High-end analog TV or low-end HDTV?

Username: Amiles

Post Number: 1
Current reception is analog cable (though digital cable might be available soon). By the way, not even worried about HD reception yet. Went out looking at TVs today and liked the Sony KV27FV310 the best. Also saw a few 27" HD sets (I think they were Samsung and Zenith) for about the same price - all about $600. The HD sets seemed to have a smoother picture, but they lacked the detail of the Sony. Any advice? Plus, can someone tell me if the HD sets will convert the interlaced cable signals to progressive? And if the Sony 3D comb filter could also be causing the picture to break up a bit? Lesser quality sets seem to look smoother, just not as sharp. Does this make sense?

Anonymous

There are couple reasons SD programs don't look as sharp in HD than SDTV. 1. The method of displaying is different. HDTV is by pixels and SDTV is by lines. That is why you see a smooth picture but not a sharply focus picture on HD sets. 2. Store HD display models, especially the cheaper ones like Samsungs are usually hooked up using the coax, not the component or composit video which does not do HD sets justice. A fair comparison should be SD programs on SD set and HD programs on HD set.

Anonymous

Aaron,
My 2 cents. The samsung and zenith $600 HD sets are junk. Don't waste your money. The Sony FV310 is top of the line analog. Notice the 3D comb filter which is the best. A 3 line comb filter is not as good. IMHO buy the Sony now and wait for HDTV prices to fall.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us