JVC HD-XXZ886/786

Bronze Member
Username: Justme123

Post Number: 31
Anyone out there with the new models that cares to share their opinions?

I am close enough to the new 52" release date, that I am torn between saving the price increase of the new models Vs the advantage of the updated color management.

Thanks in advance!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Come on now, I know your out there!

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 34
Have you tried AVS Forums? I'm waiting for the same thing.

JimM
Unregistered guest
I called JVC yesterday, they could only say June release. When I mentioned that it was already June, they said July.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Now doesn't that just figure! LOL

And yes, I have been watching the AVSForum board, but they really haven't been too forth comming about results, more pi$$ing matches about where to buy than anything real.

Silver Member
Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 199
We are expecting a June/July release. However a Bestbuy lackey said October, who I hope follows the normal trend of their salesmen (mostly) being clueless.

Bronze Member

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 45
Rick Lyon; that user name looks awfully familar..............

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
video- Over at AVS I go by Kid Red :-)

Bronze Member

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 47
I know, it was meant as sarcasm..........

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
ah, sorry. I thought so, but wasn't sure and figured I'd not take the chance and played possum :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Mthom

Post Number: 16
Hey Just Me,

I was debating the same thing with the 61", but I decided that it was worth getting the newer model. They are several enhancements besides the color management, but who knows when the 52" will be out. If you haven't seen nit yet, there is quite a bit of discussion over at the other post (HD-52Z575) ... check it out.

Unregistered guest
Just got my new 70 inch JVC. It is absolutly amazing.

Username: Pilot53

Post Number: 1
I am waiting for the 61 inch 1080P to come out, hopefully soon. I have been reading the posts, and am getting confused by the DVR's and DVD players, progressive scan, etc.

When I get the JVC TV, other than my HD cable box from Adelphia (which really sucks for service), what other items will I need. What DVD player works best with the JVC? Do they come with DVR's to record programs? Do I need the DVR.

Another question I have is the quality of the picture when I am upconverting. Will the 1080P look worse or better than the 720P when it comes to upconverting and analog signals.

I have an electronics background with sound systems, and have a very good 7.1 system at my new house, so I do not have any sound problems. I just never got into learning all about the rear projection TV's. After reading here, and looking at DLP and LCD, I thought the JVC looked better and smoother. I just dont want to make a 5K mistake and wish I had bought the earlier model.

Thanks,

Pilot53

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
MT: Thanks, been watching that one also!
Have you taken delivery on the new 61" yet? If so, what are your first impressions (other than "Oh WOW") LOL.

Bronze Member
Username: Mthom

Post Number: 17
Just Me: Haven't taken delivery yet, probably next week. I'm definitely excited though.

Pilot: I'll tell you what I know (nearly all of which I've learned on these boards). From what I've heard, you won't see a lot of difference in the 720p and the 1080p, since most of the HD content is not in 1080p yet. But when it is, I'm sure you'll be able to tell some difference. Given the JVC's performance scaling up to 720p, I doubt you'll have any issues with the new model scaling to 1080p.

As for the other equipment, if you have an HD cable box, you should be set on that end. For the DVD player, you definitely want progressive scan (480p versus 480i). It seems that a lot of folks like the Toshiba 5980 because the HDMI output seems to provide an even clearer picture since the signal stays digital. But it also seems that the component connections also work great. I'm opting for the Panasonic DMR-ES10K DVD Recorder, which doesn't have HDMI, so I'll use the component cables.

If you don't have a DVR, be careful ... once you get one, you'll never be able to live without it. I have DirecTV with Tivo DVR and it has been amazing. But that's my dilema now when my JVC arrives. I'll need the DirecTV HD receiver with Tivo (and it's still expensive and DirecTV is changing formats and equipment soon). But I'll either get that or switch to cable.

As for you, I'd see if Adelphia offers an HD box with DVR (cable providers are usually renting them for $10/month). And if you wait for the 1080p JVC, it will have two HDMI inputs, so you can use HDMI for the cable and the DVD (if you choose).

I hope this all helps ... I would spend some time in the JVC HD52Z575 board too and read some of the 2000+ posts ... a lot of great information.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us