Warranty Opinions

Username: Lazyasseveryday

Post Number: 1
I have a serious question. This site was just brough to my attention, and I have read through a couple of threads already. I am a Circuit City sales counselor. Now part of out program with our electronics is our extended gurantees. They are judged pretty much by price point. Now in your opinion, on big ticket items like big screen televisions, for example the Sony Grand Wega, Sony XBR, Samsung DLP, do you feel that it is good to have an extended gurantee. I understand that some people do not want them, and you can not convince them to get them, but I dont work on commision, and I think if you dont get it, then your asking for trouble. Whats your opinions on extended service plans. Do you see the value in them or not ?

candymanaz
Unregistered guest
do you get employee discount?

james t.
Unregistered guest
Working for BBY for 10 years I thought it was smart to buy them since I saw how many people came in to get things repaired. But in reality, repairs (in home and carry-in) were a very small percentage of what was sold. I also noticed that items that needed repairs were either 1) Abused by the customer (blown speakers, viruses in pcs, jammed vcrs, etc.) or 2) Cheap brands (daewoo, e-machine, jensen, audiophase, shinsonic).

I used to buy them on everything but after a while I found that I never needed them because I bought better brands and I took care of my stuff. The 3 or 4 years would pass by and they'd expire. If I had saved that money I would have been able to pay for any repair that arose and had $$ to spare.
Things I never used extended warranty on and warranty expired:
Sony 32" TV
2 Rockford Amps
Yamaha Receiver
Sony DVD player
Hewlett Packard PC/Monitor/Printer
Pioneer CD deck
Whirlpool Washer/Dryer
GE Range
Maytag Dishwasher
Frigidaire Fridge
JBL home speakers
Yamaha powered sub
Nintendo Gamecube

The only item I ever needed repair on was a JVC receiver that I abused myself by hooking up 6 ohm speakers to it and blew some fuses.

Bronze Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 13
80% of extended warranties for electronics are
never claimed. sounds like a cash cow. moo.

Bronze Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 14
thread under advice please.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us