CableCARD or QAM problem?

Username: Phialpha

North Canton, OH

Post Number: 6
OK, starting to get a few problems from my CC setup. Getting the 161-6 error on my Sony KD34XS955. When this happens I lose all non-analog channels. So I reset and all is well....

But now I am seeing SEVERE tiling on 3 channels. When I bring up the diagnostics screen, those channels have an error amount anywhere from 5 to 30. Every other channel reports 0 errors. These channels are 521, 523, and 549 on the CC. Since these channels are locals (2 NBC's and a PBS) I thought I would try the ATSC tuner without use of the CC. These channels translate to 80.1, 80.2, and 80.3 and they exhibited the same tiling effect without the CC. Other info: one of the channels is digital but non-HD, so when I tried to tune with a STB and the channel looked normal (no tiling).

This sounds like a QAM problem, not a CC or cable system problem. Am I correct? Has anyone else experienced this?

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 133
Yes other people have experienced this...from the description of your problem, I have to ask: When you took the CC out and got the 80.1, 80.2, and 80.3 channels you were still seeing these channels through the cable tv service, is this correct or did you connect an aerial antena?

If you were seeing them through the cable, the QAM signal is suspect and should be checked by your local cable tv provider. If the problem was seen with the aerial antena, I would be calling the local broadcaster and asking them what's going on. You did indicate you removed the CC, but didn't clarify with or without CATV signal

Username: Phialpha

North Canton, OH

Post Number: 9
When I removed the CC, I autoprogrammed using the CATV signal. I'm thinking it's the QAM signal. Especially since I got my Q-box replaced (see my rant on the Cablecard thread) and things didn't get any better. It is definitely not the local broadcaster: 2 NBC channels and 2 PBS channels are tiling, and the ABC will not even show up anymore! I'll keep you posted.

Mike0607
Unregistered guest
161-6 buffer error is common on Sony TVs. We have had several subs with this. Sony sends a Tech to repair TV.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 180
Mike0607 we already covered that....

Mike W. if it's possible have them check your QAM with a spectrum analyzer, this will let them know if there are any bit errors in the QAM signal. A normal tech with a signal meter will not be able to check for this. Have them check your FDC (forward data carrier) and you general signal levels at the TV. Write down whatever they tell you and keep us posted. regards,

Mike0607
Unregistered guest
Excuse me.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 182
no ill will was meant Mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help