Problems with Sony DVDs

Username: Cbohanan

Post Number: 1
I read in one response that there have been problems with Sony DVDs. I resently purchased a Sony DVR, and I have found two different Sony disks to do strange things -- like after recording in SLP speed a 2-hour program, which should mean that there are 4 hours remaining in SLP mode. But then I find I cannot record more than an hour or so. Is this a common problem with Sony disks? Should I avoid using that brand?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1038
When you look at the disc, how much of it is unused?

Post Number: 2
That's the odd part -- on the disc I was recording on last night, there was already a 2-hour program in SLP mode, and I tried to record a three-hour program on the unused space. The title list indicated that there was about 67% of the disc available, which was correct. But it only recorded an hour and 8 minutes in SLP mode. I later erased that program and tried to record a four-hour program, and once again it stopped recording after about an hour and 8 minutes.

When someting similar happened to a different disc a few weeks ago, I decided the disc was bad and threw it away. It was only this disc I tried to use last night that exhibited the same problems. Both of these discs were Sony brand. I have not had any trouble, so far, with Memorex discs. Today I experiemtned with a new Memorex disc, set it to record for 6 hours in SLP mode, and it did it just fine.Are Sony discs known to be unreliable? Oddly enough, the DVR is a Sony also!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1045
Other people have had problems with Sony discs too. They don't make discs, they get them from manufacterers of DVDs and use at least a couple of different ones if not more. They are RW discs I presume?

Post Number: 3
Yes, +RW. I think from now on I will test the disc first before I record anything important.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us