Help for Newbie

Username: Raf

Post Number: 1
Hello from a novice. I just entered the world of Plasma by purchasing a 42" Samsung SP-R4232 EDTV plasma. It looked great at Best Buy (as they were running HDTV through all the sets) but it looks much worse on my standard Direct TV set up at home. In fact, unless I play a DVD on the new TV the picture quality is worse than my 5 yr. old Sony Trinitron. Any way, I want this to work but I also want to be ecstatic with the picture on my $2500 investment. Questions: should I go ahead and buy Direct TV HDTV receiver in order to enjoy a better quality picture on the new tv? Also, I've checked with Direct TV and I have the proper dish for HDTV hookup so I don't need to change the dish. If I just buy the receiver at a retailer can I simply "plug and play" the new receiver and start receiving HD programming (assuming of course that I call Direct TV to have them start the new service) or do I have to have a professional install? Finally, I will be running HDTV into only one floor of my home (my other two floors will continue receiving normal Direct TV and have their own receivers) but the one tv that the HDTV will be running to has a splitter on the back of the receiver so it can run to a small kitchen tv. Does this affect my set up? Thanks for the assistance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us