Samsung HL-R5667W and HL-P5674W

Ryan M
Unregistered guest
After many hours of research, I have decided between those 2. I was about to buy the p5674 but saw that the r5667w has faster color wheel and higher contrast ratio. I looked into this but found that it has a triangle shaped pixel problem which makes it less sharp than HD2+,(5674w) but improves motion quality or something. I plan on playing 480p dvds, 480p xbox games, getting a DTV hd receiver, and hooking up my pc to it.

The r56676w doesnt have dvi input(I wanted to hook up my pc via dvi. The r56676w only has a analog pc in, not dvi like the p5674.(im sure analog input hurts image quality a lot right?) ive checked out dvi inputs at the store and saw that they were slightly different than pc dvi.

-Will the dvi out on my pc work with this tv?
-do I need to set a special refreshrate for this tv?
-does PC resolution work in Progressive or Interlaced?(1280x720i or 1280x720p?)If it doesnt, is it possible to make it progressive?
-what tv is best for playing games?
-Does the triangle pixels really effect image quality?
-Im also worried about the "rainbow effect". Im the type of person that usually notices the little things.

thanks, I plan on buying either one of these asap.

Ryan M
Unregistered guest
I would like to edit that the 5667w doesnt have dvi, but the 5674w does

FYI
Unregistered guest
I think you have been misinformed.

There is no diamond shaped "pixel problem" in any Samsung model. Some people perceive that the HD2+ produces a sharper image than the HD3 because it's a .8" inch chip rather than a .55" chip. If it were better, the HD2+ chip would be the only chip Texas Instruments would release to DLP manufacturers. Fact is, the HD4 and XHD4 are twice as fast at mirror switching than any previous generation chip. The HL-R5667WX has the HD4 and will be superior to to the HD2+ in contrast, motion rendering, and pixel spacing. A smooth picture with no noticeable pixel spacing is what we want. Where some folks got the idea that it is somehow a softer image is ridiculous. They must have had their settings off.

The R xx67's may not have a DVI input, but they do have an HDMI input, which is the same thing with the addition of audio. Everyone knows that you can by adapters to convert one to the other or even purchase a cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other. I'm not sure who is using these inputs for PC, though, since there is a seperate monitor input for PC's on both models you are considering. You have a monitor output on your PC, I'm sure. You may need a video driver called "Powerstrip" (Google it!) to properly size your PC display on the set you choose.

No, there is no refresh rate adjustment on either model.

All models are 720P displays only. Your pc will display fine.

The new R xx67 is your best bet for game boxes, although you will get much higher resolution from PC based games. The latest game boxes are only 480P and you must use component RGB video cables to utilize it.

Yes, the triangle pixels really effect image quality. They make it better by reducing pixel spacing to nothing. You can put your nose on the screen and not see a screen door. (ie: pixel spacing)

If you don't see rainbows in the store model, you won't see them in any model. Very few people see the color triplet created by rapid eye movement. The use of 2.6 inch seven segment color wheels at 10800rpm have virtually eliminated this effect.

I'll be selling my HD3 and buying an HD4 next month.
I really enjoy my HLP5063, but I want an HLR6167WX.

Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 5
Ryan,

Let us know which one you go with and tell us about it after you've had time to check it out.

Best regards!

wade holborn
Unregistered guest
I just upgraded from a 30" Samsung CRT to the Samsung 4667 last week and I'm very pleased with it. My Samsung DVD player has a DVI output and I purchased a DVI-HDMI adapter to get digital output to my new TV. The color quality was great using HDMI, but the pixilation was easy to see. I now use component connecitons to output the video to my TV. The color is duller than the HDMI connection, but no pixilation is seen at all.

As for outputting DVI from your computer to your TV, I tried to do that with my 30" Samsung TV with DVI and it didn't work. I was never able to get a digital picture to my TV no matter what I did and I fix computers for a living. I have a component output that I'll be outputting from my computer to my new 4667 TV, but if you have a VGA output from your computer I would use that port. I do not think you'll be disappointed with the picture quality. The VGA port on the TV is designed for a computer signal and it will receive the signal well.

Paul2005
Unregistered guest
Has anyone with a Samsung HL-R4676W or HL-R5667W experienced lag in sound while watching HD channels or non-HD video (like CNN, DVD played on older DVD players, etc)?

I bought a Samsung HL-P4667W and it had a lag problem. The image was real nice for the HD channels, but the sound was lagging even if I played DVDs, video recorded and played using a camcorder, etc. I have return my TV, shopped around, and realized that I really like Samsungs. I am considering buying the HL-R4667W or HL-R5676W models, but I would like to know about the sound performance. As far as the video, I can actually see the diamond-shaped pixels if I am real close (2 feet) away. But from normal viewing distances (6-10 feet) I couldn't see anything.

Bronze Member
Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 54
Paul:
Are you using the internal speakers or a surround sound receiver when you have the lag?
There is an adjustment in the service menu for audio sync through the TV speakers, but it does not help with surround sound receiver. Turning off digital noise reduction and DNIE really helps with video lag since less processing is done. It also coincidentally helps PQ to be more realistic as well.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 26
Paul,

The new R series sets apparently don't have the lag problem as several owners have posted their praise of the sets on this forum.

Anonymous

I have a HLR-5677...It is a great set so far and for Ryan...if you haven't bought, it has a dvi and hdmi input. Wondered if anyone had any ideas on this...I attached my surround sound via the audio out jacks in the back of the set. As long as I mute the internal speakers I get the audio out to the surround sound. As soon as turn the mute off, the surround sound goes off. Have I set something up wrong? Great set so far..super HD and sound.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 29
Are you not using digital coax or digital optical output from your set top box to your surround sound receiver? (bypassing the set)

If your set top box doesn't have a digital audio output you need to get one that does. It's the only way to get all the channels of Dolby 5.1 or DTS.

Anonymous

I have a Dishnetwork DSS. I was running the dvd,sat controler into the set and trying to use the audio out jacks on the set to a Bose surround sound system that only has three inputs. I guess I may have to buy a A/V controler/amp. thanks for the info.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us