Need Advice RE. DVD Recorder

michele3400
Unregistered guest
I would like to get my husband a DVD recorder for Father's Day but I have spent so much money over the years,making bad tech decisions that I am nervous! Costco has an Emmerson EDVR9SE. Does anyone know anything about this model? It is selling for $399.

Would I be better off buying a different model (even if it costs more)

I'm not sure what I should be looking for and need your help!

Thanks,

Michele

Username: Nickyt

EdinburghScotland

Post Number: 1
Hi Michelle,

I bought the Panasonic DMREH50 and couldn't be happier with my purchase. It has lots of great features eg

o You can record onto your hard drive while playing a dvd (or indeed record onto a dvd while playing an recording held on your hard drive.

o You can watch a recorded item when you are still recording it (eg say you set the timer but arrive home early - you can play the item from the beginning while the end is still being recorded (and you can fast-forward through the ads!)

o It 'dubs' i.e records from hard drive to dvd or vice-versa at high speed

o The picture quality is perfect. A number of different quality modes are available and I've had no need of the high quality mode as the lesser ones have proved excellent.

o if you are recording and you run out of space, the recorder automatically switches to the other drive (eg when a dvd is full in the middle of recording, it continues recording to the hard drive for you).

o It is now multi-format (Panasonic's were always considered fantastic machines but were previously more limited in the formats they could record onto - now they can happily record onto the DVD-R format which can be played happily on most other machines).

There are lots of other great features which I'm sure your husband would love you for! If it does happen to be beyond your price range, you might like to consider two things:

o if you would like your dvd recorder to have a hard-disc (I couldn't live without it now and it saves a fortune on discs)

o if not, you might want to have a look at the Panasonic DMRES50 as an alternative.

A bit biased I know but I did try an LG recorder first of all and returned it in favour of the Panny. Good luck!

Username: 5buglets

Post Number: 1
Hi Michelle,
I have this DVD Recorder and am luke warm on it. The recorder works ok when it works but finding disks can be a pain. In the instructions it says that it works with disks up to 8x but in reality anything over up to 4x causes it problems. The recording quality seems to be good. The price was great but I will probably be upgrading in the next year. Get a machine that is more versatile. Right now I'm having an issue with it not being able to record a slide show that I made on the computer. It keeps saying that the program is not allowed to be copied! Hmmm...I didn't copy protect it.

Username: 5buglets

Post Number: 2
Ooops! I didn't notice the price you were paying. Mine is a VCR/DVD Recorder and it cost about $270 at Walmart. You can do better for that kind of money, escpecially if you just want the DVD Recorder.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us