HELP With Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD Box!!!

Username: Wildness

Post Number: 2
Hello all!! I'm new here. Just got a new HDTV and I need all the help I can get!!! I'm not a nOOb when it comes to electronics, for the most part, and I build my own PC's. That said, this is my first venture into the world of HDTV..

I have Time Warner Cable, and my experiences with them recently has been VERY bad, to say the least. Before I go into details, let me lay out my equipment for you:

Sharp 37" 37D7U LCD TV
Pioneer VSX-811D Receiver
Philips DVP642 DVD PLayer (PLays anything u throw at it)
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD box from Time Warner.

Ok, here's where I'm having some difficulty:

I need some help with this box. First off, I am hooked to the Sharp 37D7U via DVI and L/R RCA to 1/8 inch stereo jack (no RF coax at all). The box is RED HOT to the touch, and the BYPASS light won't go out, and I can't figure out why. I use Time Warner Cable, using Passport. The GUIDE and INFO trick doesn't work with Passport. I can get into a grey screen with info by going to Ch 998. Let me also say the only reason I know about this is because I asked the tech what he was doing when he was messing with the box. Otherwise I would have never known. Here is some stuff I found in there:

Ch 998 Passport 3.3 Build 017
FDC 106.000 MHz 0dBmV
RDC 20.000 MHz 33dBmV

Then while at channel 998 I press Select and Exit keys on STB and get another menu with about 10 pages of stuff unfamiliar to me. And I wouldn't want to start changing stuff in there because it all looks greek. It's got IP addresses and a bunch of other stuff.

Driver Version: 3.8.3.1sp. I can't find the firmware version. Nowhere on those menus do I see FW.

I cannot figure out how to get into an HDTV setup wizard, like those people with SARA have, so does anyone know how to do it with passport??? I hit SETUP on the remote, but the only options I have in there are VERY limited. I CANNOT change the output (480p, 720p, etc...) I think it's all stuck at 1080i, but I have NO WAY OF KNOWING!! Before, when I had the STB hooked up via Component, I was somehow able to select those output modes. Now that I'm on DVI I cannot. So I don't know if the box is really putting out 1080i or upscaling things, or what. All I know is, on my tv I can no longer use Smart Stretch, 4:3, Zoom, or Stretch. It's just stuck at stretch.

Also in the limited setup menu accessed by the MENU button on the remote, I was able to turn off the power output in the back (for plugging in a tv). I shut that off because I figured that's what was making the STB so hot, but that disn't do anything.

In summary, I am in search of your help with the following:

1) Why is the 3250HD's BYPASS light on all the time????
2) Why is the 3250HD HOTTER THAN THE SUN (especially in the front left quadrant)
3) How do I get to an HDTV Setup feature with useful options like Output setting (720p, etc)
4) What the hell am I doing wrong????

Post Number: 3
Anyone????? Help Please!

Wilson Pickett
Unregistered guest
You should go to Scientific Atlanta's website, where you can read the User Guides.

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/ExplorerClubGuides/getting_started/752313.pdf

It tells how to get into the Setup Wizard.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the link, but he GUIDE and INFO buttons do nothing for me, since the box uses the crappy PASSPORT software that Time Warner put on. I really hate them (TWC)

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 130
Did you try just going into the settings/more settings and change the output format from there?

Username: Error_232

Post Number: 2
Press the Guide and Info button simultaneously when the box is turned off and the wizard should pop up. Press the (A) on the remote control to start the wizard. Regardless if you are a pASSport(Motorola) site. Based on some documentation that I found this should work.

Username: Error_232

Post Number: 3
My bad Passport=(Pioneer).. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us