Will be purchasing a new samsung soon...need help!

Anonymous

new user on this forum....great stuff

Anyhow I have decided I will either go with the Samsung hlr5667w or 5677w because of the gen 5 chips..was also considering the 5674w but found out it had the gen 3 chip...

My delimma is which tv would you rank better in terms of viewing, dvd and gaming (xbox or playstation)

Also understand these new models have a cable card slot..what is that for?

Do you get a better picture with Satellite or Cable. Currently have DirecTV and Comcast is also available if I want to change.

sorry for all these questions but I would like to make a purchase soon if possible..

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 11
The 5677 doesn't have the gen 5 light engine or the HD4 chip.
It's basically a 74 with a digital tuner and a CableCard slot.
That should narrow your choice down a bit.
The 67 is better for gaming anyway. No A/V sync (game lag) issue.
The CableCard slot is something to forget about, unless you want to lose your mind from frustration.

Direct TV is exactly what you need. If your receiver doesn't have Pr, Pb, Y component output get one that does. I reccommend the Samsung SIR TS360 HD/Terrestrial off-air receiver. It combines digital network off-air with the Direct TV programming into the same guide and output.
It has a digital audio output for your SS Home Theater receiver too.

Bronze Member
Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 31
Directv would be preferable to me , but bear in mind that cable does offer on demand video, hd dvrs, etc with no upfront costs vs the out of pocket required for Directv. I have had both and when I went to cable I hated the SD analog signals. Interestingly the influx of digital sets seems to have forced Brighthouse to improve their signal, as I have noticed a big change in PQ in the last month or so.

Anonymous

Thanks!!!!! for your input guys.

One last question for you.

What would be the best receiver/home surround system to purchase with the hlr5667w ?

this surround sound system will be in my family room and the room dimension is 17x14 off my kitchen..

thanks again.

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 12
Gosh,

How much do you want to spend?

How full and rich do you want the sound to be.

Five speaker systems start at $200, but you can spend 10k.

I have an Onkyo 602B receiver. ($300 new on eBay)
Five channel x 80 watts per ch. at .07 THD
I have Cerwin Vega 12" and 15" floor speakers. ($1200)
I can crank it up and shake the house with Theater sound.

I checked out a Kliptch system for $2200 that that I really wanted, but I couldn't justify it since I had the other stuff.

Bronze Member
Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 33
I am with FYI. I also have the Onkyo 602b and find that it is excellent. I use the zone 2 speakers for my patio outside which allows Dolby 5.1 listening in the home theater room and a separate source (cd, tuner)outside by the pool.

Consider a Harmony remote to run everything in a nice family friendly way since these systems can get remote intensive.

Anonymous

Guys thanks again...

The system I'm intersted in purchasing would kick out a nice sound nothing to loud.

budget being around 3 k or around there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us