture it. In their words it's
"obsolete". I realize I can get th 942 but the local sattelite guys told me that the 942 will be obsolete within the next 6 months due to the switch from Mpeg2 to Mpeg4. I really do not want to spend 600 plus on a receiver for such a short period of time. So is there a way I would able to hook up the 508pvr and the 811 so I can switch back and forth?
just curious or should be switching to Cable.
thanks
eliot

Username: Hammondrckr

Post Number: 3
actually I have a zenith hdtv. I went out and bought a signal booster and we get all the LOCAL hd channels clear as day.

Unregistered guest
Can anybody explain if buying a EDTV without a tuner has any major drawbacks ?

Username: Rf186

Post Number: 3
neelie, "a EDTV without a tuner" sounds like a flat panel deal to me, normally the plasma units sold without tuners & or speakers also tend to come without a lot of the other unseen gadgets which give our large tv's such a breath taking picture. Ask to see the tv hooked up and see what it looks like.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us